Any 12V power packs like this in the US?

Superu

Explorer
Has anyone seen a unit like this in the states?

This would be an ideal setup for the back of the Superu since underhood free space is nearly non-existent.

Comes with wiring, isolator, plugs and led charge status indicator. And, best of all it's portable so I can take it with me in different vehicles if necessary. I'm ok with the price, but would love to avoid shipping costs from AU! Been through that way too often over the past two years. :Wow1:

eugene

Explorer
Thats a standard battery box used in boats or sump pump backup systems, I've seen them at lowes and home depot. Just get one and a battery and chearer and inverter and put them all inside.

waterweber

Observer
I dont think that is a standard box. I would bet that it is much more heavy duty. It looks like a custom molded box.
This would not be hard to make though. We make big underwater batteries at work and adding the outlets and electronics would be simple. Getting the battery cells shouldnt be a problem either.
If I was going to make one I would probably just use a HD pelican case though.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
That box looks very similar to the one that I had for a trunk mounted battery in my '67 Mustang. Even if that particular unit is custom molded, you can find something similar at the aforementioned West Marine, RV stores, or similar. Shouldn't be too hard to build in the rest of the features.

Mekinac

Observer
Minn Kota make something similar.

Ideal for small boat, transom applications (boats that do not have battery compartments), this power center features easy-access external battery terminals that allow trolling motor leads and charger leads to be connected without opening the box. A built-in battery meter displays current “state of charge.”

Two 12-volt accessory plugs
* Two manual reset circuit breakers: 15-amp for acccessory plugs and 60-amp for trolling motor

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/battery/trolling_motor_power_center.aspx

RelatedImage.aspx

KG6BWS

Explorer
Minn Kota make something similar.

Ideal for small boat, transom applications (boats that do not have battery compartments), this power center features easy-access external battery terminals that allow trolling motor leads and charger leads to be connected without opening the box. A built-in battery meter displays current “state of charge.”

Two 12-volt accessory plugs
* Two manual reset circuit breakers: 15-amp for acccessory plugs and 60-amp for trolling motor

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/products/accessories/battery/trolling_motor_power_center.aspx

RelatedImage.aspx

I think thats the one ive seen!! i remember thinking about getting ti for just that reason, running a trolling motor on my jon boat.

waterweber

Observer
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think a flimsey West Marine Battery box is going to hold up during offroad travel. Those things barely hold up in my boat. They are too thin, too flexible, and get brittle in the sun. If the ARB box is that light weight I would never buy it.
The National Luna looks sweet though.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
All of those battery boxes are thin plastic and not really designed for hard core off road use, but I somehow doubt that the OP is going rock crawling in a Subaru, so for his stated use I don't see this being much if any problem.

Mekinac

Observer
Normally battery plastic box are thin and cheap I agree...
But the minnKota are thicker and stronger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz