L322 details

michel

Observer
Shopping for a newer full size RR and having a hard time getting some details and maybe someone can help answer a few questions.

Looking at 2010 or better, but luke warm to the possibility of 07 and up. The truck will be for things like remote family camping, exploring from death valey, utah desert, canadian artic in winter(north west territory, yukon, ice roads) as we'll as regular road trips and daily driver for my wife, so pretty much everything except hard core trails like rubicon and dusey.

What I can't find easely are suspension differences between the years and the SC and non SC engine. I think they made the SC suspension stiffer and it has less articulation, but don't know for sure. I heard the 07 had the best off road suspension, so any details here would help. I'm biased towards softer rates and more articulation but if they are the same then fine.

Next are the diff and transfer case. So now we can get a factory rear locker, but i've heard nothing on the type of housing they now use. is it still the weak 2 pin? or 4 pin design (front and rear). What type of transfer case are they now using? Anybody know if it has a pto cover like the l230 or is it like the bosh one?

I have found out you can get a factory winch kit for up to 2009 if you want that, but not offered after that, so has anyone ever fitted a winch on a 2010-11? I can probably have a setup without one and still get out if I prepare for that, but it's a great tool to have on a stock truck.

Deales have become pretty useless, as so has the north american distributor, took 3 days for LRNA to call me back to say they have no winch kit for 2010 and up, the other questions, we'll they just don't like my kind is pretty much what I get.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Okay so lets see if I can clarify a few things for you. 2006-2009 are pretty much the same vehicles, with 2010-2012 getting the LCD gauge cluster, the option of power reclining rear seats, and the newer engines. As far as air suspension goes all of the 2006 and later L322's use the same air bags and compressor.

If you want to be able to fit stock 18" wheels you're going to need to stick to pre 2011 non supercharged models from what I've experienced. Supercharged models have the larger brake calipers that won't fit under anything smaller than a 19 and I believe the calipers were made standard in 2011 across the line.

From 2007-2009 a stock winch mount was offered but its costly and my dealer was unable to source one. I see them on eBay every now and then though for relatively cheap. Another option is to modify an LR3 ARB bumper and fit a winch behind it. It's been done, and I did it to my 08.

As far as the locker goes its an automatically activated type that is an option not all L322's come equipped with it. Best way to determine is to look at the information screen for 4x4 modes in the nav system.

I loved my L322, never left me stranded and always got me where I wanted to go and home again. It had some minor issues, but 2007 and onward are pretty safe years as long as maintenance has been done. Some guys swear by the earlier BMW built models but from what I've seen they are more problem prone. Let me know if I can help you out with any other questions.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Just a clarification, model years 2006-2009 are the same (2nd) generation, 2010-2012 are the 3rd generation L322 with the 5.0 engines and updated technology.

For what you are looking to do I would suggest a 2010 or newer HSE (not supercharged). This engine has as much as or more power than the SC 4.2 from the 2nd gen, without the additional equipment that comes with the SC package. I would recommend finding an HSE LUX package with the upgraded heated and cooled seats... the interior is much more comfortable for long trips. Although this will certainly not add to any capability.

All of the suspensions will effectively articulate the same, even if there is a half inch difference between some years it will be unnoticed. All transfer cases are the same, with a variable locking center differential, selectable low range, and no PTO cover of any kind.

The best information you will gather is from driving a few of them back to back. The 2nd generation 2006-2009 are very good vehicles with a good track record. The 3rd gen 2010-2012 are much improved in power, comfort features, and technology.

I am in sales with a very reputable dealership and my professional opinion is to look for a 2010 HSE LUX from a dealership that is Land Rover Certified. This will extend the warranty to 6 years and 100k from original in service date and will extend all of the complimentary benefits such as Roadside Assistance and trip interruption. Land Rover WILL PAY to tow the vehicle to the nearest Land Rover dealer even if it is 1000 miles away.

I know you are located in a different region of the country but if you need any dealer assistance please contact me. I may be able to help you in your search for a vehicle as well. Contact me via my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/agcheck or directly, PM me and I will offer you my email address.

michel

Observer
Thank you both that helps plenty. What about get home capability as if the diff or axle breaks, will the case still lock and get you moving?

RangeBrover

Explorer
Thanks transientmechanic, don't know how I forgot about the engine differences, completely forgot about that. I guess that's what I get when I reply at 2am.

I don't have any major experience with the 2010 or newer L322's but if it was me I'd stick with 2007-2009 in a standard HSE trim. By doing this you'll be able to fit 18's with decent tires and you don't have to worry about the LCD gauge cluster ever failing on you. The one benefit of going with a 2010 or newer though is the more powerful engines, and a far superior Navigation/Infotainment system as far as Land Rover standards go.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Thank you both that helps plenty. What about get home capability as if the diff or axle breaks, will the case still lock and get you moving?

This is a two pronged question, because first of all the chances of that even happening are next to none. In 10 years of being around L322s at dealerships I have never seen a diff or axle "break", outside of the 2003-2005 front driveshaft spline failures which have all been redesigned and replaced.

The transfer case has the ability to 100% lock however it will not do so at high speeds, if for some reason you catastrophically break a driveline component I would be planning on repairing in place or winching/towing.

RangeBrover

Explorer
This is a two pronged question, because first of all the chances of that even happening are next to none. In 10 years of being around L322s at dealerships I have never seen a diff or axle "break", outside of the 2003-2005 front driveshaft spline failures which have all been redesigned and replaced.

The transfer case has the ability to 100% lock however it will not do so at high speeds, if for soume reason you catastrophically break a driveline component I would be planning on repairing in place or winching/towing.

Again I'd have to second this. I've never heard of a diff or axle failure on a L322 minus the recall issue. All post 2007's should be good to go. I'd be more worried about an airbag or compressor failure on the trail but there are clear warning signs of both problems.

michel

Observer
That is pretty amazing. I'll assume they upgraded the drivetrain and coupled with the traction control gizmos, they succesfully laid that issue to rest.

Went to the city today and took a hse 2011 for a test drive. Wedging my gde classic between an aston and a bentley I barely had time to get out before I had an offer on her, funny bunch down there. Pretty stark contrast driving mine and this one back to back. They managed to make at 5K truck drive like a car, only feel the weight when hitting the brakes hard at 80, and it still stops on a dime. First problem I see is damn speeding tickets again, got used to 60-70 max on the old disco and classic. Really smooth engine and drivetrain, nice torque, great passing power and hills are no issues.

A few things I'm not 100% with. Visibility is not as good, pillars got wider and the back seat head restraints get in the way, at least they can be removed when no one is back there. Still better than any other modern suv and even the disco. No more space on the front dash to put things on, i'll miss that too. Seat comfort, funny enough is about the same, the arm rest got skinnier, but they added some cushion for the elbow on the door side. Load capacity went down by 400lbs or so, that surprised me a bit.

I liked that going from one to the other I still feel at home, sure it's upgraded a **** load but the basics are still the same. Driving home in my classic I was just as happy. The offroad will likely be weird at first though, but look forward to that too.

Overall for the family and next decade or so it will do nicely. Now just need to find one.

RangeBrover, I'm in canada-bc, what are the warrenty cross border rules? Around here the one I test drove today is the only white late model RR period and it did not have the set of features I would want. If I can expand my looking down south I would have more luck.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Land Rover's warranty is internationally recognized at any authorized Land Rover dealer, you shouldn't have a problem getting warranty issues taken care of between the US and Canada. If you want more info check out RangeRovers.net, there is a large international community there and they will have more information for you.

On a side note when I was visting Canada I had a warranty issue taken care of in my 08 Range Rover and they didn't bat an eye.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
The Land Rover warranty (CPO included) is underwritten by Land Rover North America and will be honored in the US and Canada only.

RangeBrover

Explorer
The Land Rover warranty (CPO included) is underwritten by Land Rover North America and will be honored in the US and Canada only.

Incorrect, I contacted Land Rover NA last year requesting information on warranty service while abroad and this is what they sent me.

Warranty cover when touring

Land Rover has a comprehensive service network in most parts of the world. Any Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer can carry out repairs under the Land Rover Warranty. Under normal circumstances, you should not be required to pay for any warranty work at the time it is performed by a Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer.

When touring, it is your responsibility to produce the service portfolio issued with your vehicle (which establishes your right to warranty coverage and the relevant maintenance and service materials). If you are unable do so, the Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer should seek advice from Land Rover or the local importer or national sales company.

Under exceptional circumstances, you may be asked to pay for repairs that are in fact covered by the Land Rover warranty. If so, you should retain the invoice and, where practical, any replaced parts so that upon your return home your local Land Rover dealer/Authorised Repairer can arrange for prompt reimbursement as appropriate

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
That is pretty amazing. I'll assume they upgraded the drivetrain and coupled with the traction control gizmos, they succesfully laid that issue to rest.
There wasn't a need to upgrade the drive train in general - the issue was simply a poor design on the front dirveshaft and diff coupling. This was redesigned and the older vehicles got the later design installed as part of a recall. The only time you need to worry about this issue is if you are looking into buying an older L322 - then you need to make sure it has had the recall work performed as LR is no longer performing the work FOC (at least here in Europe they aren't).

I am absolutely in love with the L322. As you said, it drives like a car on road and it is incredibly capable off. And, comfort wise, it is unparalleled. We are in the process of looking for our second L322. I am relatively sure it will be a TDV8. Our present TD6 will remain as a travel vehicle.

rrortires.jpg

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Incorrect, I contacted Land Rover NA last year requesting information on warranty service while abroad and this is what they sent me....

I have some conflicting information then. I contacted JLRNA a few months ago inquiring about warranty coverage in Costa Rica specifically and was told that the LRNA warranty would not be applicable. I will use my channels to get some clarification.

EDIT- According to JLRNA, the warranty will be valid at any authorized Land Rover dealer worldwide so long as they are listed as a retailer on landrover.com

They have had some problems recently with the warranty not being honored some places. If this happens, contact LR Customer Relations directly and they will have the Warranty Department resolve the issue internally.

Last edited:

michel

Observer
done deal

just to give you guy's an update,finally found one a few day's ago and took it home today. Ended up with a 2011 hse lux with a long list of options, basically new (16K), non supercharged. Now I gotta say, this thing is something. got it parked besides the classic and what a contrast it makes.

Found that i can get the original expedition roof rack for it, and it's now wired for trailerring the bikes and stuff, so good to go on that end. The only thing I can't get easily is a damn winch. I guess the only option to get out of a mud bog situation is gonna be ladders and inflation/lifting device. I'll need to work on that, last time I didn't have a winch off road was back in the 90's when the disco was stock.

Keeping in mind this one is for longer distance remote stuff, not offroading hard trails for fun (still keeping the classic all setup for that), and I lack some of the shall we say normal filters that normal people seem to have that say's you should probably not go there...what's the options for self recovery on that beast you found to work we'll?

michel

RangeBrover

Explorer
If you don't mind cutting up the front bumper a little I believe the winch mount for the pre 2010 L322's will work with your model. I find the winch mounts of ebay pretty often at reasonable prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan