Tacoma w/ LC FZJ80 and GY DuraTrac 285s (33")

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Well this past Thanksgiving break, I purchased the DuraTrac 285/75 R16 for my Tacoma.
They are replacing my old dependable Terra Grapplers (lasted about 5 years and about 40K mile with still tread on it (these will be my back ups).

I mounted my new shoes on some old wheels from a Land Cruiser FZJ80 (1993) that I purchased earlier this year from a fellow member.
They measure 16 x 8... plus I love the Hot Wheels look of the star pattern. :D

Here is what the wheels looked like before.
FZJ80Wheels.jpg

Then after alittle sandblasting w/glass beads and rattlecan painting with Rust-oleum, they looked like this...
IMG_0050.jpg

Now the final product it mount....
IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

GYDuraTrac-Sideview.jpg

GYDuraTrack-rearview.jpg

They are classified as an All Terrain tire, but they look like Mud Terrains.
The knobs and valleys are larger than other ATs, compared to my Terra Grapplers (see in the bed of the truck).
So far all I have done was drive into San Antonio, they handled great on the highways and on a country road on the return trip.
No off-roading yet.

upcountry

Explorer
Nice addition! I like the wheels.

Can you tell me who made your rear bumper/swingate?

Good looking and seemingly functional truck!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
That's one tough-looking Taco, Amigo. :drool:
Are those tires the E-rated version? Please keep us updated as you put some miles on those DuraTracs. Curious to know how they wear on something other than a full-size pickup. I have really been debating what tires to go with once my OE tires finally bite the dust. Loving the look and traction of the DuraTracs, but not sure of their longevity for a daily-driver yet (I've put almost 33k miles on my FJC in just over a year of ownership).
:smiley_drive:
BTW, the wheels are perfect. Hope to see you around town sometime.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
The Bumper and tailgate carrier is by CBI.

The tires are E-rated.
I hope they do as well if not better as they wear down.
THe only complaint I have on my Terra Grappers was as they wore down, say past 30%, wet road handling and stopping was not very good.

I also think the LC wheels are perfect too! :)

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
love my dura tracs you will too ...what rust-oleum did you use ?i was going to paint my rims with the tire paint ?duplicolor...yours look great and easy touch ups...great looking rig ..

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My truck has a twin (well, close)!

I get a little rubbing at full lock in the front with the 285/75s. Nice rig.

294396_1765139828862_1850155450_1235215_4036865_n.jpg

soonenough

Explorer
Please keep us updated as you put some miles on those DuraTracs. Curious to know how they wear on something other than a full-size pickup.....Loving the look and traction of the DuraTracs, but not sure of their longevity for a daily-driver yet (I've put almost 33k miles on my FJC in just over a year of ownership).
SWITAWI - there are a lot of factors that play into tire wear, but I have almost 50k on my Duratracs and they still have a ton of tread left. When I had them rotated at 46k, they still had 12-13 32nds all around. The guys at Discount Tire thought I was lying to them about the number of miles. They couldn't believe 1) how much tread was left, and 2) how evenly they were wearing for an aggressive tire. 99 percent of my time is spent on pavement, and I do quite a lot of driving - I'm averaging right at 25k miles a year so far.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
SWITAWI - there are a lot of factors that play into tire wear, but I have almost 50k on my Duratracs and they still have a ton of tread left. When I had them rotated at 46k, they still had 12-13 32nds all around. The guys at Discount Tire thought I was lying to them about the number of miles. They couldn't believe 1) how much tread was left, and 2) how evenly they were wearing for an aggressive tire. 99 percent of my time is spent on pavement, and I do quite a lot of driving - I'm averaging right at 25k miles a year so far.

Would you dare compare them to the Mud Kings or Sport Kings for wear? I had a set of Sport Kings with 100k on them and they still had a lot of tread!

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
Thanks everyone... the Rustoleum was their Industrial sized cans (from Lowes).
I did not put any clear coat, yeah I know I should, but I did not, so I could do touch up's easier.
The truck is not a mall queen. :)

Oh I do not have any rubbing.... I have done the pinch weld mod and a 1 inch BL.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Thanks everyone... the Rustoleum was their Industrial sized cans (from Lowes).
I did not put any clear coat, yeah I know I should, but I did not, so I could do touch up's easier.
The truck is not a mall queen. :)

Oh I do not have any rubbing.... I have done the pinch weld mod and a 1 inch BL.

I powdercoated mine. Michigan winters can be pretty tough on wheels. I am debating on the "1 bodylift still.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
I powdercoated mine. Michigan winters can be pretty tough on wheels. I am debating on the "1 bodylift still.

I thought long and hard about powder coating... It was only $100 per wheel, included them on stripping.
Well I knew that these wheels could and most likely get scarred.. It would be easier and cheap per to rattle can paint it w/o sealer.
If I scratched them. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier