Suspension help

enzo

Explorer
I purchased an ARB deluxe bumper last weekend for my 2009 DCSB Tacoma TRD 4x4. I'm hoping to get this installed this weekend but need advice on upgrading the suspension to compensate for the weight of the bumper. I do not have a winch currently but might in the near future (Warn M8000). I like the stock ride height of my truck and do not want or need a huge lift. My truck has the TSB 4 leaf pack installed and only plan on upgrading the front suspension. What do you guys recommend? Whatever I buy I would prefer it be OME. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I put on the ICON coilovers when I installed my ARB. I do have a winch in my bumper, but I'm running synthetic line to keep the weight down. I love the ICONs! I have mine set for stock height right now and don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I used to bottom out the front on the parking lot here at work when completely stock. Now I never touch the bumpstops. Great ride at speed over rough roads, excellent highway ride. I can't say enough about how much I love the suspension. I also ditched the front sway bar when I installed them and have no regrets.

Also, when you install your bumper leave about a 1/2 inch gap between the bumper wings and your fender flares unless you want to hear it thumping everytime you hit a bump. To install the winch the bumper must be off the vehicle, so I would consider adding it before hand if possible.

enzo

Explorer
Thanks for the input. Im leaning more towards OME coils and shocks vs adjustable coilovers right now.

keezer37

Explorer
Your in between. OME sells replacements for the stock weight or heavier for bumper and winch. TRDparts4U recommended going with the lighter rate springs when I asked way back when. Personally, I'd rather go heavy than worry about being light.

I have what you have, ARB bumper sans winch. I also run the lovely but expensive ICONs. They're lasting a long time (50k and counting) and they are better than the stock setup on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles