Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I made up a pair of brackets to attach the tub end of the tailgate cables to:

TailgateBrackets1_zps8c8ae75b.jpg

TailgateBrackets2_zps414069f2.jpg

The fiberglass end panel is plenty strong enough to support weight on the tailgate, here's the 225-lb gorilla test:

TailgateBrackets5_zps6fec4d8c.jpg

The aftermarket fiberglass tailgate creaked a little under the weight of this test, but the tub was solid.

There are more photos of the tailgate installation in the main build thread at the Trailer Adventuring forum: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119.html

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The tailgate I've got installed is an aftermarket Jeep tailgate with no logo, but a Jeep factory tailgate with logo could be installed instead. And for the people who don't want a "Jeep look" to their military trailer, the fiberglass Dinoot smooth tailgate could be installed, here's one on a Dinoot:

SmoothTailgate10.jpg

The Dinoot smooth tailgate can be configured as a drop down (above) or a side swing (below), in both cases Jeep CJ tailgate hinges (factory or aftermarket) are used.

FinalTent2-1.jpg

Also in both cases, exterior locking latches can be installed, which is very handy for a tub with a hard cover on it - the stock CJ-style tailgates require you reach inside to undo the latches.

The one in the photo below is set up as a side-swing and has one latch/lock; if you set it up as a drop-down it si designed so you could put latch/locks on both sides (they'd have the same key):

SideSwingDone3-2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was playing around with a rear door off an old postal Jeep today:

Hardtop1_zpsc586f932.jpg

And I was also thinking more about the split hard cover I plan to make in fiberglass:

SplitCoverOpen_zps886de501.jpg

And then the two ideas came together... the same half-covers I would make in the photo above could also be used as side panels for a hardtop, just bolt them in place vertically...

Hardtop3_zpsafc7c612.jpg

The postal Jeep door is slightly tall for the hard cover sides, they'd be 24" high (because they're split to cover half of the 4' wide tub when lying flat), and the postal door is also basically 24" high above the tub (I cheated the side panels a little taller in this drawing to make the door almost fit), so a different door would have to be made up in fiberglass, also a flat roof panel would have to be made up to cover the center above the two vertical panels, but those parts would be very straightforward to make.

The sides are more accurately scaled in this photo/drawing:

Hardtop4_zps9cc04592.jpg

The tub being only 6' long, I think this hardtop is a little short to call a camper top, but perhaps if there was a canvas extension to cover the drop-down tailgate, then you'd end up with almost 90" of horizontal space...

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I tried out an under-$5 Harbor Freight camo tarp for size:

HFTarpTest_zps807faebb.jpg

Looks like once I get some bows and some tie-down hooks installed, this tarp will work out pretty well. It's a pretty flimsy tarp, but for people on a budget, it could do just fine until a more substantial cover could be afforded.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Where is the cover......I don't see it.

Awesome tub, I hope this makes it to production soon, It will give many the ability to make a great trailer.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Where is the cover......I don't see it.
I'll begin making the mold masters and molds for the fiberglass cover in a couple of weeks, when I get the main trailer mostly done.

BTW tomorrow I'm getting the prototype soft tonneau cover made by the tonneau cover company.

Awesome tub, I hope this makes it to production soon, It will give many the ability to make a great trailer.
Thanks.

Everything's looking good with a company that is interested in bringing this tub to market.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Before the tub is bolted on, it's easier to do some of the hardware tasks I've got planned for the frame. This morning

I mounted a pair of stabilizer jacks on the rear. I wanted to angle them out at the rear corners for best stability, so I made up some brackets out of steel angle to mount the jacks to:

StabilizerJacks1_zps8b9b6f73.jpg

I welded nuts to the brackets to make it easy to install/remove the jacks from underneath.

Here's how they look when they're deployed:

StabilizerJacks2_zps57550105.jpg

And stowed:

StabilizerJacks3_zpsd62944bd.jpg

climbingxj

You have some great ideas and really nice looking designs. I have to say if I had a wrangler instead of an xj I'd be all over that safari hardtop! The military trailer is looking really nice. I like your ideas to make it consumer friendly, how it's easy to ship, and easily to customize. I wish I could give feedback, but all I have are compliments, hopefully they're encouraging. Thanks for posting so we can follow along.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I took the tub to the tonneau manufacturer's shop; they made a prototype tonneau to fit it.

Here's a photo of the tonneau cover work in progress. Didn't even have to unload the tub from my truck, just backed the whole thing into their shop.

TonneauProcess2_zps4a0d664f.jpg

I'll post photos of the completed and installed tonneau tomorrow.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You have some great ideas and really nice looking designs. I have to say if I had a wrangler instead of an xj I'd be all over that safari hardtop! The military trailer is looking really nice. I like your ideas to make it consumer friendly, how it's easy to ship, and easily to customize. I wish I could give feedback, but all I have are compliments, hopefully they're encouraging. Thanks for posting so we can follow along.

Thank you very much!!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here are some photos of the installed tonneau. Also on the front I've temporarily clamped the parts from a Harbor Freight cargo rack in place.

M72Tonneau1_zps21785462.jpg

M72Tonneau2_zps5bb5beb6.jpg

M72Tonneau3_zps262bd208.jpg

M72Tonneau4_zpsa80e8940.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few more photos, showing the tonneau unsnapped.

M72Tonneau5_zpsc2c9981f.jpg

There's a tailgate bar which supports the cover across the top of the tailgate, and provides a weatherstrip seal for the top of the tailgate.

M72Tonneau6_zps84f2b076.jpg

That bar slips right out when full access to the tailgate opening is required.

M72Tonneau7_zps830fd323.jpg

M72Tonneau8_zps724967d0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle

Members online