The Official 2012 Overland Expo thread!!! Post your comments, questions, images...

roamingaz

Explorer
Great idea on the HAM testing, I have been reading the manual but also need to get motivated to take the test.
I have been to the other Overland Expo's and this one was the best by far, my wife even mentioned she would like to sign up for next years expo and take the classes. My wife also really enjoyed meeting new people and how friendly everyone was, she even took over showing off my Tentrax to the folks that stopped by camp to take a look.
I liked there were more vendors with some good show specials and how passionate they were about their products. Aside from the smaller items I found I also ended up buying a Tembo Tusk slide and seriously considering a Kanz kitchen, both are hand made here in the USA.
Suggestions for next year? maybe more organized camping/parking area
I also think adding classes that include activities that are part of a overlanding trip such as beginners course on kayaking or mt biking, and I really wanted to see at least one truck with a snorkal go in the water :snorkel:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Interestingly, one of the ideas Duncan Barbour and Andy Dacey mentioned for next year was a radio class and test on site.

The notion of classes for day pass attendees has been floated before, but it would be a logistical impossibility. We have a hard enough time coordinating 80 classes for all our weekend pass guests who sign up in advance. Letting two or three thousand day pass attendees pick out individual classes just would not work. And there are a bunch of things for them to do already besides visiting vendors - the film festival, round-table discussions, etc.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I already gave my suggestion to Jonathan during our Africa round-table...extend the event by at least a day...

:)

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
We had a great time, though I've got to say by Saturday evening the crowds were really getting to me. I think where we were parked for camping had a lot to do with it. I don't mind camping that close to people I know and want to be around, but a lot of the time it really felt like we were encroaching on someone else's camping spot. It was more like Coachella camping or (Insert other large festival here).....if we go next year I'm going to make sure we are able to camp in the overflow area out in the field where we still have neighbors to meet but not sleep on top of. ;) I know it will be further away from the festivities but its not a big deal to bring some bicycles with. :bike_rider:

Since we are throwing suggestions out I was thinking it might be fun to have a charity trail run and/or mountain bike ride. Its a beautiful area and while there are not a ton of trails around there I'm sure we could find something and raise some money for a good cause.

crismateski

American Adventurist
I may have just missed it, but I would like to see organized 4x4 runs, or even just scenic drives. I went out on my own, and saw some of the beauty of the area, but it was just random driving in the forest.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
5-19-12_10.jpg

5-19-12_11.jpg
For those that don't recognize the engine, it's a Jeep 4.0L complete with factory airbox, presumably out of a Jeep Wrangler TJ.

The engine is not the only part of this Willys that is Wrangler, the entire chasis is an '04 Rubicon Unlimited.

Tacovendor

Explorer
I have attended all of the Expo's to date and this was by far the best, this is the one time of the year we all get to see all our friends from around the world, we are very fortunate to be in a community of great people. For the Hansons THANK YOU! because of your vision we get this chance every year. I would like to thank everyone that came by the BajaRack booth and had a beer or gave the positive feedback. Nice to see Jeremy and Nick from Icon Vehicle Dynamics and Jason Demello come to the event once again, Jamesons and Carne Asada, what a combo.. Zach, I now have enough Hydroflasks to hold enough fluids for a month! Good job. Rou the SA sausage is excellent and the Howling Moon is a nice improvement for the FJ. Paul your party was awesome, Lisa and I bought some LRC dice on the way home! Our trip home was warm as the temp hit 106 at the bottom of the hill and didn't get below 108 till we reached the grade out of Borrego!
Once again from BajaRack, thanks to our fellow adventurers! See you next year.
OX12a.jpg

garrett

Supporting Sponsor
I may have just missed it, but I would like to see organized 4x4 runs, or even just scenic drives. I went out on my own, and saw some of the beauty of the area, but it was just random driving in the forest.

I agree and we're going to suggest this for next year in hoping that we can incorporate some training on some moderate trails in the area - if they exist and are legal to run.

Great event this year and for us instructing, a far better climate to be doing it in. Well except for the wind on the first day! But clearly far better attended this year, which highlighted the better venue. Local general store, restaurant, cabins, etc. made for more convenience.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I agree and we're going to suggest this for next year in hoping that we can incorporate some training on some moderate trails in the area - if they exist and are legal to run.

Now that would really raise the bar... OEX does a great job training practical applications of recovery technique.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Hackney OvEx Presentations

Our OvEx 2012 (and prior years) training presentations are now posted at:

http://www.hackneys.com/travel/index-presentations.htm

Sessions include:

• 43 Countries - Lessons Learned
  • A Couple's Survival Guide to Overlanding
  • Overlanding for Women
  • Shipping for Overlanders
  • Coming Ashore
  • The Organized Overlander
  • Truck Pack List
  • Bike Pack List/Inventory

dhackney

Expedition Leader
RE: additional training / certification

A format that is common for professional conferences is pre- and/or post-conference sessions. These are typically half- or full-day sessions dedicated to a specific topic or track.

Pre- and post-conference sessions are usually additional cost and ala carte.

For instance, there could be pre- or post-OvEx sessions on:
- Radio (including a 2nd day certification test or level-up-certification)
- Navigation
- Vehicle Suspension (theory, design, practice, calibration, measurement, etc.)
- Medical
- Recovery
- Driving / Riding skills (beginner, intermediate, expert, refresher, etc.)
- Vehicle preparation for extended travel
- Cooking
- Destination activities (kayaking, rock climbing, photography, etc.)
- Overseas travel planning, execution, etc.
- Regional / continent planning & execution (including relevant guides/services/etc. )
- Overlanding Experts Coaching/Mentoring sessions (meet the expert/guru)
- Etc.

These pre- and post-conference sessions function to:
- Provide targeted information, education and training
- Add levels of ability/certification
- Create recurring revenue (it gives people a reason to return to subsequent conferences)

From the trainer / presenter perspective, a half- or full-day session enables us to share much more information, detail and real-life experiences than a 50 minute time slot allows. The shorter slots are great to introduce a topic and provide a broad overview, but if you want to teach someone how to work with GPS track logs, prepare a vehicle parts inventory for China or how to prepare a big GS for two-up travel, you can only do that in a longer time block.

I imagine the Hansons are thinking about little more than R&R right now, but I hope that pre- and post-conference sessions can be considered for future events. We get a lot of inquiries and requests for them from our audiences at OvEx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle