02 Tundra "PIT O' GOLD"

Butcher54

Adventurer
Well guys I can finally start my own build thread. My build starts with a virgin 02 Tundra 4x4. After selling my 01 2wd Tundra I spent weeks weighing out the pros and cons between a 00-06 Tundra and a 00-04 Tacoma DC. And while the Tacomas look amazing and have tons of aftermarket support I just couldnt go down to a smaller truck. The Tundra is a perfect size for me. Its a nice mid-sized truck,comfy,V8 platform. After weeks of looking I found a Gold (hint the build name), one owner 02 Tundra 4x4. It was garage kept and with only 55,000mile on it, it look like it just came off the show room, and with a large folder of all maintenance I just couldnt pass it up.

This truck is going to be a daily driver, so while I still had a spare car I decided to go ahead and install a ARB air locker/ compressor unit. I ran all my switch wires up through the passenger A Pillar and mounted the switches up top where the garage door opener/sun glass holder panel is.
Now that the rearend was delt with. I moved up to the front. I didnt want to just do the typical Bilstein lift so I bit the bullet and ordered a set of ICON extended travel coil-overs. I was going to order the Camburg UCAs but theres a backorder on them. After a few days of searching tires and reading reviews I decided on 285/75R16 Cooper St Maxx and a set of Pro Comp 7069 matte black with the needed 4inch BS. Its going to require some cutting on the pinch weld on the rear part of the fender but that wont be an issue.
1st Gen Tundras do have a bad departure angle with all that bed hangin off the back. So the bedsides will be cut at an angle and Ill make a rear bumper with side protection. I will still keep the hitch and I plan on doing a tiregate. I will follow the front up with either a ARB unit, handmade or tubular. If i do go with a ARB unit it wouldnt be the one they offer for the Tundras, I dont really dig it.
More to come
Ill post pics this week.

Derek24

Explorer
All sounds good! Nice to see you went with the Coopers. So far I love them, not as mean looking as my Firestones, but they grip like glue in the rain. Can't wait to see some pics!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Pics please. On your bumper, you could always modify the ARB meant for a 100 series Land Cruiser. A fellow expo'er has modified one to fit a Tahoe, so it should be doable. Then you'd have a bull bar on a Tundra which would be unique and very cool.

Derek24

Explorer
Pics please. On your bumper, you could always modify the ARB meant for a 100 series Land Cruiser. A fellow expo'er has modified one to fit a Tahoe, so it should be doable. Then you'd have a bull bar on a Tundra which would be unique and very cool.

I have always wanted to do this. The 100 is around the same size, so it should work. The ARB for the Tundra looks ok, kind of big for my taste...

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
I saw a first gen Sequoia with a Sahara Bar and it was beautiful. I like the idea of full coverage and being one of the few Tundras with a bull bar.

Butcher54

Adventurer
Here is the only pic of the truck stock. I drove it 2 days and than started installing the ARB Locker
2012-02-13 12.19.24.jpg2012-02-13 12.19.03.jpg

The locker has come! The wires from the compressor harness that connect to the switch harness comes with the bulk head apart so I was able to run the wires through a factory grommet and than connect the bulk head and run it up the A pillar behind the molding and above the headliner.
2012-02-23 22.18.14.jpg2012-02-19 11.12.13.jpg2012-03-13 08.17.32.jpg

Icons, Got them installed in no time! removed my sway bar.
2012-03-10 13.31.49.jpg2012-03-10 16.44.13.jpg2012-03-10 16.53.47.jpg2012-03-13 18.16.27.jpg

COOPER S/T MAXX 285/75R16
2012-03-13 18.16.07.jpg

Ryan1975

Observer
Got my eye on a super clean 39k mi 06 Tundra. I've been going back and forth on my next truck and really liked the new TE 4Runner but @ $21k - this Tundra is an amazing buy. I'll be watching your thread and other Tundra builds for ideas.

Butcher54

Adventurer
Ya the 06 tundras go for more than the early 1st Gen tundras. Just a few years newer and a few different features. I would of liked a 06 but debt want to fork out that much. The 00-02s were going for around 8-10k. But all I could find were beatup, high miles,dents,no records and trashed interiors so I jumped on this truck for 12.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Cooper ST Maxxs seem to be the un-official official tires for Expedition Portal Tundras. :sombrero:

You'll love 'em.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this Tundybird.

Butcher54

Adventurer
Hahaha just bought them cause that's what the cool kids were doing. Hahaha

They are the ones with the extended travel. Got them from TRDparts4U.
Getting the wheels on Tuesday. Ill have them mounted and on by Wednesday. Than aligned Thursday than trip on Friday morning. I'm pushing it time wise. There's nothing fun about a stock looking truck on a 3day excursion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles