Suspension (or other) noise - with mods and research

benk0

Hello all.

A vague question, but we're stumped over here so...

I've been experiencing a *clunk* in my driver's side front suspension.

It occurs at slow to slower speeds when going over small cracks/manhole covers/road imperfections. Never when starting or stopping. Never at higher speeds, even on terrain. The truck is setup with Sway-A-Way 2.5 coilovers, LR UCAs, Dakar rear leaf packs and 5100 shocks. There is an ARB bumper and Asfir skid as well. Everything's been checked from bushings to bolts and in-between at Sierra Expeditions.

Any other ideas on what to look at? Thanks in advance!

393522_10150411813426662_589796661_8512515_1121481901_n.jpg

Last edited:

seanz0rz

Adventurer
check torque on:
3 top shock mounting bolts
bottom shock eye mounting bolt
both lower control arm cams
upper control arm bolt
sway bar connections

also look for things flopping around, like a loose turn signal, winch cable hook, or lost tools.

even if you have checked these once, do it again! its very easy to overlook something. bolts need to be checked with a torque wrench against the FSM torque spec. things like the lower control arm cams will look tight but move around when the truck is driven.

my clunks turned out to be a improperly secured turn signal and my winch hook flopping around. i did find a few of those bolts were not tight though, especially the upper shock mounts.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
check torque on:

also look for things flopping around, like a loose turn signal, winch cable hook, or lost tools.

even if you have checked these once, do it again! its very easy to overlook something. bolts need to be checked with a torque wrench against the FSM torque spec. things like the lower control arm cams will look tight but move around when the truck is driven.

my clunks turned out to be a improperly secured turn signal and my winch hook flopping around. i did find a few of those bolts were not tight though, especially the upper shock mounts.

I had a similar clunk b/c my ARB bumper was contacting the fender during bigger pothole type bumps...check your bumper

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...er-noise-Help?highlight=sway+bar+interference

sseaman

Adventurer
I am chasing a similar noise on mine Sequoia after installing the 5100's on the front. Mine is most consistant when backing up. I just went through and tightened bolts again last night while waiting for oil to drain, still there this am.

Danimal

Adventurer
I know that there is a TSB for my 2011 Tacoma for a clunk in the steering column over bumps at low speeds. Not sure what years are affected by this issue. Mine definitely does it, but my '98 4Runner did it too so I'm no stranger to it. TacomaWorld has a few threads on this issue, though you have to weed through quite a bit of junk to find it on that site...

Does this sound possible for your rig?

Dan

upcountry

Explorer
Check the LR UCA bushings. I know they had a bad batch that was not properly fused to the arm eylet where it mounts to the freame and were having a few bushings disintegrate.

sseaman

Adventurer
I found a thread on Tundrasolutions pointing to the castle nut on the upper ball joint being the issue. The torque spec is 77 flbs, I didn't have my torque wrench with me last night but decided to try and tighten mine slightly on the drivers side. The nut was very tight but I turned slightly to the next slot in the nut and have no noises this morning. We will see if this is the long term fix.

benk0

Let me know how your test on the nut goes... My list of items to check is growing longer and longer!

Thanks guys!

sseaman

Adventurer
I drove approx 60 miles today, in and out of parking spots and the garage, purposely backed in some to test more and no squeaks thus far.

benk0

Scott, was your issue more of a squeaking noise? Mine is definitely a "clunk" as if something is rattling or loose when I hit these small bumps.

Also, I forgot to add... it really doesn't happen if the air temperature is above about 70 degrees! Strange...

Someone on TacomaWorld suggested that it might be low nitrogen levels in the driver's side CO? Has anyone had an experience with this?

Thanks again!

benk0

Thanks for all the help guys... to close the thread, I got my issue solved. The SAW CO were EXTREMELY low on nitrogen. When we went to fill them today, we emptied them first. The passenger side hissed off about 1.5 seconds of nitrogen and the driver's side pretty much had none in it. 200 PSI and the truck feels like I got a new suspension installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles