1977 Pop Up Camper Rebuild

TheThom

Adventurer
Awesome build Thom, makes mine look like a weekend project. Almost done, can't wait to see the final result.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been working on this thing so long I won't know what to do with myself once it's done. This is a weekend project - a LOT of weekends.....

TheThom

Adventurer
Long Post Warning:

Big Big Day on the camper! I had a buddy come over and attach the roof. I plan to rebuild the roof next off season and I'll use the old one this season. Then I took it for a spin around the block. This thing hadn't been towed since September of 2011!

Looks pretty good behind the XJ. I took the water can's and propane tanks off because I don't have the straps to secure them yet. Towed OK. I need to get the brake controller installed. Didn't break 30MPH so we'll see how the highway goes.

Mark, if you say anything about matching wheels and pain, I will fly to Pa and ********** you upside the head :ylsmoke:

Then we popped it up and put the canvas on. I LOVE the way it turned out with the new canvas

I had some problems with the telescoping extending poles over the bunkend. This piece of hardware is 36 years old. I either need to get them fixed, get new ones or come up with a different solution. I'm open to ideas

Some interior pics

My two and a half year old son LOVED it! He kept yelling "I camping, I camping"

And a quick plug for Bear Creek Canvas

I need to work on some fit issues around the door, install the ceiling latches and I have some work to do on the awning.

But I'll leave you with a before and after

Before

After

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
You have done a fantastic job with this Thom, very impressive, looks fantastic. It appears you have one very satisfied customer there on the bunk. Hope you have as much fun with it as we have had watching it develop. Great job.

Bob

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
It turned out great.
Thanks for allowing us to tage along on the build.....Now get the family out and camp!
More shots when you have camp set up and enjoying all your hard work.

Last edited:

indiedog

Adventurer
That's just a great outcome Thom. Well done. I am considering building a pop up from scratch and have watched your thread with interest. Thanks very much for sharing.

And nothing better than seeing the family enjoying your work, best times and greatest satisfaction yet to come.

Indie.

TheThom

Adventurer
Well, it rained here most of the holiday weekend and since I won't have time to let the canvas air out and dry, I collapsed it all before the weather turned. I did have time to tweak my awning. I'm copying an idea from Jim65wagon. I bought a large tan tarp from this site The local upholsterer actually had the same fabric because it's what she uses to make dump truck covers. She sewed the keder welt that let it run through the sail channel on my roof. She also sewed a pocket in each corner for a tent pole. I bought tent poles from this site.

I had to trim about 6 inches off the pole, but it should work OK. The outer edges are supported by extending tent poles.

Here are some pics of the set-up with the camper collapsed. It's worth noting that those poles extend up to 8 feet or so.

The awning is 8' wide and extends 10' out. Total cost was ~$200 with over half of that being the upholsterer's fee.

If you look at the top of this pic, you can see what it looks like when it's collapsed in it's cylinder

And now we have 30MPH winds and rain. Gotta love island life in the PNW.....

Septu

Explorer
Looks fantastic!! What a difference from the before and after!

Question. How much more weight did you add to it when rebuilding it?

TheThom

Adventurer
Looks fantastic!! What a difference from the before and after!

Question. How much more weight did you add to it when rebuilding it?

Don't know yet. I need to get it weighed after I register it. I'm kind of scared to find out.... Also, I think when I rebuild the roof I'll shed some weight. Currently the side walls are made of some kind of plastic resin that's really heavy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman