Suzuki V-Strom 1000 Concept

haven

Expedition Leader
SuzukiV-Strom1000Concept.jpg

Suzuki has jumped [edit: jumped back, thanks Cody1771] into the big bore adventure touring game (the so-called "Ewan and Charlie" bikes) with a version of their V-Strom 1000 outfitted in the style of a Dakar competitor. Features of the new V-Strom include a reworked V-Twin engine, anti-lock brakes, traction control, and a frame designed with luggage in mind.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/10/suzukis-bringing-back-the-v-strom-1000

Cody1771

Explorer
Suzuki has jumped into the big bore adventure touring game

uhh not so much, the DL1000 was around for a few years but was discontinued in 2008, i wonder why? lol, it has a great reputation for being an awsome bike!
(the so-called "Ewan and Charlie" bikes)

this made me cringe, i have NEVER heard them called this, while they might be the most publicized they are far from the first to do it, nor where they pioneers in any way, however i love there shows and hope that they do another!

i personally really like this bike, it really speaks to the people who love the strom, they stayed true to the more street oriented adventure touring bike but gave it enough oomph that i can do some offroading. i like the new "beak" since it doesnt looked like it lost a fight and got its nose caved in anymore. it made sense that they carried over all the standard features that the newer DL650's have like the V-Twin engine, anti-lock brakes, traction control, and a frame designed with luggage in mind, i will guess that you will be able to get the adventure package like the 650. i would buy one for sure! especially if they keep the price point around 10k like the other DL1000's.

zolo

Explorer
I like the looks and Suzuki can built a nice riding bike and a reliable one. So I bet if the comes out of concept it will be a nice bike for any ADV.
I even dig the red paint job.

Might be good for those Obi-Wan/Boorman RTW like trips....:cool:
"SO-called" LMFAO... Write that nonsense over on ADVrider and you would get banned....

sandalscout

Adventurer
I dig it, seems like it might be a good competitor for the other liter adventure bikes.

uhh not so much, the DL1000 was around for a few years but was discontinued in 2008, i wonder why? lol, it has a great reputation for being an awsome bike!

Where was this at(Europe only)? I never had heard this, and I know that the remodeled 2012 DL1000 was available in the United States, not so in Canada?

Cody1771

Explorer
yup, shop down the road from me has a low millage 08 DL1000 for sale right now, i have a buddy with an 07. not sure if the 2012 was available here or not but i could ask my dealership next time im in.

right from wikipedia;

The Suzuki V-Strom 1000, also known as the DL1000, is a dual-sport motorcycle with a 996 cc V-twin engine and a standard riding posture. It has been manufactured in Japan by Suzuki since 2002,[3] although sales in Europe ended in 2009.[5] The name V-Strom combines "V" referring to the bikes engine configuration with the German "Strom", meaning stream or current.

The V-Strom motorcycle is based on the V-twin engine initially designed for the Suzuki TL1000S and TL1000R motorcycles. It incorporates design elements from other Suzuki motorcycles including Fuel Injection based on the GSX-R models. A smaller-engined version, V-Strom 650 is also manufactured.

not sure when the actually stopped selling them in Canada but they where around for some time, i've seen tons of them here on the west coast.

Last edited:

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah :p i know they where not available here for awhile, not sure if they had the 2012 model or not, i would be suprised if they didnt, they are pretty popular up here. cant wait for the new model! might be able to justify trading in my 650 :p

sandalscout

Adventurer
yeah :p i know they where not available here for awhile, not sure if they had the 2012 model or not, i would be suprised if they didnt, they are pretty popular up here. cant wait for the new model! might be able to justify trading in my 650 :p

Especially if the price is right. I REALLY like the Super Tenere, but I can't justify spending $15,000 on any bike.

Cody1771

Explorer
a KTM 690 is a very different beast from the Tenere or anything really in its CC class. its a dirt bike on steroids with lights and a plate.

Guns

Look Mom no hands!

2009 was the last year. Everyone wanted better gas mileage and were buying the 650. I would never move down to the 650 after riding the 1000. They are both awesome bikes for a very good price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman