Vandetta

Toolman

Explorer
Man that is sweet!

Thanks. It's been fun building it and even more gratifying when I use it.
However as I discussed with Chris yesterday there's a few things that where in the original plans that will soon get done.
I need to cut entry into my back yard so I can get to the 2nd stage mods on the van. It's gonna be on jack stands for a bit.
The plan is to swap in a sterling with 488s and an ARB. This will then give me the confidence in the axle to handle the weight when I push the skinny pedal up a hill. Some more cabinets inside and an auxiliary fuel tank I figure another 35 gallons should do the trick. I'm really leaning toward an Atlas 2 transfer case and at that time I will make the skid plates for the trans and t-case. The aluminess bumpers and steps will be swapped out for a Vanaconda front bumper and I have some ideas for the spare tire carrier.
I've also been toying around with the idea of dovetailing the rear end for better clearance. I think this thing could go a lot further than I'm willing to take it right now. I'm done messing with the jeep for a bit other than using it so my attention will soon be back on the van.

DAV!D

Adventurer
I've been checking out your build and must say it's pretty nice set up. I've been looking at a "Black" E250 that is local to me, but I was pretty worried about the heat issue. I'm looking to use the van as a 4x4 camper, so I'm worried about it being black. I noticed you said yours wasn't too bad in the summer, but I'm curious how hot does it normally get where you are?

Toolman

Explorer
Thank you DAVID.
It stays in the 80's usually we get some heat spells into the upper 90's and rarely but sometimes in late August into the 100's. I mostly use it for camping in the spring, fall, and winter. The summer is usually spent on the coast @ Oceano Dunes or in the forest at a lake. I stay away from the desert in the summer. I would look for an E350. The black is enticing however I'd hold out for the E350 of your dreams. You won't regret being patient.

Where do you plan on using it ?

DAV!D

Adventurer
I'm going to be using it this summer up in New England, so the heat isn't too bad here but after that I plan to hit the road and travel around the country. I have family in FL, so I'm sure I'll be stopping by there from time to time, but if I can help it, it wont be during the summer. I plan to spend a decent amount of time traveling around out west.

I probably wont do the 4x4 conversion right off the bat. I'd do it where I have access to a nice shop down in FL. I'm also most likely going to keep it on the tame side and not go with a crazy lift or really big tires. I'd like it to be functional but still somewhat affordable to drive.

As far as the E250 vs E350 is there a difference in more than just the suspension? (ie did they use different transmission or something or is it just for the better rear end and so on?)

Last edited:

Toolman

Explorer
I'm sure there are full threads on the matter but to my simple understanding is that it has to do with the GVW of the vehicle and it being over it legal weight capacity. Chris will clarify if there are chassis differences but I don't think so. I believe it's mostly weight capacity which if you plan to change axles, springs etc. then you should be fine.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
250's and 350's are the same as far as the 4x4 conversion goes, the difference is in the engine options.

Toolman

Explorer
what about payload ? Or GVW is that the same ? between the two models E250 and E350 ? from the factory are they same axles, leaf springs, etc ?

Toolman

Explorer
Thanks guys if you have any questions for me I'll be happy to answer them for you. After moving and getting married I have some time to get back to work on it. The TJ is at a stand still until the sterling goes in the van. Which means it's time for the yunk jard trip and I'm working on some door storage.

Toolman

Explorer
Putting out a feeler to see if there is any interest in Vandetta. I hate to see it sit and I know someone will get the enjoyment from it that do.

Silly question.

But what do you guys think I should sell it for ?

Last edited:

bdog1

Adventurer
Wow! Followed this build from the start. It's a great truck! I'm sure someone will be interested. But, sorry to see you move on. Your projects are all impressive!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12