stock suspension questions

hey guys.
i am buying a 2012 tacoma double cab. i want the TRD offroad package. but i have heard a few things with the trd suspension kind of blowing cunks. here is my question this truck will be my weekend wheeler/ my work truck. i will be putting a couple hundred pounds in the bed from time to time. and i will also like to tow a car trailer here and there. now will the TRD suspension be fine with this? or should i consider buying a more basic model. i want the elocker though.
thanks!:ylsmoke:

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
There is a technical service bulletin that replaces the leaf springs. The reason for replacement is due to harsh ride with a load in the bed, or when pulling a trailer. We've put on a few. It's covered for 3 years 36k miles at no cost to you. Everyone I've done it for had been pleased.

dorton

#rockcreekoverland
The bulletin is TSB 0359-10 in case you would like to research it, or reference it.

upcountry

Explorer
TSB bulletin is not available on newer models. Good thread on it on Tacoma World.

IMHO dont waste money on TRD model. You can spend the money you would have wasred on a TRD model and get a decent suspension like Billstein 5100s or Old Man Emu.

You can get all sorts of aftermarket lockers or just order a truck from dealer with just the locker and standard suspension.

I am a firm beleiver the TRD is not really much of an upgrade.....I know first hand I bought one.

Last edited:
ok thanks guys, only reason why i was looking at the trd off road is because it comes with the elocker. is it common to get a non-trd with an elocker? or is that a special order thing?

upcountry

Explorer
ok thanks guys, only reason why i was looking at the trd off road is because it comes with the elocker. is it common to get a non-trd with an elocker? or is that a special order thing?

Not sure on that. I would check with a dealer. You might also email TRD PARTS 4U and asks them if they have ever seen a non-TRD model Tacoma with an elocker. Just not sure on this one.

well i have seen a non trd truck with an elocker my only concern is i am selling my current truck and i wont have a vehicle while i am waiting to buy the truck i dont wanna have to special order a truck with an elocker i was wondering if it was common to have a truck like that.

Danimal

Adventurer
It is not listed as an "option" on the Tacomas, but rather part of a "package". That package is the TRD Off Road package. I've never heard of the locker coming from the factory on a base or SR5 truck.

Of course, the real value of the off road package depends on your intended use. If you won't be venturing off road much, the regular 4WD Tacoma seems very capable. I personally have owned another Toyota with the locker and found it invaluable so I bought the off road package. As it turns out, I was much more impressed with the A-TRAC feature than anything else on the package. The various traction aides (not just the locker) that come with the package are excellent, and I wouldn't buy a Tacoma without it. That's my opinion.

I drove the truck off the lot with a 2,000 lb trailer and roughly 500 lbs of stuff in the bed. I had about 2" to the bump stops and never hit them on my 8 hour drive with that set up. Funny enough, I've been hitting the bump stops lately with a truck full of adults and an empty bed... I'm thinking the springs have broken in causing this. The TSB is looking pretty good to me right now. My truck is a 2011 and the TSB is available if I feel it's needed. Otherwise the suspension is great - I'm very impressed with the ride on-road. The off road flex leaves something to be desired, but that's typical of a stock truck.

I also want to point out that the TSB springs help a bit with capacity, but I've heard that they don't change things drastically. I'm thinking if you're planning on towing a car hauler from time to time, you may want to consider something like air bags.

Dan

Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
This is good advice (Below from previous post by Danimal)

I have a 2007 DC. I kept it stock for a year and got really pissed when it would bottom out on bump stops with small loads of plywood or other gear. I went to dealership and showed them once on a trip back from home depot. They scheduled me for the spring swap. A

After about another 6 months the TSB sprjngs started sagging so I did a Toytec AAL. Only after I did the AAL was the load capacitt solved and the truck comparable to my 1998 Tacoma(stock).

After a while with the TSB and AAL I made the swap to AllPro expo weight springs and now I am really liking how the truck rides.

Having had 4 different setups on the truck now, my suggestion is don't even F-around with the TSB springs, just go with an aftermarket spring pack like ARB Dakars, AllPro, or Deaver. Only then, IMHO, will you have a gold ride with load capacity.

It is not listed as an "option" on the Tacomas, but rather part of a "package". That package is the TRD Off Road package. I've never heard of the locker coming from the factory on a base or SR5 truck.

Of course, the real value of the off road package depends on your intended use. If you won't be venturing off road much, the regular 4WD Tacoma seems very capable. I personally have owned another Toyota with the locker and found it invaluable so I bought the off road package. As it turns out, I was much more impressed with the A-TRAC feature than anything else on the package. The various traction aides (not just the locker) that come with the package are excellent, and I wouldn't buy a Tacoma without it. That's my opinion.

I drove the truck off the lot with a 2,000 lb trailer and roughly 500 lbs of stuff in the bed. I had about 2" to the bump stops and never hit them on my 8 hour drive with that set up. Funny enough, I've been hitting the bump stops lately with a truck full of adults and an empty bed... I'm thinking the springs have broken in causing this. The TSB is looking pretty good to me right now. My truck is a 2011 and the TSB is available if I feel it's needed. Otherwise the suspension is great - I'm very impressed with the ride on-road. The off road flex leaves something to be desired, but that's typical of a stock truck.

I also want to point out that the TSB springs help a bit with capacity, but I've heard that they don't change things drastically. I'm thinking if you're planning on towing a car hauler from time to time, you may want to consider something like air bags.

Dan

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
E-locker, A-TRAC, suspension, hill descent control/clutch shut off, and skid plates all make the off-road package a hell of a great deal. Off the lot the truck is extremely capable and my truck regularly impresses Jeep and Land Rover owners with its capability.

I, too, had the TSB done for my 2010 and it helped. I may upgrade the springs in the future, but that is a small cost compared to the other amenities and you cannot get A-TRAC installed after the fact on a non Off Road truck.

Note that the non TRD suspension isn't any more capable at hauling or towing than the TRD suspension. Same springs, different shocks. You will probably be fine with the light loads you are describing. Not sure about towing a car, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles