2nd gen Tacoma frame reinforcement

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Has anyone boxed their frame??? I have found a lot of info for the 1st gen tacomas but not much for the 2nd gen 2005+

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've not seen much for the 2nd gen frames but after 6-7 years on the road/trail we are not seeing the frame issues that the 1st gen trucks were seeing in less time thus I don't know that there is a realized need for them. Motor mount beef up kits are available for the 2nd gen Tacoma's.

upcountry

Explorer
Just curiously, what would one use a motor mount reinforcement kit for? Is there an issue with the motor or tranny/transfer case mount?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
There is an issue with some 2005/2006 Tacoma motor mounts caving in with heavy use/rusting issues...the mounts are a weak spot if you look closely...I inspect mine about every month and check the welds...
I am looking into having DMZ fab reinforce my motor mounts as a preventative measure this winter...am planning a 80K mile rehab for the old girl...and was wondering if while at it I should box the rear frame...

upcountry

Explorer
I did not know that. Thank you for the response.

I did notice the absurd amount of rust on the rear leaf spring shackle when I was replacing the spring packs. Not sure what happened to Toyota's powder coat program.

I have been planning to use some Eastwood rust prevention products this summer to slowly work my way through the frame and treat as much as I can reach. Now I'm going to look at the motor mounts too!

cruiseroutfit

...Not sure what happened to Toyota's powder coat program.

The EPA and manufacturing deficiencies unfortunately, however its only seemingly effected their US built products including the Tacoma unfortunately. Take two identical year vehicles, say a 99 LC (Japan) and a 99 Tacoma (US, frame built by Dana), assuming similar miles and use in the Utah salty road winters... the LC will have no where near the rust I see on the Tacoma's (my own 04' included). Its pretty grimacing but some PM and regular cleanup can keep them looking tidy. I spend a day or so each summer cleaning and re-painting stuff under my truck to ward off the corrosion.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I plan on doing a complete frame resurfacing this summer with por15...being in AZ I don't have much more than some light surface rust on some welds but I would still like to keep it "fresh"...
upcountry...if you have an 2010 tacoma I think the mounts have factory gussetting if you look close...not sure but I think somewhere around 2007 the frames came with strengthened motor mounts...
x2 on the us manufactured products/frames...the frames on my 60 and 80 series Land Cruisers are both black and waxy with no surface rust at all...
But back on topic...I was planning on boxing the frame in anticipation of possibly adding a utebed/FWC finch...planning on addind airbags for the camper and thought the frame would be a better platform for the bags if I boxed it??? Opinions on this???

cruiseroutfit

No opinion either way, I've got a lot of 2nd gen customers with heavy-heavy builds with zero reported issues but then again its hard to predict what will happen in the next 5 years as the trucks age and get used & abused. Fwiw I have no intentions to box my 2nd gen frame (upcoming build) and while I don't have a FWC or similar cmaper, 500lbs of gear in the back and serious flogging are fully expected. On my Gen 1 I've cracked frame motor mounts, trans mount, bumper brackets, lower control arm, shock mount tabs and the front lower cross-member... the bed/frame has held just fine with the standard frame reinforcement :D

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I've seen alot of talk about the rear frame section on the second gen not being boxed... what most people miss is the fact that the rear frame section i.e. the part not "boxed" is DOUBLE C-channel. I was told by someone in the know IRT frame mfg process and tech that this was probably done to eliminate frame rusting out issues experienced with gen one Tacoma frames i.e. nothing is trapped back there because all moisture/mud/salt/humidity can escape. It's the same amount of high strength steel it's just sandwiched vice boxed.

My frame and motor mounts are doing fine so far :)

Last edited:

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
The tranny crossmembers are prone to cracking as well as the motor mounts caving in.

MonkeyProof on TW had large cracks, I have a tiny crack forming, and I know one other guy locally with small cracks forming.

I'm planning on drilling my crack, welding it and then smoothing it over with a flap disk.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

...MonkeyProof on TW had large cracks, I have a tiny crack forming, and I know one other guy locally with small cracks forming.

I'm planning on drilling my crack, welding it and then smoothing it over.

These are trans crossmember cracks I assume? Any pics you could share?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles