deep water and starter

xjaugie

Adventurer
Last week i was exploring the Outer Banks of North Carolina and after a few little deep water crossings the truck began to experience some starting problems. It appeared as the starter was hanging up, and some times took a few turns of the key the turn. Yesterday I spayed it real good with brake cleaner and the issue seems to have gone away. Is this typical for tacomas? I'm thinking the starter is original on the 95 tacoma, should I go ahead and replace it before it leaves me stranded, or just keep a can of brake cleaner handy? It does not look like an easy part to get to to replace as the header seems to be in the way.

DSC_5819.jpg

Danimal

Adventurer
Can you describe what the starter was doing when it was "hanging up"? You say it took a few turns of the key, so was it making a clicking sound rather than spinning?

Dan

xjaugie

Adventurer
When you turned the key you got a single click, then nothing. No steady clicking or spinning. I did remove the positive battery cable connection and clean it as well, but it did not seem dirty or lose. I'm figuring that the electrical connections to the starter were dirty and the brake cleaner cleaned off the gunk. I've been driving the truck this week with no issues.

Side note: because of a job change this truck has just become my daily driver for a 40 mile each way daily commute, not looking forward to putting the miles on the truck. For the last 20 plus years I had a company truck. But the good thing is that I do have a job, I guess....

Sebori

Observer
Had the same problem in my 07 FJ after some water crossing. I removed the starter (pain in *****) and cleaned it. After that not a single problem.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
If your starter had never had the contacts replaced it would be a good opportunity to pull your starter and inspect. Contacts ate cheap and can give your starter another 10 years of life.

xjaugie

Adventurer
I've got some other maintenance work to do tomorrow, Guess I'll try to get to it and change out the contacts. Thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles