The new family wagon! 2011 4Runner TE

huntsonora

Explorer
First of all, I owe a huge THANK YOU to all of the forum members here that have been so insightful on various threads and PM's! Thank you very much and I apologize if any of my questions were ignorant, I sometimes over analyze things

Anyway, my wife and I are expecting our first child on or around April 5th and besides her company car all we have is my regular cab Dodge truck. I cannot turn the airbags off in it and therefore its not that practical to have with a newborn. We looked at FJ Cruisers, 2005-2006 Tundras, Tahoes, Sequoias and 4Runners! We originally planned to buy the first fairly low mile 1st Gen DC Tundra we found be they are damn tough to find!

Long story short, I got a call on Friday that the dealership where I had been looking had just taken in a lightly used 2011 4Runner Trail Edition and the salesman I had been working with wanted to know if we wanted to take a look at it. I said sure, loaded up my less than enthusiastic very pregnant wife and we headed to the dealership. We saw it and they had not detailed it or done anything to it but it was clean! It had 23,000 on the odometer and my wife loved it! Due to a prior obligation we made an appointment to drive it the next day, which was yesterday. We asked if we could take it on an extended test drive as we were really interested and wanted to get a good feel for the 4Runner. They said no problem and off we went. I took it down some fairly rough dirt county roads, we went through town and we spent some time on the highway and we were hooked! When we got back to the dealership the onboard calculator said that we averaged 23.1 MPG. SCORE!

We sat down and started negotiating, which I HATE doing, and I basically had a cap in mind. Knowing that a comprable TE would go for over $39K new and TT&L would bring it to almost $43k I wanted to feel fairly comfortable that the depreciation was factored in. I ended up buying the 4Runner for a shade over $34Kout the door and that included the certified warranty that covers powertrain to 100K miles and the upgraded warranty that covers EVERYTHING for 100K miles. I dont normally do extended warrantys but it was cheap enough that it just made sense. The technology is pretty complex in these TE 4Runners and if it needs 1 repair before 100K miles it was worth it.

Anyway, here are the pics of our new family wagon, we havent named it yet but am thinking os something that would remind me of this...

untitledgris.png

untitledcwg2.png

The only 2 pictures I got yesterday were on my iphone camera but you guys have all seen these 4Runners before...

photo4r1.jpg

photo4r2.jpg

Honestly, I would have preferred a silver TE BUT the price was right and my wife loved the grey. Here is a picture of the trailer I'll use when out camping, hunting, fishing etc. I bought this from another member here on Expo and this thing it AWESOME!

phototr1.jpg

phototr2.jpg

phototr3.jpg

I am also keeping my beloved 94 Dodge 4x4 with the 12 valve so all in all it was a GREAT weekend!

Thanks again for all of the positive feedback and advice that all the members here have been able to provide! I really appreciate it!

Drummond

Danimal

Adventurer
First: an early congrats on the baby!

Great choice on the 4Runner - I think you'll be happy with it for a long time. Plus, it's got this button:

image_cd_gallery.jpg

I think everything in this world should have a Party Mode button; my truck, my house, my desk at work, my wife, etc.

I am also in love with your trailer and 12 Valve Dodge. Do want...

Dan

montypower

Adventure Time!
I really like the changes on these. I rented one and drove it fairly extensively. They are very quiet and cruise well on the road. So what are the plans for it?

4RunAmok

Explorer
That scene from Vacation was filmed at Jack Ellis Dodge (now called something else, I think) on Brand Blvd in Glendale, CA (where I grew up) and every time I drive by there, I always think of that scene!

Nice 4runner for sure!

upcountry

Explorer
That trailer is a BEAST. It's gonna look great behind that 4Runner!

What are the plans for upgrades (if any)?

More pics please.

huntsonora

Explorer
I wouldn't let the dealer even look at my dodge. I love that truck and will keep it a very long time! The sales manager asked if I wanted to trade "that old thing" and I said no. Later on he said "so how do you like that 12 valve?". He knew what it was and if I had traded it he'd probably have it in his driveway right now.

I'll get some more pictures today. I love the 4Runner, it's quiet, smooth and comfortable. It's nothing like my truck

I'm not sure what the plan is yet, I know I'll need sliders and some skid plates. I guide hunts for a living and will find times when having more interior space for multiple hunters is necessary so I'll use this instead of my dodge. I don't want to sacrifice much mileage as it is our family vehicle first bit a small lift and some Revo's shouldn't effect it too bad. I've had Revo's in the past and they didn't look great but the ride and performance were outstanding

I am really open to suggestions at this point. I want whatever I do to it to blend in with our family lives. We do spend a fair amount of time in the mountains in the summer months but won't ever do any "rock crawling".

The ICON lifts are amazing but at $1600 the stage 1 lift is all I would be willing to spend. Are there better options? Should I just bite the bullet and get a more expensive ICON lift?

Drum

Richie Rich

Nice 4runner!

I gotta ask, what does the "party mode" button do? I assume something to do with the stereo system.

Now have a mission, I must get one of these buttons and find a use for it in my truck.

zidaro

Explorer
Nice Runner.
for 5th gen suspension-
i am a fan of the ICON systems. Their Valving is spot on and they use top shelf components inside and out.
If your getting alot of offroad use out of it i believe the upgrade to 2.5" coilovers is worth it, with or without the Remote resi.
Rears to match. The Upper/Lower rear control arms are luxury and extreme duty items- not mandatory, your choice.

UCA's are mandatory to maintain proper alignment if you are going to lift +2". Some do choose to run with oem for awhile though. The Billet UCA from ICON is bling and overbuilt to the tilt and has a COVER over the uniball- something no other mfg. offers. They also now offer a tubular arm that is much less expensive. Really- Lightspeed, Chaos, Camburg all also make a nice UCA setup.

www.wheelersoffroad.com has nice pricing and options. www.sdhqoffroad.com and www.polyperformance.com are also good and regularly offer 10% off esp. if you call in.

This is, in my opinion, the other suspension option if i was not going to go with ICON- http://stores.overlandwarehouse.com/-strse-54/Full-2.5"-suspension-kit/Detail.bok Radflo based with Eibach springs and their custom valving. People seem happy with them.

www.Budbuilt.com makes beautiful skids and sliders when your ready. Sliders are huge protection on the trail and in the parking lot.

www.shrockworks.com makes a first class front bumper that will offer real protection and a way to conceal your winch

your runner is sweet and fully capable right off the showroom. try it out, see what works and doesnt, then blow huge amounts of money on it :) Weve been playing with our '10 Limited for 2 years now and are just starting to toy with it, LOVE it. Not to mention, aftermarket support is getting better every year.

Last edited:

zidaro

Explorer
party button is a bass boost for rear sub.

Nice 4runner!

I gotta ask, what does the "party mode" button do? I assume something to do with the stereo system.

Now have a mission, I must get one of these buttons and find a use for it in my truck.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...

UCA's are mandatory to maintain proper alignment if you are going to lift +2". Some do choose to run with oem for awhile though.

Correct! Like Zidaro, in my mind UCAs are critical and not optional. Though some say they are not needed, I have plenty of alignment data that suggests otherwise.

www.Budbuilt.com makes beautiful skids and sliders when your ready. Sliders are huge protection on the trail and in the parking lot.

I love BudBuilt's stuff, and Bud is a super guy!

Welcome to the 4Runner club. :)

huntsonora

Explorer
Thanks guys! I think that the first things I need to do is order the front skid plate and sliders from BudBuilt! I like the fact that the skidplate from Bud has the removeable pice for the oil changes, thats handy! The sliders are a no brainer for me, I will need those when I'm hunting and it will be nice to have a place to put a jack

I have a question, if I go with the Icon suspension, which I am leaning towards doing, what tire size would yall recommend? I dont want to suck the power and mileage out of the 4Runner as we are getting an average of 20mpg right now and this is one of the reasons we bought it. I am thinking that a good AT tire will suffice for what I do, maybe the Revo II's or the Cooper AT3's. I have the AT3' on my Dodge and they are fantastic.

I guess the main thing for my wife and I is to have a well thought out 4Runner that is practical for our everyday lives as well as for exploring our home state of Colorado

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier