Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

REDROVER

Explorer
Looks like Mike disappeared. He has the kit . If u gonna do it. The most ideal and very powerful will be 6.5 mechanical turbo. But zf 22 or 24 won't stand the chance . Unless u get 5 speed. Manual or even better 4L80E
6.2 with turbo will give u about 420 lb torque . 6.5 mechanical turbo with just a touch will give u over 500lb torque so choose ur transmission carefully..

Eric

Excursion73

Observer
Looks like Mike disappeared. He has the kit . If u gonna do it. The most ideal and very powerful will be 6.5 mechanical turbo. But zf 22 or 24 won't stand the chance . Unless u get 5 speed. Manual or even better 4L80E
6.2 with turbo will give u about 420 lb torque . 6.5 mechanical turbo with just a touch will give u over 500lb torque so choose ur transmission carefully..

Eric

Eric your t56 transmission classic has me drooling! Your build is fantastic and I have learned a lot from your threads on the various forums! I have already sourced some potential 6.2's. I am not rally going for a power build, thats what my Excursion is for. :) The goal of the Rover project is to increase fuel economy and experiment with alternative fuels such as WVO. The 6.2 with its mechanical injection and simplicity is going to be a good test platform before I try doing anything to either of my 7.3l diesels. I love how cheap parts are for these motors. I guess I will have to shoot Mike an email about the kit. :)

When I get started their will be a build thread. ;) Now I just need to find some free time to make it all come together!

Losdinspace

I am new to the forum because of this tread. I am buying a 2003 DII, would this be a possiable engine swap option? My biggest issue would be getting the stock computers to work enough and not have to many issues. I was also looking into a 5.3 LS swap.

So what radiator are you running in the P38?

Also, what springs? I was told the Ford F350 springs would work. Will the F250 Springs work?

If I am not running a lift, can I trim the F250 springs to make the ride height appropriate?

R-Overland

Adventurer
Eric thank you for answering thse questions. I was pretty busy and for some reason I didn't get any notifications for a while
I know from Eric that F250 springs will work > I myself have Old mans emu HD and an inch of body lift.
got a modified radiator with larger tanks ...due to the body lift I can do that

Excursion73

Observer
Eric thank you for answering thse questions. I was pretty busy and for some reason I didn't get any notifications for a while
I know from Eric that F250 springs will work > I myself have Old mans emu HD and an inch of body lift.
got a modified radiator with larger tanks ...due to the body lift I can do that

How much body lift did you do? Did you make your own spacers or find a kit?

R-Overland

Adventurer
I used a kit ... one inch of body lift, that was little enough to not cause any problems. I have 3 inch above the normal range rover high setting now.

I'm in Florida too, where'd you go to get your radiator built?

Using stock fans or the Mercedes Volvo setup redrover did? Did you make shrouds?

Did you modify Chevy engine mounts, fab your own, or...

REDROVER

Explorer
So what radiator are you running in the P38?

Also, what springs? I was told the Ford F350 springs would work. Will the F250 Springs work?

If I am not running a lift, can I trim the F250 springs to make the ride height appropriate?

yes f250 springs will do the job, but i think i am gonna go with old man springs , those that i have are very hard .

REDROVER

Explorer
lol funny this guy today told me that my engine is making knocking noise needs work it will stop any moment ,, i told him its diesel not gasoline , he got all red lol haha funny wanna be mechanics that cant even tell the difference between diesel sound vs knocking sound. yes those humvee diesels are not like modern quiet diesel, when you arrive ppl will know u came.

Eric

gte

I am in the process of a similar conversion on a 1998 Discovery. What power steering gearbox are you using or is that the stock RR box?

BurbanAZ

Explorer
great looking truck. I dont even have a range rover but i have a Suburban with the 6.5td. I always heard that people swap the these engines into the Range Rovers but hadnt seen one. Also im not sure if u ever got ur tach working but on my suburban my alternator sends the signal for the tach so you could probably swap a gm alternator in there and get ur tach working if u havent already figured it out.

R-Overland

Adventurer
hot to get the tach working

my diesel engine sends a signal from the back of the engine block, where the vacuum pump is on other models. So I could use the HMMWV tach I have. I would have to make a custom cluster with a new speedo then (Have to buy an adapter to make it work).

or buy an adapter to make the stock speedo work in the stock cluster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears