Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Got the OBA installed. I started with a Sanden and was going to build my own set up, but in December Kilby was running a special on their full kits. Luckily for me, I hadn't ordered too many parts to make the OBA a reality and I was able to sell my Sanden compressor. I ordered the Kilby kit, which came with everything needed for the install.

I found some time last weekend and took two days to do the install. Just now getting around to doing the write up. Enough talk, lets show some pics of everything.

Factory belt removed and idler pulley in place. This is where the York compressor mounts. That is the space used for the factory second alternator.

The main compressor bracket.

Here is one of issues with the kit. This is the secondary/stabilization bracket that bolts to the "bottom" of the York and ties into the factory A/C compressor mount. The plate was sheared with a machine and bent in a brake. The problem is that the holes were made with what looks like a plasma cutter freehand...they missed by a lot. I had to use my die-grider and carbide bit to get the holes where they should have been. Then I had to weld up the rest of "holes."

Compressor mounted.

Jack

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Here is the oil coelescing filter. I mounted it off of the cowl to fender bracket.

I took advantage of two "studs" that were on the firewall. They are for the grounding strap from the motor and one from the hood. I made a bracket, welded everything up and got it mounted.

It came time to mount the air tank. I looked under the truck and discovered a frame bracket mounted under the bed. I assume it is for some kind of evap canister for emmissions on a gas motor. The air tank mounts above the drive shaft between the fuel tank and muffler. I couldn't get an overall picture, lying on my back under the truck. My camera wouldn't put the whole unit into focus, so it took two pics to get it.

I ran out of time for pictures of the air lines, but I drilled a hole in the rear bumper and ran the coupler through that. For the front coupler, I just left it loose under the hood. I will wait until I have the front bumper before I do a permanent mount.

I do have some minor air leaks I have to address, but overall it is good to have unlimited air again. Once you have it, you can't imagine being without it.

Jack

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I like it Jack. As you know, I have been a big fan of my Power Tank system for the last ten or so years. It's hard to argue with the portability, simplicity and the speed of which the PT works. That being said, its hard to swallow the lack of local shops that are willing to fill it for a repeatable price. It seems every local shop I have taken it to has changed their prices from one visit to the next. I've paid anywhere from $12.00 to $45.00 dollars ($45.000 is what you get when you don't ask, "How much" before you drop it off) locally.

I have also not had a shop willing to fill it while I wait in years (Probably five years). Most require one to two days to fill the tank, which equals two trips to the shop. It's also a little disheartening to see your polished tank carted off into never never land hoping it will get returned.

However, with a high output, engine driven compressor those problems are non existent. You have the benefit of unlimited "Free" air, no cold weather performance issues and the convenience of always having your compressor with you. You also don't have to make multiple trips to the welding, fire extinguisher, soda etc. shops.

People balk at the price of a complete pre-fabbed kit, but I really think it's the only way to go. The time and energy of compressor alignment, location etc. has already been invested by someone else. There is no need to duplicate that work. When picking up our new Schnauzer, we stopped off at Extreme Outback Performance and had a great visit with George and his family. He seems to be a great guy with a great product. I'm glad to see there are a few choices for the diesel market.

Was the bracket the only issue you ran into with the Kilby kit? How would you rate the over all kit? Was everything included? What was the overall install time? Are the leaks from the push fittings, or from something else? Can you post a pic of the rear coupler?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Wow, big time air. How much CFM?

Wide open the compressor is rated at 10 CFM, so it will move some serious air. Of course the faster you run it, the faster it pumps the oil out, so Kilby recommends running it at 1200 rpm or less when the compressor is activated. Needless to say, it will run pretty much any air tool you can think of. In fact, it puts out more air than my garage compressor.

I like it Jack. As you know, I have been a big fan of my Power Tank system for the last ten or so years. It's hard to argue with the portability, simplicity and the speed of which the PT works. That being said, its hard to swallow the lack of local shops that are willing to fill it for a repeatable price. It seems every local shop I have taken it to has changed their prices from one visit to the next. I've paid anywhere from $12.00 to $45.00 dollars ($45.000 is what you get when you don't ask, "How much" before you drop it off) locally.

I have also not had a shop willing to fill it while I wait in years (Probably five years). Most require one to two days to fill the tank, which equals two trips to the shop. It's also a little disheartening to see your polished tank carted off into never never land hoping it will get returned.

However, with a high output, engine driven compressor those problems are non existent. You have the benefit of unlimited "Free" air, no cold weather performance issues and the convenience of always having your compressor with you. You also don't have to make multiple trips to the welding, fire extinguisher, soda etc. shops.

People balk at the price of a complete pre-fabbed kit, but I really think it's the only way to go. The time and energy of compressor alignment, location etc. has already been invested by someone else. There is no need to duplicate that work. When picking up our new Schnauzer, we stopped off at Extreme Outback Performance and had a great visit with George and his family. He seems to be a great guy with a great product. I'm glad to see there are a few choices for the diesel market.

Was the bracket the only issue you ran into with the Kilby kit? How would you rate the over all kit? Was everything included? What was the overall install time? Are the leaks from the push fittings, or from something else? Can you post a pic of the rear coupler?

I hear you on the CO2. Even when I could get the tanks filled for free, it was a hassle and the biggest drawback is that it is a finite source, whereas the OBA is infinite as long as the engine is running, you have air.

As far as buying the kit, that is exactly why I bought the kit, my time/frustration was worth it. I spent a couple of hours on brackets for the Sanden compressor and by the end, I was mentally done. It was much easier on my LC80 when I fabbed the York bracket. More room and just easier all the way around. If there is a kit, I recommend buying it. You will be time/money ahead.

Kilby's came with everything to complete the install, every fitting, hose, bolt, etc. The only thing you have to fab is the mounting bracket for the manifold and coelescing filter. Other than that, it's complete.

I would rate the kit a 7-8 out of 10. I think there is some improvement in some items and definitely the instructions. They were barely adequate and I have done a couple of OBA's before.

I would say give yourself two solid days, that will allow you to fab any parts and route everything without rushing.

The leaks were from some used push fittings I had lying around, I wanted to try some different stuff and there was not enough hose in the kit and I needed a "T" fitting, which was not in the kit, to run to the air tank and then run two lines out for the couplers, so I used semi-truck 5mm plastic line and fittings. The used ones were not holding, so I picked up some additional hose and fittings today to re-run then plastic lines with rubber and regular fittings. Should get rid on any leaks, I just didn't have time to do it today. Going to rectify the air leaks next weekend.

Here are the pics of the coupler.

Jack

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Looks really good Jack! I see you've gone to the same corner as I for mounting stuff underhood. There's really no room for us with the dmax in there.....When's the bumper coming? I can't wait to see it!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Looks really good Jack! I see you've gone to the same corner as I for mounting stuff underhood. There's really no room for us with the dmax in there.....When's the bumper coming? I can't wait to see it!

Thanks I appreciate it. And you are right, there is very little "leftover" room under the hood.

The bumper, I am hoping will be ordered in the next month or so. They told me it would be a 6 week lead time from time of order until it will be ready. Could be done sooner, but they say 6 to be safe. I can't wait either, I am beyond ready to get the bumper/winch mounted up, that way I can get my rims/tires mounted and then I think about where to mount the underhood shower system.

I always kid Spressomon about having 10lbs of #$%^ under the 5lb hood of his LC100, but I think I am slowly getting there myself.

Jack

bob91yj

Resident **************
Bummed...My truck was the beta tester for the Kilby OBA system. Brad Kilby has been a Jeeping buddy of mine for years. He sold the company a year or so ago, apparently he sold the name with the company. I sent the link to this thread to Brad. Let's just say he wasn't thrilled with the bracket not fitting either.

The good thing about the install is it has motivated me to re-install the system on my new(er) truck. It was originally installed on my '01, need to get it put on my '06!

Have they solved the belt issue yet? I'm guessing they haven't, belt part number looks like it is an 8-groove (they have to cut two of the grooves off to make it a 6 groove). Brad couldn't find a 6 groove belt that was long enough when he put mine together.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
That is cool!!! Do like

Thanks. Me too.

Nice Jack. Thanks.

So when are we going to get started on the next round of improvements/accessories for your truck??

Bummed...My truck was the beta tester for the Kilby OBA system. Brad Kilby has been a Jeeping buddy of mine for years. He sold the company a year or so ago, apparently he sold the name with the company. I sent the link to this thread to Brad. Let's just say he wasn't thrilled with the bracket not fitting either.

The good thing about the install is it has motivated me to re-install the system on my new(er) truck. It was originally installed on my '01, need to get it put on my '06!

Have they solved the belt issue yet? I'm guessing they haven't, belt part number looks like it is an 8-groove (they have to cut two of the grooves off to make it a 6 groove). Brad couldn't find a 6 groove belt that was long enough when he put mine together.

I was a little bummed as well. I expected the fit to be better. I still have a slight belt alignment issue. The A/C compressor to Idler pulley to York alignment doesn't match perfectly. To keep the belt on the York, I had to space the idler pulley out of alignment with the A/C compressor pulley, which caused the "shoulder" on the idler pulley to slightly abrade the belt edge.

Spressomon has a Gates Belt Alignment tool (laser) that we are going to use to see just how far off it is and then decide what to do.

I can't believe you haven't mounted it on your new truck yet. I had a York on my last LC80 and this last year without an air source has made me really miss it.

Jack

bob91yj

Resident **************
I hear you, I have York OBA's on both of my Jeep's, need to get it on the truck for sure!

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
I'm surprized that they use a formed bracket for the pump......it usually means cutting holes on the flat pattern and then forming, which with thick material is hard to keep a very tight tollerance inside of a 1/16th for most shops. I'd be half inclined to machine a bracket out of some heavy angle once you figure your correct spacing for belt alignment. Belt mis-alignment is guranteed to leave you stranded at the most inoportune time, as well as just being a frustration. Put some pics up when you use the alignment tool, can't wait to see more progress!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I hear you, I have York OBA's on both of my Jeep's, need to get it on the truck for sure!

That makes sense, at least you are not doing without.

I'm surprized that they use a formed bracket for the pump......it usually means cutting holes on the flat pattern and then forming, which with thick material is hard to keep a very tight tollerance inside of a 1/16th for most shops. I'd be half inclined to machine a bracket out of some heavy angle once you figure your correct spacing for belt alignment. Belt mis-alignment is guranteed to leave you stranded at the most inoportune time, as well as just being a frustration. Put some pics up when you use the alignment tool, can't wait to see more progress!

I agree, I don't really have the answer, it's not my area of expertise, but from a layman's point of view this didn't seem to be the way to do it. Believe me, I have put almost 300 miles on the truck since install and it hasn't been worry free miles. So far, so good, but it is at the back of my mind.

Jack

tlbrewer

Observer
Jack

One of the things I don't remember you addressing is skid plates. What, if any, is your plan? I've done internet searches and basically have come up with few options for these Chevys.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater