Prepping a camel trophy defender 110 for around the world...

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Sitting at a Denny's in middle Texas... Trucks running as awesome as I hoped it would..sleeping accommodations inside the truck aren't meant for Florida temps but bearable...

Redtailedflyer

I have to say, this is the greatest adventure defender I have ever seen, and its a real inspiration for me and I'd imagine everyone else as well. When are your websites going to launch?

cosmic88

Observationalist
Bon Voyage

Shayne, Everyone at the Florida Land Rover Club wishes you safe and adventurous travels. While you are away Manny and I are going to get his RRC and my D1 ready to follow you for any needed support... we'll even bring a 12 ton press :sombrero:

We missed you at the FLRC rally back at the end of April but heard all about your progress from Manny. Have a great time and keep us all updated.

maxingout

Adventurer
Your Camel Trophy 110 looked and performed awesome at the Overland Expo at Mormon Lake. It is the real deal. Enjoy your driving trip around the world. I am envious already.

Sidebar

Observer
The hood came back from my painter and now it is time to install the spare tyre carrier, problem is that since I am running bigger tyres the wheel holder needs to me modified, does it ever end..???
Hello old sport.
Do you have any problems with vibration or shaking from the spare when you drive. I have just fitted my spare on the hood and I am worried that the movement will wear the hood hinges and lock mechanism.

Cheers

tacr2man

Adventurer
Sidebar , the hood should handle the tyre OK , with good hinge inserts , and the lock pin holding the front down well on the support pads its should not move. Later defender hoods are not as strong , and the ali is thinner , so what happens if the vehicle is used on corrugated tracks is the flexing causes some splits to appear . There is a reinforcing kit supplied with the spare wheel carrier kit , but they were not always fitted by the owners . I have a 86 110csw (thicker gage ali) and that has carried a spare (mostly 235/85r16 BFG MT ) for all its life , including 12yrs in OZ , without any signs of a problem . HTSH .

The Rover Shop

Explorer
I also installed the heaviest guage checker plate I could get on the hood and the fenders...I knew I was going to need to walk on the them to set up the tent all the time...seems to be holding up great...done lots of miles on corrugated back roads...but only time will tell.. no matter what happens I have to keep this hood intact..had 10 of the camel trophy guys sign it...wayyy cool...

young-rovers-rtw-117-L.jpg

young-rovers-rtw-118-L.jpg

young-rovers-rtw-119-L.jpg

young-rovers-rtw-120-L.jpg

young-rovers-rtw-121-L.jpg

young-rovers-rtw-122-L.jpg

Howski

Do you have a blog up and going about your travels? I know you mentioned perhaps starting one earlier in the thread

TomOwen

Observer
Congrats and safe travels!!!

Just read the build, wow! Ditto what ElSolis said about being welcome in Northern California. Please let us know if/when you'll both be out our way.

Also, any idea when YoungRovers or the long way home will be live??

Best of luck on your journey ans safe travels,

Tom Owen
'96 D1

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Damn that's not good, wish you had answered your PM's. Package was due to reach you the weekend before you left. I'll let the dispatcher know

Edited to say: It left by airmail on the 14th, scheduled to arrive 4 days later. The only hold up would be customs...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12