Post up your drawer/storage system

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Man, some great set ups in this thread. I wish I had the skills to do something similar to my JK. I don't have the experience or the tools to pull off 95% of the set ups some of you guys have.

I need to get to brainstorming and figure out some ways to build something that won't end up being a frustrating build.

someday

Adventurer
Man, some great set ups in this thread. I wish I had the skills to do something similar to my JK. I don't have the experience or the tools to pull off 95% of the set ups some of you guys have.

I need to get to brainstorming and figure out some ways to build something that won't end up being a frustrating build.

x2.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Just found something today that may help me along with my own version.... Being thrifty (cheap) and spry (for a middle ager) I fought a difficult fight with a very large box. Found what used to be some sort of PA/Audio transportation thing (Like what roadies would use to load out band gear?)in the recycle dumpster. Its about 5' tall, 2 feet deep, and 4 feet wide roughly. It has 3 pretty heavy duty drawers on slides that need cleaning (dirt and grit) and 3 pretty cool pull out...uh, shelves or tables? Not sure what to call them. They are about an inch thick and also on sliders. The entire thing is covered in a dark, short pile carpet and has foam all inside it to protect whatever used to live in it.
I'm pretty sure it will just get broken down into usable components and I'll make something work more Jeep frendly. Sorry I didn't get any pics yet.. I'll work on that. :)

Xterabl

Adventurer
Haha...sounds pretty value-added, especially for the price. You should start your own thread: Things I found in my Base Dumpster.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Haha...sounds pretty value-added, especially for the price. You should start your own thread: Things I found in my Base Dumpster.

Lol.... Believe it or not I have. :) On the military jeepers site I started one called dumpster diving. Its both sickening and interesting to see the things that show up there. No telling what kind of bizarre or neat item will appear. And if your not proud (my pride is trumped by my cheapness every time!) you can usually find all manner of useful bits. Found parts to make my swing out tire carriers for my Jeeps, enough stereo gear (both home and auto) to have decent tunes forever for free. And sometimes the ever so popular pelican case or recovery gear will turn up as well. The sickening part is these are all mine and your tax dollars getting tossed in the trash. So if one or two items finds a new purpose and there is no profiting going on...*shrugs* :)

Chaplain

These are a few pics of the boxes I built to fit the back of my Jeep ZJ. The big "tool box" fits the cargo area. The small one "food storage" I insulated and is made to fit the 60/40 split rear seat while folded flat.
Joel is that you out there on the interweb?? I recognize that silver/blue YJ anywhere!! Dude I haven't talked with you in forever, hope your doing well. Looks like the silver I sprayed is still sticking, sorry that wasn't a better paint job. Glad you still have it...... if Nomad is Joel or does Nomad have Joel's old jeep?

Back on subject for the everyone else: Got this box from Tuffy security www.tuffyproducts.com and it fits the back of a 3rd gen 4runner perfect.
52857_461452959753_7944650_o.jpg
150877_461459249753_3414764_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dennx

Adventurer
I finally finished up my cargo drawers. I've been lurking here but enjoy reading all the informative posts. This thread inspired me to design my own drawers. I got some rubber floor matting and cut it to fit inside and on top of the drawers. The next thing is to mount the Powertank and fire extinguisher.

5a048361.jpg

096c0adc.jpg

7193ea38.jpg

fasteddy47

Adventurer
I finally finished up my cargo drawers. I've been lurking here but enjoy reading all the informative posts. This thread inspired me to design my own drawers. I got some rubber floor matting and cut it to fit inside and on top of the drawers. The next thing is to mount the Powertank and fire extinguisher.
Nice Setup..... Well Done

dp7197

Adventurer
JKU

After looking at storage systems for a while on the thread I decided I would use Pelican cases for my storage. I just needed a way to hold them in the back of my Wrangler Unlimited JK. Since I delt quite a bit with a fire apparatus manufacturer, I decided to see if I could have them bend me up some aluminum for my storage system. The aluminum is 1/8" thick and not too heavy.

I kept the back and bottom open so that I could access the storage compartment underneath. I removed by subwoofer and replaced it with a factory panel while maintining my factory 12-volt outlet. The wiring is not adequate enough to power my ARB fridge, so I had replaced it with the ARB wiring which I will now mount to the back of the box.

The bottom holds four Pelican cases and the area above holds my plastic folding table. The ARB slide is bolted to the right side. I gave the second piece a slight arch before bolting it down to compensate for the weight of the fridge. The table slides out nicely and then can be set up. The fridge slides out with just enough room but will not allow the door to open fully. A tradeoff I guess.

The smaller box will hold my ARB strap bags and keep them from sliding around. I may put a net on the front to keep them away from the rear glass.

Two smaller trays will bolt to each side to hold my tool bags containing fluids and such.

The almost finished product. I will have the rear attach to the rear seat bolts and in the front I installed nutserts under the plastic pieces for 3/8" bolts with access holes. Hope you like it.

:sombrero:

Overland_Vitara

I thought I'd contribute what little I can to this thread, as it has been a big inspiration to me. There are some stunning storage units on here. This is my design for a storage unit to go into the back of my Suzuki Vitara (Sidekick in the US). We don't have the vast off roading opportunities available to us here in the UK, so this is more for self supported long weekends away with the wife, rather than a many hundred mile trip into the wild. The cutout on the right is for a slide out fridge drawer, to the left of that is space for a 25litre water container, and the rest of the holes will have drawers in them. On top will be tie down points and cargo tracking to make sure nothing moves should the unforseeable happen.
I work with students, who are about to return to university, so my work load is about to got nuts for a couple of months, but hopefully I'll get this built over the winter.
I'm not brilliant with computers, so I drew it the old fashioned way and then just took a photo of it.
Thanks for looking

Drawers1.jpg

Anthony

grimbo

Explorer
Got mine sorted a bit more with fine weather kicking in early.

Was initially dubious of the value of drawers due their permanence, cost to buy or lack of tools and space to make my own.

Had survived with a simple plastic tub in next to the fridge for food and bags of clothes piled in top. Worked ok but was a bit messy and was a nightmare to get to food when the Patrol was packed. So maybe drawers were a good idea.

Started trawling eBay for a bargain. This never turned up so changed my tact and started thinking what else has drawers, is sturdy, lockable, right size and cheap.

I give to you the humble filing cabinet. Fit all the criteria, was free, was the same colour as the interior by a complete fluke.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346643386.567356.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346643409.678037.jpg

Works for me, can't wait to see if it works as well as I hope once we go camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78