Wheel Size

Long Shot

I recently purchased a previously owned AT Chaser trailer which I will pull behind a stock 99 4Runner. The trailer came with 17 inch wheels and 265/70R tires. The 4Runner is running on 265/70R16. Side by side the tire height of the trailer is about 1.5 - 2 inches taller than the truck. I was planning on changing the trailer to 16 inch wheels so I did not have to carry two sizes of spares, but I like the idea of gaining some extra clearance on the truck by changing the wheels on it to 17 inch. There are also a number of good sets of used Tacoma wheels for sale in the area, so was wondering if there are any reasons not to do this swap. I appreciate any advice.

zidaro

Explorer
17" wheels are a more widely accepted size for aftermarket -and OEM as of late, for that matter. It will be easier to get a tire in any size combo with a 17" wheel.
I am a fan of matching wheel lug patterns on rig to trailer for universal swaps if needed. Identical sets are a bonus if possible.
I think your question most relates to tire size, not wheel size, though. YOu certainly can get a 17" tire that will be a lower profile to match your runner. Or lower the ride height with less spring arch or whatever the suspension format may be.

Kayak Taco

If the trailer and the runner are both the same bolt pattern, you could run 265/75/16s on the runner, and use one spare for both (either a 265/75/16 or a 265/70/17). Those two sizes are just about exactly the same outside diameter.

Long Shot

Help with choice of aftermarket wheels

After seeing another 4Rnr with Cooper STT 295/70R17 mounted & talking with the owner who reported no rub issues or any pinch weld mods required, I mounted a set of 285/70R17 ST Maxx on the 17" Tacoma take off wheels I had purchased previously. The tire & wheel combo looked GREAT on the 4Rnr. The disappointment is there is not enough clearance on either the truck or the trailer so I will not be able to use the Tacoma wheels. DAMN.
Can anyone tell me what wheel backspacing & offset I will need to fit this tire on my 4Rnr? Any recommendation for a good aftermarket wheel would be helpful in limiting the choices.

JSimmons

Casual Observer
After seeing another 4Rnr with Cooper STT 295/70R17 mounted & talking with the owner who reported no rub issues or any pinch weld mods required, I mounted a set of 285/70R17 ST Maxx on the 17" Tacoma take off wheels I had purchased previously. The tire & wheel combo looked GREAT on the 4Rnr. The disappointment is there is not enough clearance on either the truck or the trailer so I will not be able to use the Tacoma wheels. DAMN.
Can anyone tell me what wheel backspacing & offset I will need to fit this tire on my 4Rnr? Any recommendation for a good aftermarket wheel would be helpful in limiting the choices.

I think if you were to place some spidertraxx spacers in there or a similar brand, you might be able to get the proper clearance. Out of curiosity, does the 285/70R17 fit in the spare tire location underneath the 4Runner?

4loco

aefe40e9-ea6a-742d.jpg
I have 5 17" SR5 2009 4runner wheels if you are interested. Not sure how they look but they are very common on Tacomas and 4runners. Wheels only. If you even decide to go the 17" route.

Edit: I appologoze. It looks like you've already tried these wheels! My bad. I think you might want to try some spacers or try some 17" fj cruiser alloy wheels. They give you about 1/2 inch wider stance because the offset is 15mm less on each wheel. It MAY help with clearance and they look ************** on 3rd gen 4runners!

Last edited:

Long Shot

I really am reluctant to use spacers. I know many people use them but I have been told that they are not DOT approved and in the future may become illegal to use except possibly off highway.

I am still trying to find an aftermarket wheel with the proper backspacing & offset that will give me clearance, but not set the tires too far outside the fenders. I was hoping to get a response from someone who might have dealt with this issue on their 3rd gen 4Rnr, or possibly a wheel expert who could recommend an appropriate wheel.

So far I have found two wheels that I think might work: ATX 17 x 8, 00 offset, 4.09" backspace or an ULTRA 17 x 8, +1 offset, 4.5" b/space. I understand the "If you mount it, you buy it policy" at the tire shops, but it does add to the challenge of going to non standard tires.

Joel, I intend to mount the spare on the back bumper on a swing out so am not concerned with fitting it underneath. I have read on other forums that people have managed to fit over-sized tires underneath by deflating the tire to get it to fit. Maybe someone on here can confirm this.

p nut

butter
The reason why you were rubbing is the (17" or 2nd gen) Tacoma wheels have a backspacing of 5.25" (or something like that) and 3rd Gen 4Runners and 1st gen Tacomas (16") are 4.625". Personally, I'd just run 265/75/16's on stock 3rd Gen rims, or if you want to go 285/75's, get wheeler's offroad rims (4" or 4.5" backspacing, I think?).

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I really am reluctant to use spacers. I know many people use them but I have been told that they are not DOT approved and in the future may become illegal to use except possibly off highway.

I'd share this concern on a vehicle, but am not sure it's a big issue on a trailer with much lighter loads and non-driven wheels. I have spacers on my Horizon. I bought them through Adventure Trailer themselves when I bought the trailer used and was looking to convert the bolt pattern from Jeep to Toyota. The original owner had spacers simply to run a little wider wheel track to lower the probability of rolling the trailer.

If you buy good quality spacers and install them properly I don't think there is a reliability or safety issue.

Just one person's view. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles