Stock tire location

2scars

Adventurer
Has anyone really damaged their spare under the rear of the truck. I was thinking about incorporating my spare to hold up part of my sleeping platform, but I just can't see dealing with all that. I know it looks cool to build a swing out carrier, but that kinda weight back there is not real good for the trucks frame, and then we get to throw money at that. I am going with a few buddies to Moab and kinda doing our first cross country expedition. I will be building a rear bumper to handle the abuse that may come its way on the trip, but really don't want the weight back there. I would like some thoughts on this however. thanks guys.

Brandon

P.S.--Not a rockcrawler, running 32" by 10" Muds

Expedition Leader
Which Toyota truck and what year are we speaking of? Toyota puts the spare on the tailgate of the FJC, and the frame handles it just fine.

Many people (myself included) would not want to give up cargo space for a spare, hence the popularity of swing-out bumpers.

2scars

Adventurer
Sorry, sorry

Sorry, I thought I had a Sig line attached. The truck in question is an '04 Tacoma Xtra cab.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
You ask some very valid questions and make some good points 2scars.

I have a rear bumper swing-away on my 4Runner so I can carry a full size, 33-inch spare, AND a Hi-Lift jack and a can carrier. I don't like for the extra weight, or that it's higher, but to carry those things outside the car it's a solution.

If you don't need a swing-away then I agree, it's nice to avoid one. In addition to the weight, I find it a bit of a pain to open the swing every time I want to open the rear lift-gate during errands, and it's a bit heavy for my wife to wrangle.

Often during the winter months when I don't need all that gear on the rear, I remove the swing-away (designed to be removable) and carry a one size smaller spare under the car in the stock location. I'll also carry this 'second' spare down there when I want to carry two. Seems the stock location works on most trucks, and is sometimes 'the best' location for a spare tire/wheel, as long as it holds what you want.

$0.03

Last edited:

Carl

Observer
I decided to fit my 255/85/16 in the stock location which can be done. Running BFG MT's and have not needed to use the spare so far. I prefer to keep the weight low and since I can count on one hand the number of flats in 35 yrs of driving, I "take the chance" of it being harder to access under the truck. Rear hitch does offer some protection. I also keep hi-lift inside behind rear seats on floor, down low.

Stick Figure

Observer
In my off road fun so far I have smacked the trailer hitch once or twice coming off of some rocks, but never the tire in the stock location (00 4runner). That's not to say that the hitch didn't save me from needing a new tire, rim, bumper or all of the above in those instances. I would like to eventually end up with a swing out to be able to carry a second spare when needed or possibly to free up room for an aux gas tank, but then you run into the same potential problem with clearance.

Blender

Adventurer
I dragged the stock spare over rocks for almost 10 years. It's the original spare (only been used once) and despite interesting sidewall smears it still holds air. This is the P class Rugged Trail on an 01 tundra in the stock location

My current MT spare is in the same spot and hangs a little lower, but I am confident it will be functional when i need it most.

upcountry

Explorer
I decided to fit my 255/85/16 in the stock location which can be done. Running BFG MT's and have not needed to use the spare so far. I prefer to keep the weight low and since I can count on one hand the number of flats in 35 yrs of driving, I "take the chance" of it being harder to access under the truck. Rear hitch does offer some protection. I also keep hi-lift inside behind rear seats on floor, down low.

Pics please!

What vehicle is this on? There is no way a tire bigger than a 32" will fit in the stock tire position on a double cab second generation short bed tacoma. Hence the swing gate.

I forgot what vehicle this thread was about.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I had a '90 Toyota extra cab with factory 31's and the spare was mounted underneath. The only problem I ever had with it was it getting muddy/dirty and then needing it to replace a flat, or the cranking mechanism getting gummed up and being really hard to crank. Did a lot of trails in Moab and never hit the spare tire. Usually hit the hitch in the rear, or the transmission cross member.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Pics please!

What vehicle is this on? There is no way a tire bigger than a 32" will fit in the stock tire position on a double cab second generation short bed tacoma. Hence the swing gate.

I forgot what vehicle this thread was about.

Way. I had a 285 spare underneath. It will require modification of the tire support brackets but it will tuck in nicely between the springs in my first gen. I have seen it on second gens, too. I have a swingout now.

Last edited:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Has anyone really damaged their spare under the rear of the truck. I was thinking about incorporating my spare to hold up part of my sleeping platform, but I just can't see dealing with all that. I know it looks cool to build a swing out carrier, but that kinda weight back there is not real good for the trucks frame, and then we get to throw money at that. I am going with a few buddies to Moab and kinda doing our first cross country expedition. I will be building a rear bumper to handle the abuse that may come its way on the trip, but really don't want the weight back there. I would like some thoughts on this however. thanks guys.

Brandon

P.S.--Not a rockcrawler, running 32" by 10" Muds

I only scraped my tire on a few shelf's in Moab but never really damaged the tire. You're right - a lot of weight behind the rear axle can put a lot of stress on the Tacoma frame. But if you're going to the trouble of building a rear bumper, why not consider building a swingout?

I'm not a rock crawler either but I did want all of my truck beds usable space for gear, fridge, etc. That's why I decided on a swingout. I also wanted increased range and that under-bed space is an ideal location for an auxiliary fuel tank for extended travel without carrying additional fuel cans. The Tacoma frame is weak at the rear arches but it's a pretty common practice to reinforce the frame in that area to give additional rigidity - I did mine and haven't had an issue. I recommend you do that to yours with whatever decision you make. You'll really appreciate the improved ride.

2011-05-21_12-42-28_593.jpg

upcountry

Explorer
Way. I had a 285 spare underneath. It will require modification of the tire support brackets but it will tuck in nicely between the springs in my first gen. I have seen it on second gens, too. I have a swingout now.

Okay, you got me here. The thread is about an 04' First gen tacoma.

I agree a 33" tire will fit on the First gen tacoma. I had a 1998 that had 32s on it and the tire fit well in the spare position with room fkr a larger tire. That was an extra cab like yours.

That said, a 285 will NOT fit on a second generation double cab short bed unless:

1)you store it deflated and use a ratchet tie down to pull it baxk towards the bumper.
2)you don't have a tow package.
3)you don't care if it rubs on the brake lines (hoses) and axle diff cap
4) you don't care if it hangs down like an udder on a dairy cow (several inches below the bumper and tow package.

I know this is slightly off topic but a good example of how in some ways the first gen tacoma is better sujted for mods than is a second gen.

But, its all irrelevant since I'm picking up my swing gate bumper on the 21st and can mount a full size 285 back there.

2scars

Adventurer
Trust me I have...

Before this truck I had an 85 and an 89 4Runner and was dying to get the requisite rear swingout on those. And they are functional and awesome looking. Tango did you use the "fish plate" style reinforcements or did you box the frame?

I will reconsider, we aren't leaving for the trip until the end of July, and I still have the clutch to replace on my list of must-do's. We shall see, thanks all for the insight and opinions, and to others that read this post, please post up your responses.

Oh, I also have the springs for it so it would be capable of handling the weight, All-pro Expos. They will be going on next weekend.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Plate reinforcement. OBTW, I first did Moab without a swingout and the tire mounted below the bed. Don't let the spare tire delay your trip...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles