Why does "size matter" in N.America???

DuvaFX4

I agree. Not to mention, if most of the people in the ROW had the chance to own something like a full-size domestic pickup, they probably would. Capacity is still capacity and you can't change the physics, be it load capacity or room to haul the family. Don't remember seeing too many 70 series trucks that will haul a family of 4-5.

Just because your father tows a trailer with a small tractor in it with a XJ, doesn't make it right or that safe (unless it's a lawn tractor).

Buy and drive what YOU want and stop worrying about what everyone else does, you'll be much happier.

Jack

You definitely beat me to it Jack! Thats why they make bigger trucks to be able to handle towing heavy loads, not for what they are towing to be handling them! I agree there are a lot of people that do not use there trucks as intended but that is there choice. It is America we are free to do what we want and drive what we want, there are a lot vehicles I do not agree with either but,"it is what it is".

GR8ADV

Explorer
I agree. Not to mention, if most of the people in the ROW had the chance to own something like a full-size domestic pickup, they probably would.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. The answer is because they can.

Anyone who owns a watch that costs more than $15 is in the same category. The $15 one keeps as good or better time. Houses are the same way, you don't 'need' much more than a few hundred square feet to live in, but odd, for some reason people have homes a bit bigger than this. Cars really don't need to go any faster than say 80 mph on american highways (speed limit plus a little for safety) but last time I checked some of them do too. My expectation is that the OP likely has a few things in his life that are bigger/faster/shinier than they 'need' to be as well; but he will have his own reasons for doing so. No different than the bigger truck guy I expect.

As much as we all think we are all so different, we are all so much the same. As I think about the Middle Eastern Oil wealthy Princes etc and what they do with their money, I can not help but think that this idea of doing something because we have the financial ability (credit or cash) to do so is not unique to any one person, culture or society.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I agree that some people have unsafe huge lifted trucks and drive like jerks. But one of the prices of freedom and liberty is that we also have the freedom to do stupid things, and sometimes it's not safer that way. But I believe that freedom and liberty outweigh the temperary fuzzy good safe feeling of limiting such goofy truck antics. Allthough we allready have strict truck laws, they are only enforced if you look like a yahoo or drive like one.

Your "buddy" who allmost hit you will run into the law eventually. Our goverment has run towns broke and the PD's are looking for revenue. They'd love to write a ticket for every law that truck's breaking. Also private owners can get away with alot more than a truck obviously used for work. Work trucks are held to a higher standard. The rate semi-trucks are being pulled over for checks and searches is starting to border on "unconstitutional". I'm really starting to get the feeling of [WWII German Accent on] "Zee papers pleaze. Zee papers pleeze sir."

I disagree: that contractors need smaller trucks. My truck needs to haul 2000lbs of tools and cargo, and a 10,000lb trailer offroad to muddy construction sites, gas lines, cell towers, hospitals, etc. etc. I envy contractors that use little Tacomas, they must not work very hard.

But I'm no yahoo with a huge lift. 4" tops. 315/70 r17 at most. Most fullsize trucks do best with slight upgrades, but going too far often hurts them more than it helps.

I disagree that a Tacoma could make for a decent work truck. To me a Tacoma is a 4wd car. It minus well be a Subaru Outback or Forester. A Tacoma couldn't even carry my tool box, let alone actually haul my cargo. My trailer would snap it's poor rusty frame in half. Also I can't get into a Taco without kneeing the steering wheel hard. Would it kill them to offer a tilt wheel I could tilt out of the way when I park??? Nothing's more fun than walking around the giant Cleveland Auto show with a sore knee from the Toyota displays.

A Tundra or F150 are both rated to tow 10,000lbs. But neither can pull my trailers to my jobsites in a safe manner. Nothing smaller than a GMC 3500 van, truck, or Ford F350 will do.

The reason that the Taco and other small trucks are growing is that there are small truck owners out there that need to upgrade to 1/2 ton F150 or Tundra, but are too stubborn to realize that. Instead those owners asked for larger little trucks. That is what they got. To me, a 1/2 ton truck feels tiny. Also there is a huge market for terrible cars in America. If youo make a complete POS car like the Chevy Volt, Toy Pruis, Geo Tracker, etc. It will sell. But a vehicle that is actually good at anything?..............

OP: Your rant gets a 6/10. Entertaining for sure, but lumps too many good people into a bad catagory. And not enough pics.

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
A few weeks ago the NY Times had a survey of 1 tonnish pickups in which the writer noted that Ford and Chevy diesels had more power and torque that the base motor of a Peterbilt chassis intended for a dump body. Go figure.

When I lived in StL, an employee at the local Home Depot that I traded, had an F350, super cab, short bed that had neither a receiver on the back, a fifth wheel receiver in the bed or tie downs for a camper. Don't know what that truck was used for except transportation.

But to provide an answer to the question posed, American's buy them because they are available and they have made the connection that bigger is better. Whether that is supported by the facts or actual needs is irrelevant.

Well, I see lots of 20-30yr old trucks still on the road. A well maintained F350 will last a really long time. Sometimes a big truck may be cheaper in the long run. Stronger parts designed for towing.

And people can crash into you, without you dieing. That's allways a plus.

Also keep in mind that todays trucks are intended to be customized a bit. Ford makes stinkbug stance F350's with tiny little tires because they have to. Ford would rather sell nicer more level trucks with larger tires. But they have to compromise to get fuel economy and roll over safety. You can order a work truck with plowkit springs and some of that allready done, but don't expect that to be the norm.

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
buy what you want and can afford. don't be jealous. WE LIVE IN THE USA, we can still do what we want mostly. Until the liberals try to turn this into a european copy cat. if you don't like it, go back to Australia.

I own a British and a German vehicle. But still like the good old USA:elkgrin:

brained

Adventurer
Lot's of good reasons posted above.
I'd add "It's a style"

It cracks me up when I'm looking for a set of skinnies to shoe my IH with and I see mud tire ads that include the words - "Aggressive Styling". You know half those tires will never see so much as a gravel road.

bftank

Explorer
Somebody's a little defensive this morning. Why can't Jack and bftank accept that the OP is interested in why people do things? Wondering why people make different choices is not the same as condemning those choices.

To the original question, marketing is a big part of it. In non-urban areas there is little downside to a big vehicle 9other than cost), so people are less resistant to the "appeal" of a bigger car or truck. Then consider what's available. Compare the original Honda Odyssey to the current model. "Bigger" gives manufacturers and salesmen a selling point (useful or otherwise). Look at motorcycles - they've gone through the same "bigger, stronger, more expensive" evolution.

OTOH, sometimes you do need a big vehicle only once in a while, but do not want to own a fleet of task specific vehicles. I don't drive the LX470 every day, but when I need it, I need it.

when i don't agree with something, and i want to understand the other parties reasoning, i try not to make gross generalizations, stereotype, or indicate lack of intelligence on behalf of the person i don't agree with. because the OP did these things it seemed like he was condemning these choices. it didn't seem like the OP was actually interested in why big fat america does what it does. i interpreted his wording to indicate that he wanted to get something of his chest. if that was not the case i apologise for somehow misinterpreting what was said, and for being a hypocrite about making gross generalizations, and for apparently being unreasonably defensive.

if op really wants to know, this is why i drive a big crew cab f350 diesel 4door longbox, because it is a very useful truck, hauls a lot of stuff in an 8 ft bed when i work on my house, or yard, will pull my 20' trailer when i am using it for it's various purposes throughout the year, seats 6 people when going to cut wood or camping. it is only my wife and child right now in our family so yes the seating in it or the burb or the explorer is excessive, but i don't plan on selling them anytime soon and our family might grow in the future so i like to plan ahead. my f350 gets the same mpg as my explorer does, however it has mare capability than the explorer does when it comes to work.

i didn't buy a midsize crew cab because it won't do the work i require of it as well, in regards to hauling wood, a 3k lbs empty trailer, going over passes loaded, etc.

i did buy the explorer because of it size and abilities to go places the cc wouldn't fit.

i traded a steering column for a motorcycle in hopes of getting that in running reliable shape to commute to work. haven't done that yet because of my other project priorities.

i am 31 have no debt, except for my two houses, and i am trying to get rid of one of those this year. (anyone want to buy a house in norfolk, va? haha)

i agree there are alot of people that could do a better job of managing their lives, but i don't think that is just an American problem. we are not the only country with management issues as the news states everyday.

as far as new vehicles go, i don't have issue with their sizes. well i take that back, i wish dodge made an actual crew cab longbed truck. i wish the power wagon was offered with a diesel. i wish the diesel trucks had stuck with mechanical injection. i wish you could still get a stick shift in all of the big three. i wish toyota had actually made a one ton diesel to compete with the big three. i wish all one tons had solid axles with manual hubs and tcase shifters, and were missing the unit bearing hubs. i wish the build quality was better. i wish they cost less. i wish they one stick with one diesel motor make as beefy, efficient, simple, affordable, and make 300hp. i wish prius owners would realise they are not saving the planet or money. i wish the epa would pull it's head out of it's bum. i wish the epa would let car manufacturers build more midsize trucks and cars that are diesel. those are some of my issues with vehicles sold in America.

sleeping dog-since he was at home depot it would be a good guess that he puts stuff from home depot in the back of it. :)

Sean VHA #60013

Adventurer
I find that my 1989 W250 Dodge Cummins holds up better on our broken up 3 mile "logging road quality" driveway far better than any 1/2 ton vehicles I have had, including my full size F150 pickups. Sometimes tougher is way more economical over the long haul, as my 22yr old Dodge is evidence of :coffeedrink:

My personal pet peeve is not so much that there are "large" vehicles on the road, but rather with the need to have high capacity seating for my children. We have a family of 6 [4 children, 2 adults] and with current child seat laws, I cannot realistically fit the 6 of us in many a small to medium sized 6 passenger vehicle, but must go to a larger vehicle to accomodate the ridiculous proportions of currently legal child seating options. :ylsmoke:

scrubber3

Not really here
I have to agree with the origin of this thread. Americans consume in excess. They drive huge 4x4 suvs and trucks to soccer practice, the mall, and whatever else in town they need. Most never see off road use much less have anything towed behind it. I completely agree with said fact that 90% of vehicles never see the purpose for which they were built unless it is an average commuter car.

Yes America is the land of abundance and freedom but these things are destroying the the planet, clogging up the roads, using up more fuel than needed thus increasing the cost of fuel, and the list goes on and on. Every time I see a ford excursion drive by me empty with one little driver I can't help but think about the lousy 7mpg she is getting and how it is causing my fuel bill to skyrocket.

Don't get me wrong, I wrote a blank check to our country for and amount up to and including my life so everyone here can be free. I love my country, but everyday I get closer and closer to me regretting ever being willing to die for this place. I guess there are other parts of this place that are better than others, but I can only see what is in front of me. I can only see a bunch of disrespectful, ungrateful, overusing, self absorbed, arrogant, materialistic, *******s who only care how great they look on facebook. No one ever cares to help a person in need anymore. Money might as well be our god.

Good to know we have understanding people that are willing to help here on the Portal. :ylsmoke:

DuvaFX4

Don't get me wrong, I wrote a blank check to our country for and amount up to and including my life so everyone here can be free. I love my country, but everyday I get closer and closer to me regretting ever being willing to die for this place. I guess there are other parts of this place that are better than others, but I can only see what is in front of me. I can only see a bunch of disrespectful, ungrateful, overusing, self absorbed, arrogant, materialistic, *******s who only care how great they look on facebook. No one ever cares to help a person in need anymore. Money might as well be our god.

Good to know we have understanding people that are willing to help here on the Portal. :ylsmoke:

The only thing I'm going to comment on about using more fuel than needed, and I'm probably gonna catch a lot of heat for this on here but it is the truth. Everybody on this forum loves driving off road in there vehicles for miles on end wether it's in our on backyards or across the world and some people even drive these vehicles as DD's. With that being said how much extra fuel do we actually consume doing this then the average person who just use there vehicles to commute? We contribute to using more fuel than needed wether we like it or not. Simply all we have to do is grab a pack and start walking or riding a bike or ride a horse instead of using a vehicle, which I'm sure most of us do, I do. I am not trying to make anybody mad or start something new here, it is just my opinion.

Also Scrubber3 do not ever regret willing to sacrifice you life for you country, this is still a great country with great people in it. We just need to weed out all the bad ones. I thank you for your service and everyone else on this forum who has served and thankful for the great people on this forum. For the record I am writing this currently in Camp Dwyer Afghanistan ooh rah! Semper Fi!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Oh and gas guzzling vehicles do not increase gas prices. Greedy people increase gas prices. If we were all driving 50mpg cars the oil companies would just lower production to keep fuel prices up. That's common high school economics and I see it every day as I work in the oil industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman