Recommendations for a good CB shop (not just seller) in DC/MD/NoVA/Southern PA?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I've got a couple of radios that I've been less than thrilled with and I believe they are in need of being tuned to make maximum (legal) use of their capability. Anyone have recommendations for a particular shop? I'm basically starting in the greater DC area but willing to travel a little as CBs (or getting some work done on one) aren't all that popular in the local area.

Mtn Mike

Observer
I used to know several good CB radio shops in the DC metro area. Unfortunately I think all of the ones I went to closed over the years. How about the good old internet for CB service?

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Thanks for the reply. The only leads I've gotten from Ye Olde Internet was indeed old and non-responsive to emails and phone messages.

sxharr05

Adventurer
Have you looked at R&R Communications in Delaware? A few of the drivers I've dealt with over the years have used them with good results. Otherwise, either mail order outfits (Sparky's, Clay's etc) or the Golden Screwdrivers of truckstops :smilies27

SAS

Observer
The last place I recall seeing a walk-in CB sales/service place was just off the interstate in Carlisle, PA. That was two years ago (December 2009).

Ryan1975

Observer
The last place I recall seeing a walk-in CB sales/service place was just off the interstate in Carlisle, PA. That was two years ago (December 2009).

Don't remember the name...but if you google it, it's right there at the top of the list in Clarion, PA for walk in sales.

Dirtytires

Explorer
There is a cb communication company in Woodlawn. Md For the sake of my I can't recall the name.
They use to handle all of our radio comms.

sxharr05

Adventurer

One of my drivers had his 29 LTD done up there over the summer. Excellent work and service from what he reported.

sxharr05

Adventurer
Can't you just buy a cb tuner and do it yourself? I did mine It was easy.

If you're talking about tuning the SWRs/antenna, then yes. But doing a peak/tune/receive alignment etc. is much more involved. And illegal, per the FCC.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you're talking about tuning the SWRs/antenna, then yes. But doing a peak/tune/receive alignment etc. is much more involved. And illegal, per the FCC.
The rules stipulate that the user is responsible for making sure your transmitter meets spec. It's not clear NARTE certification is required (maybe presumed, but not specific) and a GROL is definitely not necessary to repair CBs as long as you are recognized as qualified to repair radios. I believe a ham who builds or repairs his own radios or a tech or engineer who can demonstrate competence and equipment would be qualified since there is no specific technical requirement in the rules. Particularly if you're repairing and tuning to remain in compliance I don't see how the FCC could argue against it. It is important that you do not modify the radio from the original design, just fix. Just my read of the rules.

FCC § 95.424 said:
(CB Rule 24) How do I have my CB station transmitter serviced?

(a) You may adjust an antenna to your CB transmitter and you may make
radio checks. (A radio check means a one way transmission for a short
time in order to test the transmitter.)

(b) You are responsible for the proper operation of the station at all
times and are expected to provide for observations, servicing and
maintenance as often as may be necessary to ensure proper operation.
You must have all internal repairs or internal adjustments to your CB
transmitter made in accordance with the Technical Regulations (see
subpart E). The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be
performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a
person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter
maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and
fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users
in those services.

(c) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, each internal
repair and each internal adjustment of a CB transmitter in which
signals are transmitted must be made using a nonradiating ("dummy")
antenna.

(d) Brief test signals (signals not longer than one minute during any
five minute period) using a radiating antenna may be transmitted in
order to:

(1) Adjust an antenna to a transmitter;

(2) Detect or measure radiation of energy other than the intended
signal; or

(3) Tune a receiver to your CB transmitter.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle