Adult w/ vehicle ADD- Excursion vs 3/4T '88 Burb- need an intervention pls!!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Greetings!! Some of you know me, most not very likely. Been wheeling/camping/exploring 40+ years- Central America via motorcycle, Newfoundland via Avalanche w/ GM bed tent as a little back ground examples. I have done the rock crawling deal with a built D-90 and a TJ on 40's w/ coilovers and custom axles. Now, mostly travels, preferably backroads and logging/forrest service roads. Enjoy camping, but as a means, not an end. Also, restore Special Vehicles and Defender Land Rovers as a business, but educated as a Civil Engineer turned RN - more ADD tendencies I suppose. We average a coast to coast trip 1 to 2x/year. Have a 23 yo, and a 7 & 9 yo- mostly travel with 4 total. So, all that said, I have a decent built '00 Excursion- 4" lift, 35" Toyo A/T-II, 10k winch, bumper, skid, etc, etc w/ 120k on the 6.8, which I love. I also keep a nice D-I, '99 w/ 84k miles, locked, minimal lift w/ 255/85s and a bit of trimming- good wheeler, comfortable traveler, but a little cramped for long trips. We do things like assist Sea Turtle Preservation Society with nesting and release of Loggerhead turtles in Fl, etc. Lastly, have a '76 K30 4x4 with a built Caddy big block- fun rig, used regularly for around town errands consistent with a couple hundred acre farm...
Now, I just acquired a '88 2500 Suburban w/ 68k miles from Ca- runs great, no real issues, well equipped w/ options, and well maintained- garaged with original non cracked dash!! Considering a couple thoughts- cut off the rear portion to add a Blazer rear section with removable top- can be used as a p/u in that mode, or top off for fun, or fit a Phoenix popup camper ($12k, Ouch!!). Initially loved the camper idea, but the cost is a bit much IMHO. So, could still do the Blazer rear, or not. Do a nice 3-4" ORD lift, 34s or 35s, drive and enjoy. Or, take the D60 front axle from the K30, and the rear 14Bolt (Detroit) so gears match, add to the 'burb, and put the 'burb stuff on the K30. Even considered doing same with the motor, but the big block is waaaay too thirsty for trips, though tons of fun ;-)

We are also looking at the SylvanSport camper/trailer, http://go.sylvansport.com and sell off everything except the 'burb or Excursion- hence this thread. I need a tow vehicle for the Rovers, and like the ability to sleep in the back, for which both work. Fuel mileage is similar, age is a mild difference, but who cares. Total miles are half on the 'burb vs. Excursion. The light trailer is a big help to get all the camping gear under one roof so to speak, and be ready at a moments notice. We keep the Engel in the X for trips or just DD, as well as extensive tools, recovery gear, etc- (Eagle Scout too). While I enjoy all the trucks, I am getting a bit tired of keeping them all up, and having each to fill a specific niche- ready for the Swiss Army Knife version.

And, we are looking at a couple big trips the next couple years- Newfoundland via Labrador Hwy, Alaska, and hopefully a run down to Guatemala/Mexico for the Monarch migration. Need a simple large flexible travel rig- also we tote kayaks, boards, bikes, etc. If you have kept with me this far, I appreciate any thoughts/comments. I am leaning towards doing the axle swap, and keeping the 'burb as it mitigates most potential issues, and how can one beat a SBC for reliability?!
Thanks, and look forward to where this goes...

Pics added below ;-)

Last edited:

88sport

I think that you're going to find that the suburban is going to be a better option. I'm assuming you have the 350csb in that since you stated that the big block would suck too much gas. The 350csb has been a staple for Chevrolet for years and years and therefore there is a huge aftermarket supply to modify it however you please. Also, with it being a V8 as opposed to the V10 you have in the excursion, you have less to go wrong because of less moving parts. I also think that the suburban will be one of those "classics" that will have many different manufacturers producing replacement and resto-modded parts for years to come.

Plus, who doesn't want to pretend to be Pierce Brosnan in Dante's Peak with that awesome rig they had?

plumber mike

Adventurer
The suburban. Cheaper parts. Easier to work on......and a whole lot cooler.

I would also think the sub would get better fuel mileage as well.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Excursion is the way to go for one .its done already you know it and its common on parts but not some thing you see every day.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Here are a few quick driveway shots of the Excursion- Limited, rear a/c, heated seats, etc . 4" BDS w/ dual Fox shocks up front, Fox rears and steering stabilizer, Asfir winch bumper and skid, 10k# winch, 35" Toyos, Helwig antisway in rear, new updated headlights and everything base lined mechanically- new front hubs, fluids flushed, etc, etc:

DSC_0208.JPGDSC_0209.JPGDSC_0210.JPG

Then the Suburban, while a bit unfair as it just arrived. 350 injected, TH400, lockout hubs, 68k miles, all original and in excellent condition from Ca and always garaged. I don't mind building it in similar fashion, but certainly don't need both. Truthfully, would love to get down to one vehicle, but that would be a first in over 40 years!!

Image.jpgDSC_0211.JPG

and for grins and giggles, the '99 Disco- locked, lifted 2", skids, diff guards, custom F & R bumpers, 8274, HD Defender steering, etc, etc:

Attachments

• DSC_0213.JPG
    DSC_0213.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_0214.JPG
    DSC_0214.JPG
    326.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0215.JPG
    DSC_0215.JPG
    411.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0216.JPG
    DSC_0216.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0217.JPG
    DSC_0217.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Both the Excursion and the Suburban look to be perfectly capable of your proposed uses. But, I would cast a vote for the Suburban for the cheaper and easier to find parts, especially if you go South.

By the way, I am most jealous of the statement "We average a coast to coast trip 1 to 2x/year." I wish!

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Well after the pictures, the excursion is done. With the V10 you can pull a decent sized trailer if you decided to upgrade in the future. Once you put 35's on the Suburban, heavy bumpers, all your stuff, you're going to wish you had a big block in it. Also from a back seat perspective, the Excursion has Rear AC and Rear Heat. There is no way I'd want to be in the back of a fullsize without those options. And frankly the Chevy is 25years old. You'd be going through it replacing all the seals, hoses ect from drying out. Save yourself the time and use the Excursion and make someone very happy to buy the super clean Suburban. I'll bet you could sell it to an Expo member in no time.

Oh and don't hack the roof off that clean Suburban that would be a complete shame.

Anyway, best of luck deciding.
-jorge

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Just happen to have a correct vintage Warn winch bumper w/ 8274 for the 'burb too ;-)

I am leaning towards the 'burb for the obvious ease of parts availability- especially on the road, regardless of local. But the X does tow nicely w/ the 6.8- hence the initiation of this thread. I realize there will be concessions, but I am shipping more trucks and towing less these days- a big nod to the 'burb...

Usually a seat available for the CtoC trips 02TahoeMD ;-)

Thanks jorge- tending to agree on the 'chop', just too nice a truck to modify like that. But, the 'burb too has the rear A/C- forgot to mention...

BushHead

Adventurer
IMO the X is the more comfortable ride, and as far as parts the 6.8 is the same as the 5.4 and the 4.6 for the most part ( all modular, diff size) so parts should not be a problem. I love the X and have 1 so I'm biased. Just my $.02

Matt

bootlegger

Observer
Suburban all the way! Ditch the spark plugs for the super reliable Cummins 5.9.
(Excursion does look good though)
I'd love to have a Sub of that era in that condition.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Ha ha ha ha Should have setup a poll. One more thought, I feel like you will have to "tinker" less with the EX while on route with it. You may have little things pop up on both trucks but being as the EX is so much newer, you should have less.

My gut is the nostalgia of the older Suburban is roping you in. You seem very well versed in everything mechanical, build the burb, hold onto the EX while doing it and then do a head to head comparison at that point.

-jorge

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
A diesel would be great- likely do the 6.5 though to keep it GM, like a military crate motor- and would be a direct swap. Might get interesting ;-)

A poll would have been a great idea!!

As far as build/compare- the 'burb is likely worth more as is to most folks, so a lot of time/$$ to risk, but a good idea. Wish I was a writer, as that compare would likely sell to the offroad rags...

njtacoma

Explorer
I realize they made eleventy-billion square bodied trucks and suburbans, but they have made eleventy-billion superdutys so its not like parts are totally uncommon. Plus Ford made the leaf spring front end until a few years ago. which is a decade newer then the last leaf spring suburban.
My nod goes to the Excursion.

although it is a bit of a coin toss I like them both.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Excursion is already done. It's a known quantity. Don't give into the ADD! You would be so much better off financially just freshening up the X. Having said that... doing a full build on the Suburban would be cool. The 350 is just too small for what you use it for tho. Even a 6.5 swap may seen anemic when compared to the 6.8 V-10. A Cummins would make that rig unstoppable. Damn! Now you have me thinking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179