Camping Gear for the Casual Family Campers

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
Neat! Are these just generic canvas ice bags and wok? Or are there particular brands you like?

Heavy canvas double-loop handle ice bags that the marine supply and canvas shops sell; we bought ours close to 30 years ago from a woman who made them and sold them herself at boat shows, they are all still functional. The only thing is get bags really designed for heavy-duty use and not the thin, cheap imitations you sometimes see in online stores. The real ones are heavy cotton canvas and run the webbing in a continuous sewn-on loop run around the bottom of the bag and sides, leaving the top loops protruding as handles, so they can take serious weight.

My wok is about 20 years old, too, and is a carbon steel Taylor and Ng 14" round-bottomed model with wooden handles.

Here's an example of the ice bags (but don't buy them from a sailmaker, too pricey!) :)

http://www.hardingsails.com/bags.php

Honu

lost on the mainland
depending on the client ? rich or not :)

there was a thread a while ago on this system form Europe that went in the back of cars or small SUVs that folded out and did all kinda cool stuff but it was expensive !
but the idea was really cool not sure if some remember what I am talking about ? came in red and a few other colors plywood construction but laminated surfaces
ended up being a table setup kitchen setup storage and sleeping platform

again just to get the wheels spinning what is cool or not :)

some once or twice urban types might be broken into markets of $$$ who can afford the high end or the rest of us

for lunch made our family french toast :) so got my camp cast iron griddle put it on our stove :) I also use a lot of my camp stuff at home and setup my IGT stuff sometimes at home to cook with also

I dont like house hold post and pans as much ? did when I had the trailer but now I use a nested kit for pots reason being take up to much room with handles and such but this also shows the wide range of what people use and dont use

Amy H

Observer
"there was a thread a while ago on this system form Europe that went in the back of cars or small SUVs that folded out and did all kinda cool stuff but it was expensive !
but the idea was really cool not sure if some remember what I am talking about ? came in red and a few other colors plywood construction but laminated surfaces
ended up being a table setup kitchen setup storage and sleeping platform"

It was called the Swiss Room Box...super pricey... like 5k US dollars.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Oh yes I remember that video of the Swiss Room Box...the one with the shower scene?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cy3gKwirLk

LOL, I think a product like this is a bit off topic for a casual family camp set up.

How about Turbo Tents? Decent quality, set up fast, look a bit like department store tents, but much better quality. I have my doubts on the adequacies of their rain flies, but others here on this forum swear by them. http://turbotent.com/turbotent/models.html

Honu

lost on the mainland
thats why I said depending on the client :) rich or not
some wealthy city folk who has one car and cant have another camper because of space etc..

its a cool concept that makes you think though :) and gets the brain turning on ideas of how it all goes together and works together :)

Last edited:

jeywalk

Uniflame japan not uniflame USA

Thanks for the pointer. Is Uniflame Japan available in USA/Canada? I quite like their aluminium nesting cookware/bowls.

Couldn't find the stainless sink with nesting strainer and cutting board you mentioned, but it sounds quite interesting! Do you a link / picture?

Honu

lost on the mainland
Thanks for the pointer. Is Uniflame Japan available in USA/Canada? I quite like their aluminium nesting cookware/bowls.

Couldn't find the stainless sink with nesting strainer and cutting board you mentioned, but it sounds quite interesting! Do you a link / picture?

www.uniflame.co.jp

this is the sink setup simple but nice
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/axiasports/item/jan4989083662557/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en
img58542849.jpg

also like there small table
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/axiasports/item/jan4989083682104/?s-id=borderless_browsehist_en
unif_uc04_2.jpg

here is something I also wish we could get here :)
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/axiasports/item/jan0076501232684/
some pics of where I have seen them from some blogs in Korea and Japan
for me with kids and stuff I think these would be cool :) place to rest your feet cook stuff set a plate for smores

크기변환_p4251979_hongddals.jpg

크기변환_크기변환_p4101813_hongddals.jpg

Last edited:

jeywalk

Honu

lost on the mainland
I dont have that sink I want one :)
someone forgot who posted they use a commercial chaffing dish and can boil water for cleaning in it
saw some at the commercial costco that were deep and good enough size to get a plate into :) great idea

we use a coleman hot water on demand most the time which is a nice luxury :)

yeah coleman has a lot of stuff in other countries that is heaps better quality and design than here in the USA ? strange how that works out and I have contacted them and wont help one bit bring other things in

buckshot500

Observer
If a family is going backpacking, they are going to want to do plenty of research on the subject. Being isolated like that has it's rewards and dangers. The gear needed is certainly going to be lightweight.

Car camping is probably more suited to most families who only camp occasionally. First on the gear list would be a 2 burner stove, like the Coleman.
Propane is an option for these, but can be risky if the fuel hose connections aren't checked for leaks. I prefer Coleman fuel (Naptha). It seems safer to me.

This stove is a great investment. I have used mine on picnics, camping trips and at home when the power goes out. Our house uses an electric stove, so this is a lifesaver.

A good family sized tent is a must. I like to put a big blue tarp down under it, to protect the floor. I also put a really big green tarp above it, to keep most of the rain off of it. This tarp is big enough to also cover the picnic table and folding chairs. I use 2 part adjustable poles to hold the tarp up, along with para cord and tent pegs.

My best advice on tents; never bring ANY food inside them.

A lantern that runs on Coleman fuel can be nice to have as well.

fireball

Explorer
If we don't match the description of the thread title, then noone does!

Been raiding the kitchen on our first few trips for cooking gear and now looking at getting a specific camping set. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? http://www.rei.com/product/830776/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-camper-cookset

Are there better options out there at a similar price? My wife and I, our two kids age 10 and 12. We have a dog too, which is worth mentioning as his spectacular plate/pot/skillet licking ability makes dish washing at the end of the evening much easier!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle