African Outback Roof Rack

4loco

First of all, although this is my first post, i've been using this site for months! It contains a plethora of valuable, useful information as well as experienced individuals. So, Thank you!

Been doing lots of research in roof racks and I really like the African Outback flat style roof rack. it has channels on the top and bottom of the outside rails for mounting various items. Although there are a few rack similar to the AO like Hannibal, Frontrunner, and Bajarack, I believe these are inferior to the African Outback in terms of mounting possibilities; however I am open to learn more about the Hannibal and Frontrunner racks.

Does anyone know of a good dealer to get these racks? I understand they come from South Africa so I don't even know if its possible to get one to California.

If not, can you school me on Hannibal/Front runner Roofs racks on a 2009 4Runner?

Thank you,
SK

3Q_profile.jpg
http://www.toyota120.com/assets/images/3Q_profile.jpg

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/images/productimages/hannibalnew/TLCRack.jpg
TLCRack.jpg

1013053642_EWMo2-S.jpg

http://photos.dawsons.us/Myfjcruiser/White-Knight-Build/Roof-Rack/9170013/1013053642_EWMo2-S.jpg

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hello There.

Perhaps I can add a little to the conversation here. We offer the Front Runner roof rack system here in the US. It is a very intelligent rack system, offering the T Slot mounting capability on both the top and bottom of each slat. There are several companies using a similar design. The Front Runner racks run the slats side to side, and have a single slot per slat. The AO racks run their slats front to back, and have 2 slots per slat closer to the edge of each slat. There are a couple other rack companies in South Africa making similar products. As far as I know AO is not currently available in the US.

The Fourrunner poses a difficult situation for rack mounting. There are only OEM mounting points in 4 locations, 2 per side front and rear. This style of rack requires a track to be mounted to the roof line, so that the feet and basket can be attached. The concern is that 4 locations for the track mounting may not be enough, and the solution is to drill holes in your roof to insert nut zerts a added mounting. If that is not a concern to you, we can most likely find a solution for you in our existing stock. The Fourrunner is not a model available in South Africa, and consequently there is not a specific rack offered from Front Runner.

If you have other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers,

hankgs

Adventurer
"Baja Rack" makes a bunch of different models. Some have side rails, some are flat to accomodate RTTs. Google them for their website

4loco

Hello There.

Perhaps I can add a little to the conversation here. We offer the Front Runner roof rack system here in the US. It is a very intelligent rack system, offering the T Slot mounting capability on both the top and bottom of each slat. There are several companies using a similar design. The Front Runner racks run the slats side to side, and have a single slot per slat. The AO racks run their slats front to back, and have 2 slots per slat closer to the edge of each slat. There are a couple other rack companies in South Africa making similar products. As far as I know AO is not currently available in the US.

The Fourrunner poses a difficult situation for rack mounting. There are only OEM mounting points in 4 locations, 2 per side front and rear. This style of rack requires a track to be mounted to the roof line, so that the feet and basket can be attached. The concern is that 4 locations for the track mounting may not be enough, and the solution is to drill holes in your roof to insert nut zerts a added mounting. If that is not a concern to you, we can most likely find a solution for you in our existing stock. The Fourrunner is not a model available in South Africa, and consequently there is not a specific rack offered from Front Runner.

If you have other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers,

I have no problem drilling extra holes into the roof as long as its in the gutter channel. I have seen installs of AO racks in 4runners where they had to add mounting points and thats not a big deal to me if it will only add to the structural integrity of the rack.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Very well then. We might be able to find a solution for you. If you are interested, contact me directly by email, and we'll start looking at options.

Cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles