Still have your sway bar installed?

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I am going to be putting on a OME kit on my 08 Tacoma this week:)sombrero:) and was wondering how many have just removed the sway bar altogether? I know it needs to be undone and in some cases removed to get the strut/coil assembly in/out, Iv see a few builds with out them just looking for your imprecision on the ride with out. For reference my setup will be 886coils with Nitro sport struts, and ARB bull bar with a winch. Thanks for any input!

zidaro

Explorer
swaybar is removed on my Tundra. Impression- no regrets. Lets the Coilovers cycle like they are built to. No ill characteristics.
I am sure each individual setup may yield different results so try it out without and if its too loose for ya, bolt it back up.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Different platform but I liked having it completely removed on the '85 4runner....until I put the truck camper on the back of it. After that, I went out searching for a replacement and am much happier with it on.

You could disconnect it and see how it feels.

zolo

Explorer
removed mine and never looked back.
2006 Tacoma ARB Bumper and winch up front no issues.

fourfa

Observer
Gone, much prefer it without (with my current suspension setup, Dakar HDs and Fox adjustable in back, Icon COs in front). Without a very well controlled suspension I'd leave it on.

Derek24

Explorer
After the Icons I removed mine and only notice it gone when I come to hot into a corner. With the camper shell now I notice more lean, but still nothing scary. I'll never install it back on!

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
before you jank it off completely, put everything together without the links connected. Chances are that you'll like it, unless you do a lot of hauling things up high (like a half dozen kayaks or a camper) or you drive it like you stole it. Off-road, there's no comparison.

Degrey

On my old 95' 4Runner I removed the front. Ended up being way too much body roll for every day driving, but that was also a torsion bar set up. I've recently taken off the damaged end links from my 2000 4Runner, roll is much less noticeable in this vehicle. I'm still probably going to end up replacing them with the quick disconnect end links I have.

idrivejeep

Saw this posted on another forum, but it proves a point. This is why you shouldn't drive your vehicle without a front sway bar. You might be a careful driver, but it's the other idiot you have to watchout for. "Because it drives fine without it" is just waiting for disaster when you need to get out of the way and your top heavy rig begins to roll.

What would of happened to the white SUV in the oncoming lane if he didn't have an anti-sway bar?

[video=youtube;8ExNMQL-hOE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ExNMQL-hOE]YouTube - Pepsi Truck Crash on Dallas Tollway[/video]

opie

Explorer
2001 4ruuner with OME 881/890 and the heavy shocks in the rear.

Front still on. Rear is off but only by accident. The bolts holding the bar to the axle broke when I was removing it. Figured Id leave it off. With the shock/spring combination in the rear, its tighter than stock with the bar, so Im going to leave it out. Front will stay in, however.

korslite

I removed mine when I installed Fox coilovers on my '08 Tacoma a yr ago and there is most definitely a big differenece in handling. I think as long as you drive it like its a truck it is plenty safe. Having ridden in a buddies identical model truck with same front suspension and swaybar installed I notice it is night and day on the body roll. Off road though, like many have said, no doubt better. Only other downside I have noticed is that it allowed enough up travel for my 285's to contact the fender flares and break a couple tabs as well as mar the tread on the tire. This only happens if i'm movin' out pretty good though which is rare. I agree that it might be a bit dicey in a high speed evasive manuever on the highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94