FJ/FZJ80 vs. Double Cab Taco

haddix

Adventurer
I love my Dcab and would not trade it for an 80 series. It fits my needs perfectly. Extremely capable, extremely reliable and I usually get 22 MPG with mixed driving 24-25 all highway. A dcab tacoma is going to cost you quite a bit more than an 80 series though. I think dcab vs 100 series would be closer in comparison.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I love my Dcab and would not trade it for an 80 series. It fits my needs perfectly. Extremely capable, extremely reliable and I usually get 22 MPG with mixed driving 24-25 all highway. A dcab tacoma is going to cost you quite a bit more than an 80 series though. I think dcab vs 100 series would be closer in comparison.

How are you getting those mpg numbers?

I have a 22RE and the best I have seen is 21mpg on the highway. Maybe 'cause it's an old motor and fuel system design. I dunno.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Have you considered an FJ. I thought I wanted a tacoma, but test drove a FJ as well. Instantly changed my mind as I dont need a bed. It would be tight fit, but no more than a tacoma. The tacoma to me seemed real stuffy in the cab with just 3 people. The FJ is just a whole lot roomier than the tacoma.

4xdog

Explorer
I've owned an 88 XJ for about 20 years, and as it moves into retirement I added a 2001 Tacoma 4wd DC to the fleet a couple of years ago as its replacement. I thought about an 80 series, and still check the classifieds.

Things that affected my decision include:
1. Exterior size. I like the smaller footprint of my older Tacoma vs the newer ones or a vehicle like a LC 80. More like my XJ.
2. Open bed. This is a real mixed bag. Having an open pickup bed gives enormous flexibility hauling stuff. The engine from my 1962 Triumph wouldn't have fit real well in the XJ (or LC), but the DC is perfect for this. Dirty and bulky stuff are no issue. But I gotta admit I'll miss the closed rear on the XJ when I sell it in the next few months. For travelling with a bunch of stuff a closed back can't be beat for security and weather protection. Yeah, I guess I could get a bed cap, and may when the Tacoma gets into serious expedition camping. I'd probably go for the LC if/when this becomes my main goal.
3. Aftermarket support. About the same. Great options for both.
4. Economy. Edge to the Tacoma, but not by too much. And the 3.4 L in my year doesn't punch in its weight class, so the economy/power balance isn't impressive. 24-25 mpg would be a dream.
5. Reliability. Bulletproof both.

You won't go far wrong no matter which you choose. There's been a Toyota pickup in the family since at least 1981, so I'm a big fan.

Don

haddix

Adventurer
**** sorry the rig in my sig is my old 4runner. Did not get good mpg with it which it why I sold it. I now drive a stock 03 tacoma dcab. The mpg is going by my avg on my scangauge. I do drive like a grandpa though and keep it to 65-70 mph on highway.

Caoboy

Adventurer
**** sorry the rig in my sig is my old 4runner. Did not get good mpg with it which it why I sold it. I now drive a stock 03 tacoma dcab. The mpg is going by my avg on my scangauge. I do drive like a grandpa though and keep it to 65-70 mph on highway.

Amazing what cruising along and behind big rigs will do to push up your MPG eh? :)

As far as comparisons, I'd say while you get more 'stock' (if you can find it) with the SFA, Diff locks, etc, the double cab has a bed, which will help you more if you need it, whereas the LC won't, and you can't take off a campershell to use a bed.

The LC is also bigger (wider) than the Tacoma as well, going to be older, and is probably going to be needing more maintenance.

That said, the bed can sometimes not be big enough (access cab would be better in that case) and you'll probably end up with a 'rougher' ride in an empty Tacoma.

It's really apples to oranges, and they'll both get you where you need to go.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer

Those numbers still don't make sense to me. I've never heard of a 4x4 Toyota getting 22 in mixed driving and definitely not 24-25 on the highway. I drive like an old man myself and have a light right foot and between two Toyota trucks I have never been able to squeak past 22mpg on the highway. Corrected for tire size on my old truck I might have been getting 23mpg, but definitely not any more than that. What motor do you have? What size tires? I assume you have an auto trans. unless you swapped in a 5-spd.

It's not that I don't believe you...I just want those numbers for myself :drool:

4xdog

Explorer
I'd love those mileage values in my 4001 DC 4WD too! I'm around 17 city, 20-ish highway. I think I'm over 22 with the most feather-footed, well-adjusted tire pressure driving I can do, but not over 23.

My 2001 BMW X5, a honkin' heavy vehicle with 4WD and 3.0 L engine would easily get 22 on the highway, and up to 26 with a little bit of tailwind. My Lexus RX350 with 4WD and 3.5 L engine will easily get 24 on the highway. Yeah, the aero on my Tacoma ain't great. But the comination of tires, drag, engine-fuel management are seriously unimpressive.

Horribilis

Have you considered an FJ. I thought I wanted a tacoma, but test drove a FJ as well. Instantly changed my mind as I dont need a bed. It would be tight fit, but no more than a tacoma. The tacoma to me seemed real stuffy in the cab with just 3 people. The FJ is just a whole lot roomier than the tacoma.

I have eliminated the FJ since it doesn't have 4 bona fide doors, which is a requirement for it being a hunting rig where I will be toting myself and 2-3 other adults.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i like the wagon body for many reasons, but an either or choice between the two rigs in question, 4 doors AND a bed wins for me. i may be biased as i have been a toyota mini truck owner since the mid 80's and always wished toyota imported the dbl cab so i was going to own one regardless when they finally introduced the dbl cab taco.

and for the record i'm always between 17-21 mpg.

haddix

Adventurer
Those numbers still don't make sense to me. I've never heard of a 4x4 Toyota getting 22 in mixed driving and definitely not 24-25 on the highway. I drive like an old man myself and have a light right foot and between two Toyota trucks I have never been able to squeak past 22mpg on the highway. Corrected for tire size on my old truck I might have been getting 23mpg, but definitely not any more than that. What motor do you have? What size tires? I assume you have an auto trans. unless you swapped in a 5-spd.

It's not that I don't believe you...I just want those numbers for myself :drool:

Nobody is more surprised than I. I have the 3.4 auto with 265/70 toyo a/t. Whenever I first got the scangauge I was getting 18-20 but changed up my driving quite a bit and am now getting great mpg. Dont worry though its all about to go to hell. I have suspension parts sitting in the garage an am looking for 255/85's. Oh well :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles