Another project: Survivor 1992 4Runner

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Not that we really needed another vehicle in our family of 2 but we couldn’t pass this one up. We bought this ole girl from a gentleman my wife worked with at the school district. He purchased it brand new from Pueblo Toyota in June 1992. In 20 years he only racked up 122,948 miles on her! It is in great shape too! A true survivor.

Specs: 22R, 5 speed. The only option that I can see it has is A/C.

Issues: Needs tires, the rear window switch in the center console doesn’t work, temp gauge doesn’t work and the engine idles at 1,200 RPM. I already got a temp sending unit for it to install this weekend. I kind of wonder if the high idle is related to the temp gauge. If the ECM doesn’t know the coolant temp it may be commanding high idle all of the time. I hope!

Plans: Steam clean the engine, tune up, new belts, hoses, thermostat, coolant, oil change, install a new of Goodyear Wrangler Authority 31x10.50R15 tires and replace the auto locking hubs with Rugged Ridge locking hubs. This will not be a true expo build thread as it doesn’t need much for the duties it will serve us. Basically, it will be a around town runabout and the wife will use it to follow the big blue K10 along on trips to the mountains or desert destinations (the K10 is only a 2 seater). We actually picked up a 1989 V2500 Suburban in October for that purpose but the wife says it is too big for her (she is 4”11 and 95 lbs). The fate of the Sub has yet to be determined.

Here she is. This little rig will make a great tag along behind the K10. Almost the same color too!
6852394433_61e612376a_b.jpg

6852395433_cbb6ed9b9a_b.jpg

6852396333_ceb8e3c08f_b.jpg

6852397105_1d965177fd_b.jpg

6852398117_7f0a060df4_b.jpg

The little squirrel cage engine is dirty! The battery looks like a science project too.
6852393443_67c33c1b5a_b.jpg

The 4Runner will be a perfect little scooter to follow the K10 around. They even look like siblings.
5861307852_e23550d69f_z.jpg

These are the tires I have on a site to store order through Wal-Mart. They are some Goodyear exclusive tire for Wal-Mart. They look nice and the price is right!
0069766209363_300X300.jpg

These are the Rugged Ridge hubs I am planning to use. Anybody have any experience with these? Are they any good?
rr-toyota-lockout-15001.21.jpg

My old Toy. I drove this 1990 Hilux through college. Sold it in 1996 before I moved to Detroit (A Toyota would have been the wrong vehicle to have parked at work in a GM parking lot) Now that I am out of Detroit, I can have Toys again! And here you all thought I was just a pure Chevy guy :ylsmoke:
3130663047_9e4013a089_z.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
Cool :coffeedrink: The 22RE 2nd gens aren't too common these days. I can't wait to see what you do with it--one thing is for sure you won't be short on aftermarket support.

I don't have experience with those hubs, but I do with just about every other aftermarket Toyota hub out there. All others I have seen do not use the conical washers and are poorly designed compared to the factory piece. Stock Aisin/Asco manual hubs are some of the strongest hubs out there they get my vote hands down.

Last edited:

SC T100

Adventurer
That is an awesome find! Looks like it's not more than a few years old.

Stock Aisin/Asco manual hubs are some of the strongest hubs out there they get my vote hands down.

Yup...pull them off an older 4runner or pickup (like your '90). Used sets can definitely be found for relatively little money. You may need a few parts for the conversion but a few companies sell conversion kits (WabFab is one of many, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head).

Ps. The high idle might be caused by a sticky idle air control valve on the bottom of the throttle body...just something else to check. Also check into replacing the idle arm bushings ($10 and 45 minutes)...they are usually shot by that mileage.

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Ps. The high idle might be caused by a sticky idle air control valve on the bottom of the throttle body...just something else to check. Also check into replacing the idle arm bushings ($10 and 45 minutes)...they are usually shot by that mileage.

Good info. Thanks for that. I haven’t twisted wrenches on a Toyota for years. Guess, I need to order me up a Yota service manual.

Caoboy,

I personally haven’t dealt with any failed Toyota auto locking hubs but on the American rigs auto locking hubs are horribly unreliable. From what I read on yotatech, Toyota isn’t immune to reliability issues with their autolocking hubs either. Since I’ll have the front end apart to grease bearings I might was well add a good set of locking hubs.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Sounds good, will exit the thread now.

You are lucky, I was searching high and low for a 4cyl 5spd....I ended up with an auto V6.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I cry FOUL
Thief Thief
That ain't right that you found that killer burb and now you get an even nicer 4runner
Some guys :)

Seriously congrats on a killer rig!

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Those Rugged Ridge hubs look like cheap knock-offs of the OEM Toyota ones. I'd spend the extra money and buy the OEM ones. Piece of mind, if anything else.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
I cannot second this enough. Stay with the stock Aisin/Toyota hubs. Recently, some ********** decided to try to steal mine. Ended up just ruining one of them. Wel,, in my search for new hubs I considered switching to an aftermarket hub. I called around and talked to tons of local folks at different shops and everyone was very, very adamant that I should stick with the Aisin hubs. Everyone siad that there is just no comparison in build quality and strength.

As for finding them, well junkyards and craigslist might be a possibility. If you cannot find them let me know and I can find the name of the place I got mine here in Oregon. I bought a few used ones from an auto salvage place (just in case the ********** came back). All were in very good condition, dirty, but in perfect working order. Each one cost $45, but since i bought four they knocked the price down to $40/ea. Yes, they do ship, and quick.

Oh, and congrats on the great looking truck, it's quite the unicorn you got there.

Cool :coffeedrink: The 22RE 2nd gens aren't too common these days. I can't wait to see what you do with it--one thing is for sure you won't be short on aftermarket support.

I don't have experience with those hubs, but I do with just about every other aftermarket Toyota hub out there. All others I have seen do not use the conical washers and are poorly designed compared to the factory piece. Stock Aisin/Asco manual hubs are some of the strongest hubs out there they get my vote hands down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles