Around the world in my Icon. Looking for ideas.

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
**I type this with a disdainful and dismissive manner, opprobrium searing every keystroke in defence of your idealism and in opposition to the manner in which you have been so rudely mocked - my passionate typing inducing a rhythmic head bobbing resulting in emphatic waddle wobble whilst glaring through steel rimmed monocle at the screen**

My Dear Chap,

What? What! What the Dickens is with all the naysaying nincompoops popping up and peeing in this thread. My good man, My God Man!, hopefully someone of your refined sensibilities knows exactly how to treat the odious and bilious discontent - the malcontentment of the low classes, those chimney sweeps and other mindless, massing minions who seem to dominate this forum. That Blue fellow chief amongst them, I should say. ... 'Downstairs folk' trying to rise above their station, all of them. Shows a COMPLETE and damnable lack of civility and good manners - what would their Grand Mamas' think? Forget the plebeians, mere proletariat cattle lacking chattel, and let us discuss this like the honourable Patrician Gentlemen we so evidently are. People of a certain class recognise each other, Sir, and I recognise you.

So let me say I believe you are approaching this entirely the wrong way. Now, calm down, there's a good sport, and listen to me - I am perhaps the only person here besides you who really knows, well, anything. You have clearly shown so with your natural superiority and wit so I deign to respond to your open, honest and credulous request. Snort a dram of that 40yo Macallan, unless your nerve is up and you feel like a tipple of the good stuff to settle it, and let me speak my piece, or speak the peace as it may be... And, God knows it, you've earned the right to hear it.

You've had a hard life. Accept it and don't be ashamed. You endured that mildewy Etonian schooling in Britain where Daddy sent you for the indiscretion with that fine wait-servant pulchritude when you were 12 (bravo, bravo, rah, rah, early starter and all that!), and the drab, dreary and dull (yes, chum, positively DULL) Bostonian Experience. You should, instead of minimising your uplifting and benevolent presence, announce it as you embrace that sense of privileged cultural identity that has been instilled in you since you were a New Boy. Embrace that inculcated contempt for the societal norm which eschews the common man's abhorrence for, say, a banker's fat pin stripes or a lawyer's wispy pencil moustache. Stand and declare yourself as a Man of means (I assume, good friend, that you are a Man if you know what I mean?), and a Man of intentions.

But as we (people like you and I, them out there ... not so much) know so well, if something is worth doing, it is worth doing to excess. So you have an ICON. Whoop. Big Whoop, even. Go big, nay, go BIGGER! Do not minimise the vehicle in any way, in doing so you merely minimise yourself, and what would Daddy say were he to see you not living to your full potential the life he gave you. Let your dream live.

Some unimaginative types here say paint it pearl. Right you are to repudiate that mediocrity. I say give a wide berth to such, how did you say, gauche, advice. Uncouth? Yes. Tacky? Absolutely. Enough? Not nearly, and you were right to say it. I say go ivory. Pah, I hear you squeak. But you misunderstand. I don't say paint it ivory. I'm saying laminate that carbon fibre roof in real ivory. Nothing says class and refinement like hand crafted tuskwork.

The trimming and edge piping is where you can really make the difference. Because of your evident superior social status you will wish to restrict your interaction with the lower caste, and install narrow slits through which to brusquely issue directives, and generously allow people to touch your extended fingers, perhaps kiss them or suck on them a little. These slits can also be used to poke the barrel of your rifle through if you need to put them in their place and maybe cap an unruly few in the knee caps when they step out of line. You are taking a gun with you, aren't you? Because we all know that international travel is dangerous and this is the best way to keep safe and prevent situations from escalating. Good humour is for the meek and unarmed.

Anyway, you can trim the ivory laminate with something which shows your contempt for money, and your contempt for those who don't have any, by electroplating on some precious metal. Silver and gold are so 1990 for expedition vehicles, platinum was the noughties, now the twenteens is the era of palladium. I don't know if you can electroplate palladium to carbon fibre, and doubt you know either, but ring the bell for your man-servant (so good he's still with you after all these years) and have one of your team research it and just do it. This will stand out from those other Sub-Saharan Cruisers with their chrome and imitation ivory made from discarded (wilfully?) finger nails polished to a high gloss. Now that ridged, bumpy look that nail gives really is gauche.

The common people will celebrate your predilection for visual bombast, your pomp, your pageantry, your flair. Embrace them as they embrace you. Well, they will be reverential and want to touch your feet, don't succumb to venal, corrupt carnality and emerge from your ICON to, you know, interact or, God forbid, touch them. Remember to maintain your dignity, and contemptuousness of their base need to worship someone. Accept your natural ascension to their idolatrous pantheon and simply toss a few high fructose corn syrup confectioner's drops out the slit in your roof. Let the children scavenge your rewards and charity from the dirt as you pass. High fructose corn syrup has done wonders for American children, it's about time you shared it with the big bellied little ones of Africa. If you feel like it maybe shoot one of their parents in the shoulder as you pass, to ensure that they understand that they are subject to your will and that you will not be openly questioned by those who do not understand the workings of your advanced intellect. Word of your generosity and well-deserved discipline will spread and the people shall come forth to greet you.

Be it thus that you let the border guards at those impoverished African way stations really know that they are privileged to stand, and bathe, and bask, in the beatific grace that shines whenever you turn around. You are right to want to demonstrate their insignificance and subservience to the greater goodness of your will. Follow this advice and you will truly get what is coming to you on your trip, and it shall be glorious for all to witness. It is the natural, Darwinian way of things that people like you get what you deserve. Remember that, embrace it, and enjoy it when the time comes. We all will.

Kind Regards,
Mostly Anonymous...
(but not really)

I like this Guy!

Cheers!
~CLK

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Mostly I commend you on taking Mr Smails seriously and posting something civil and with a gentleman's style.

Smails my friend it looks like a quality build/support team is coming together for you.

And as I have gotten to know you a bit better through this thread I have a special offer for you, as a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society I have access to the Foyle Reading Room and there we can lay our hands on the journals of those vaulted and true expeditionary men of the last couple of centuries. After we properly research the scope of your Global Expedition we can also secure you a place in those hallowed halls if I am a member of your Team.

Another important subject to broach is the sponsorship of your expedition. Of course you are a man of means but no Global Overlanding effort is taken seriously unless there is a major corporate backer. A multi-national company (maybe even your own) will ease the border crossing and political aspect of visa apposition. Please don't worry about gaudy stickers on your Icon & support vehicles since as anyone can see these days true global branding is all about toned down subtle logos....I would advise small laser etching in the side windows so that the angle of shooting photos & video can either highlight or mask the logo as you choose.

This promises to be an Epic Expedition with a truly tactical team that can secure you the experience you deserve.

Smails

Laying It Down
While your silly reply is obviously for comic relief, a Bentley would certainly be more reliable than a Syncro.

I am appalled it has not been brought up yet.

Smails....one word.

Bentley

Stooping to driving a Toyota based vehicle is the most pedestrian thing you can consider.

Patman

Explorer
Bentley would certainly be more reliable than a Syncro.

Very true, and both exponentially more reliable then a Land Rover.

Although the fact that the Bentley is based on a VW would most likely keep you from enjoying your adventure and chafe your linens.

We can't have that

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
This reply to Mostly Anonymous isn't about Pearl paint on an Icon but rather the dangerous path Sir Anonymous is about to lead us down. But it gets worse than that. I have given this issue a great deal of thought, and I now have a strong conviction that when people say that bigotry and hate are alive and well, they're right. And Anonymous is to blame. Socrates was condemned to death by the city of Athens for his views. I hope I don't receive the same treatment for saying that the whole of Anonymous's quixotic, lewd worldview may perhaps be expressed in one simple word. That word is "terrorism". Let me explain: It has been said that Anonymous's latest ideas have arisen like a phoenix out of the ashes and failures of their indecent forebears. I believe that to be true. I also believe that when one examines the ramifications of letting him tinker about with a lot of halfway prescriptions, one finds a preponderance of evidence leading to the conclusion that if he bites me I will bite back.

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I gave some useful advice in my previous post, it was ignored.

I will give some more advice which I am sure will be ignored again. I also think this thread is chat and belongs in fireside. And the witty flaming and bashing is weak, I much prefer a flipoff smile.

This is more constructive criticism and opinions then advice but I will toss in some advice too.

I like the guys at TLC, I have met them and do like their ideas, concepts and work. However, most of their trucks in particular the Icon is built for a certain class and type of person. That type of person rarely gets off the pavement and really uses plus abuses the vehicle. I am sure knowing this the people at TLC build the truck the way they do.

I revisit the suspension;

Their designs are pretty typical. A triangulated 4-link rear and a 3-link front with a panhard. They use DOM tube, Johnny Joints, tabs/mounts bought from Synergy or Ballistic or another place on the internet and they use some middle of the road coilovers. They also use some Currie sway bars. Anybody can buy this stuff and anybody can build it with some tools, a bit of skill and a brain. Their design has lots to be improved upon. Coilovers could be a much better brand such as King. They could gusset and brace the tabs and mounts much better on both the frame and axles. Their shock towers and bump can mounts leave a lot to be desired and could be made much stronger. In fact I see borderline booger welds on their website for mounting some of this stuff to the chassis. Johnny Joints work fairly well but as I said need to be rebuilt often. There are much better rod ends or joints out there on the market. Johnny Joints are one of the cheapest. DOM links are fairly easy to bend, ask me how I know. A much better choice for a link is chromoly or 7075 aluminum. Neither of which is really all that much more expensive and both are much stronger.

Motors: they pick good ones but they are simply buying plug and play crate motors. Many people are buying the same things and installing in their garage.

Axles, gear boxes: Also they pick good stuff here but again it is nothing all that special really. Axles are great, I have nothing bad to say about them at all other then they really should be running a D60 up front. The t-case crawl ratio is rather weak for putting an Atlas in these. Why not a 4spd Atlas giving many more choices and a much deeper final crawl ratio?

Bodies and frames: Yup they just buy pre-made stuff. The body pieces are quality but anybody can buy them and build an FJ40/43/45. Powder coating the body is really stupid for anybody who uses their truck off pavement. How is it you are going to repair chips? Don't tell me it won't chip because I know from experience it will. Powder coating frames is just as foolish for an off pavement truck. And how is the inside of that custom boxed frame sealed up from rust? I read nothing about that on any of their website.

For overlanding these trucks lack in many ways. Fuel tank size is small limiting range, especially with a v8. Suspension will have to be tuned and maybe even modified for weight once the truck is set up with all the overland gear and loaded down for this 2yr trip. I would expect some high end security for the high end price tag. You are going to have to spend more to get the truck secure for taking it to 3rd world countries? How are you planning to cross borders with this truck, just like a regular vehicle? So you don't expect any problems with having a truck built by a company really unknown called Icon? And Africa, you planning to lay down the hefty deposits to cross some countries there based on the purchase price of this truck? If Icon going to be your parts supplier while on the road? Have you talked to them about this and what lead times will be? Everything they build the Icon out of is sourced out of house. Does that mean they have to contact the 3rd party every time you need something or do they stock everything in house? Many things you should think about and consider before hitting the road....

My personal feeling about the Icon, I can build better for less money. I can buy everything they buy for the trucks, only thing in question is the frame and many very good expert fabricators out there could build me one. It is not a good choice for overlanding IMHO because you can do the same thing in a fairly stock or even modified FJ40/43/45. And do it for tens upon tens of thousands less. Their trucks are about bling and about being able to afford one. They really are not about any kind of hardcore use or driving around the world. For $100,000 and often much more from Icon I expect a truck that is ready to go for whatever I toss at it, I also expect it has been tested to take what I will throw at it. I do not expect to have to spend a bunch more cash to get things right or upgrades for things like security. The price tag on these suggests it is ready for anything I can throw at it. I also know very well I could have any different number of top fabrication companies in this country build me a much better truck for the same price. It maybe won't have all the bling like SS dash knobs or powder coated body but mechanically it will be much better. It is also not hard to make something look good and I don't need fancy words to back that up. On top of this for $100k+ I expect an Atlas 4spd and also a D60 up front. I also expect 300m shafts in the axles.

I am sure somebody will come along and say, hey I drove the Rubicon in my Icon. or I take mine in the dirt fairly often. Or Icon ran their Baja addition down the cape and back. Hey great I say, I never said they couldn't do it only that they are not built to take a lot of that. There is hardly even any skid plates on the truck so good luck in the rocks. I would also like to hear some reports of how they are holding up to regular use in difficult terrain. I don't see any reports out there on the web about how these trucks are holding up to long term use and abuse as well as what problems may be showing up. I also don't mean use on that fire road in the hills or a few day trip through The Mojave Desert or the one time you ran the Rubicon. I mean how about 30 weekends in Johnson Valley throwing everything at this truck you can. I don't think these trucks have really been tested at length like big vehicle manufacturers do or even like what a lot of the custom fab shops int he country are putting out. I volunteer to test an Icon, I will drive it to Panama and back and run it hard. I am willing to bet problems will arise and if not I will eat my words! :D

:lurk:

Smails

Laying It Down
I can assure you, your advice is not being ignored. Thank you for all of it. I will filter through and reply with questions. Forgive, I am new to this and I have to wade through the sarcasm and non-believers here.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
My Dear Chap,

What? What! What the Dickens is with all the naysaying nincompoops popping up and peeing in this thread. My good man, My God Man!, hopefully someone of your refined sensibilities knows exactly how to treat the odious and bilious discontent - the malcontentment of the low classes, those chimney sweeps and other mindless, massing minions who seem to dominate this forum. That Blue fellow chief amongst them, I should say. ... 'Downstairs folk' trying to rise above their station, all of them. Shows a COMPLETE and damnable lack of civility and good manners - what would their Grand Mamas' think? Forget the plebeians, mere proletariat cattle lacking chattel, and let us discuss this like the honourable Patrician Gentlemen we so evidently are. People of a certain class recognise each other, Sir, and I recognise you.

[snip, once was more than adequate]

Kind Regards,
Mostly Anonymous...
(but not really)

Well, uh, nuh uh!

zimm

Expedition Leader
I gave some useful advice in my previous post, it was ignored.

I will give some more advice which I am sure will be ignored again. I also think this thread is chat and belongs in fireside. And the witty flaming and bashing is weak, I much prefer a flipoff smile.
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. tested at length like big vehicle manufacturers do or even like what a lot of the custom fab shops int he country are putting out. I volunteer to test an Icon, I will drive it to Panama and back and run it hard. I am willing to bet problems will arise and if not I will eat my words! :D

:lurk:

youd sit in a george carlin audience and argue with him, wouldnt you?

dwh said:
The only screwup I see on a quick read-through is this bloody errant apostrophe.
Honestly! You Americans and the destruction of our Queen's English. Are you advocating "what would their Grand Mamas's think?" It is a possessive plural noun, sir - it identifies a collective, a brace, a gaggle - a nag, if you will, of Grand Mothers and their thoughts on the matter, apropos of "what would their Grand Mothers' think?". Actually, one can hardly blame the Americans alone, but what they heck, I shall for this endeavour. Next you shall have at me saying that there is only one 'l' in traveller, or that encyclopaedia is misspelt...

McZippie said:
That word is "terrorism".
If we are throwing around *isms here, Master McZippie, the only one (well, main one) that springs to mind is "satirism". Much more fun than terrorism, which is a nasty, nasty business, and I can do it (satirism) hidden behind my keyboard. Ultimately though, satire seems woefully misunderstood within these hallowed halls of ExPo. I do say, this thread is becoming awfully fun, working out who is serious, who is sarcastic, but misidentifying my good self as being an advocate of the OP? Too subtle for y'all?

Mr Blue said:
Well, uh, nuh uh!
Quite! Well said. Do forgive me, Dear Chap, for picking on you, but it was just too sublimely irresistible... Being class stirrer (in the best way) and staunch advocate of satire and wit on these mighty pages I felt sure you'd see through to the heart of the matter and dismiss it for what it so obviously was.

Smails said:
Now, that is more along the lines of the professed EP mindset. Bravo!
Thank you for identifying your origins. You confirmed my suspicions, but I was not 100% sure until this comment.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
I will be having some lower-downs do research for me but I thought I might get my hands dirty on the keyboard, as well.

Also, I will have my personal IT division download pictures.

Oh! SEMPERtoy...Marines! I get it. How droll. That is okay. ...I appreciate the offer of lodging, and have indeed spent some time in smallish confines...I would not impose on you.

I beg to differ.
Money talks, my friend.
Perhaps you spend too much time in the nappy dugout and not enough time making it happen.

I may need a kidney transplant half way through, but I should be able to buy a fresh set of those from any one of numerous countries along the way. Comparatively cheap, I might add.

Do you actually have a vocabulary or are you only able to cut and paste meaningless, stupid pictures?
Why don't you speak your mind and quit acting like a limey bastard?
Perhaps you need childish snippets from the internet to do your talking for you. If so, carry on...tut tut, cheerio!

My vocabulary is not lacking, I assure you. My photos are merely 'internet speak' calling out the blatant pretentiousness of the posts, quoted for posterity above, pointing out the very real odds of you being nothing but a "troll." I realize that you, being the fine upstanding member of society that you seem to present yourself to be, might not understand what a "troll" is so I will "speak my mind" and explain it for you. A "troll" is someone who frequents a message board with responses that are extraneous, inflammatory or provoking. Your posts are dripping with this kind of sarcastic, baiting language. Now, if you are not posting in such a pompous, conceited manner to elicit a desired response, then I will be the first to apologize. I will admit that this apology is very far off as you have yet to offer up any proof to attest to your being genuine. Something as easy as this ICON you purport to own. I am certain that someone with your resources, like a "personal IT division," could post a photo of it, right?

Also, as TangoBlue pointed out, I am an American who normally resides in one of the original colonies but am studying abroad completing my Masters. A "limey bastard" I am not. Although, I am taken aback by this turn of phrase. I imagine it to be beneath someone of your elevated stature. I would have expected something more sophisticated. Troglodyte, benighted, ribald. But alas, color me disappointed.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
It is a possessive plural noun, sir

Plural it is. Possessive it is not, for you failed to identify what it is that those hypothetical cogitating grannies possess.

But don't let it trouble you excessively...it is after all, such a common mistake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle

Members online