Dura Trac vs KM2

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
so, i live in snow country and the dura trac is awesome in snow and ice, the KM2 sucks unless siped

the KM2 has a tougher sidewall

the KM2 is available in a 33/10.50, the dura trac isn't (33/12.50 only)

the dura tracs tighter center tread should yield a quieter ride and less rolling resistance

the KM2 is available in a narrower size, which is good for decreased rolling resistance, but is a much more aggressive pattern

lets hear some opinions

theicecreampeople

Adventurer
i have dura tracks and am very happy ,but i live in texas where you cant get tires siped ,i also had km2s siped when i lived in bend Oregon ,the ktms were hands down better they rocked in snow and ice "with the siping"with out they stink ....hope this helps ..im sure you are going to get lots of feedback ..j

97discosd

Adventurer
I briefly had 265/75/16 duratracs and they impressed me alot. Great tire for the $ and very durable side wall.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
I have 285/75R15 DuraTracs and very pleased with them for on-road behavior (Wet and dry).
Off road (only dirt and mud trails-so far) and work great.
I will be do some wheeling later this month (rocks, etc).

I originally wanted the MT Kevlars by Goodyear... too many bad reviews with the new KM2s.
But the Kevlars were on a serious back order of 2-3 months.... so the order went to the DTs

Here are a cople pics of them mounted on my LC wheels.
IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

GYDuraTrac-Sideview.jpg

GYDuraTrack-rearview.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
I originally wanted the MT Kevlars by Goodyear...

i had 35/1250-15 Kevlar MTR's on my TJ and they are awesome! but i think the duratracs might be a little better all around tire for an expo rig

what does everyone think as far as 10.50 vs 12.50 mpg (the 12.50's being dura tracs, 10.50's being KM2's)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I had MT/Rs on the XV-JP. By the time they had 5,000 miles on them, they were noisy and squirmy on pavement. I put DuraTracs on it and got vastly better highway behavior, making high speed travel more secure and considerably improving wet weather driving. And they're good in snow. I don't have enough off-road experience with them to give a detailed opinion, but the reviews I've read suggest that they're OK or better in most situations. As best I know, they're at the very top off-road performers of the tires that don't require any significant on-pavement compromise.

P1000589.jpg

t4rman

Adventurer
I'm interested in this discussion. My BFG A/Ts are about done. I have almost 40,000 miles on them, they still drive great and have plenty of tread on them. I'm looking for a little more beef on my next set of tires. I do have a question for those who have had duratracs.

How is the lifespan on the Duratracks when compared to the MTR?

zidaro

Explorer
I am burning thru my Duratracs much faster than i would like, other than that minor catastrophe, they are the perfect tire. Exceptional on icy/snowy roads, great on mild trails, pleasant road manners. On a tundra Crewmax.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
tread life

vehicle weight has alot to due with tire wear, i had MTR's on my TJ and had about 25k on them and they were still 60-70percent, granted i had five and rotated them faithfully, i think im gonna run the duratracs and i would think they would wear every bit as well if not better than the kevlar MTR's.
i dont like to run bald tires, but i think you could get 40k on the duratracs and have them still be useful offroad??

zidaro

Explorer
I also ran them under a '96 taco and had great wear. C load range under the taco, E range under the Tundra.

Applejack

Explorer
I ran the KM2's on my '05 Taco and currently am running Duratrac's for the winter wet months and MTRK's for the dry months. The Duratracs are my favorite all around tire I've ever owned. They are wearing a bit faster than I's hoped, which is the reason for putting MTR's in the rotation, I hope to get 40k out of them but they may be really worn by then.

The KM2's are a better mud tire (surprise surprise) and have really great road manners for an aggressive tire. I like their wet performance well enough but to be used and packed snow and ice they really need to be siped. However said siping will cause some chunking when used on rocky trails.

The Duratracs are not at all a poor performer in the mud but not far behind my MTRK's abilities, but neither are as good as the KM2's. The Duratrac's are quieter than I thought they would be, have excellent wet pavement manners, and are masters in snow and ice. YES, you can still get stuck in the snow with them though:sombrero:. But they are still the best all around tire I've tried out and see no reason to get anything else in my future, and I have been a willing guinea pig for many many kinds of tires.
I highly highly recommend them!:ylsmoke:

Runt

Adventurer
Have both....Duratracks are studded on the Cruiser for winter (they are a crapy summer tire due to accelerated wear) as they are a awesome winter tire. Summer I run KM2 on the the Taco & Cruiser. Another option for you that I run on my Tacoma in the winter is the Kelly TSR. A aggressive all season with very good wear characteristics.....been happy with them. If I was to buy only one tire I would go with the Dura Trac though.....just be prepared to go through them quick.

owhiting

Supporting Sponsor
Why do you say that the BFG's have a tougher side wall? The 3 ply side wall on the BFG's are very thin and I have sliced through one on the trail. The Dura Tracs on my truck say 3 ply side wall as well. BFG KM 2's are worthless on snowy roads but the Duratracs have been great. They wear very quickly on a heavy vehicle.

Toughest tires for off road use are the super swampers. I have run the trxus and the ssr. Great tire on and off road until they wear which is pretty quickly, they will still perform well off road but the noise level at highway speed will make you deaf.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I'm on my 3rd set of KM2s. I've noticed very little difference on road between the BFG ATs and KM2s. The KM2s are excellent in the rocks, mud and respectable in snow. ATs are average in rocks and mud. I've seen the Dura Tracs do just fine off road. My preference is BFG KM2s.

As far as MPG... Tire weight has as much if not more affect on mileage as the tread pattern. I recently went from 265/75/16s KM2s to 33x10.5x15 KM2s. The larger 33s weighed 4lbs less per tire and the wheels were another 1 lb less. So you're talking 20lbs total. My gas mileage went up about 2 mpg! The best mileage with my current modifications (rack, lift, etc) was 17.5 mpg. On a trip last weekend I got 19.5mpg twice (2 full tanks). Tread width and weight are things I'd take into serious consideration when choosing a tire if MPG is important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles