subcompact crossovers, AWD available
wheelbase WB 100 - 104 inches
overall length OL 160-170 inches
-------------------------------------------

nissanjuke1.jpg

Nissan Juke S AWD
MSRP starts at $21,000
100 in WB, 164 in OL
base 1.6L turbo gas engine (188 hp, 177 ft lb)
continuously variable transmission
curb weight 3172 lb
EPA 25 city, 30 highway
cargo volume behind 2nd row 10.5 cu ft
cargo volume, 2nd row folded 35.9 cu ft

comment: smallest of these four, "urban hipster" appeal

buickencore2.jpg

Buick Encore AWD
MSRP starts at $25,700
100 in WB, 168 in OL
1.4L turbo gas engine (138 hp, 148 ft lb)
curb weight 3309 lb
6 speed automatic
EPA 23 city, 30 highway
cargo volume behind 2nd row 18.5 cu ft
cargo volume, 2nd row folded 48.4 cu ft

comment: elegant, luxurious interior, largest cargo space

jeeprenegade1.jpg

Jeep Renegade
MSRP ?
101 in WB, 167 in OL
base engine 1.4L turbo gas (160hp, 170 ft lb)
9 speed automatic
curb weight ?
EPA ?
cargo volume 12.4 cu ft
cargo volume, 2nd row folded 30.7 ? 40.2? cu ft (I've seen both figures in published reports)

comment: not pretty, but distinctive style; best ground clearance, low range available

MINICountrymanall42.jpg

Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 (102 in WB, 162 in OL)
MSRP starts at $27,400
102 in WB, 162 OL
base engine 1.6L turbo gas (181 hp, 177 ft lb)
6 speed manual transmission
curb weight 3208 lb
EPA 25 city, 31 highway
cargo volume 16.5 cu ft
cargo volume, 2nd row folded 42.2 cu ft

comment: marketed to "active lifestyle," racing success, BMW handling

haven

Expedition Leader
For comparison, here are a few vehicles that are smaller than the Renegade

smaller than subcompact
wheelbase < 100 in
overall length < 165 in

Jeep Wrangler 2 door (95 in WB, 164 in OL)

Toyota RAV4 1st gen (1994-2000) (95 in WB, 164 in OL)

Suzuki Grand Vitara (96 in WB, 160 in OL)

And now some larger competitors
compact crossovers
wheelbase 105 - 110 inches
overall length 170 - 185 inches

VW Tiguan (103 in WB, 175 in OL)

Honda CR-V (103 in WB, 178 in OL)

Hyundai Tucson (104 in WB, 174 in OL)

Subaru XV Crosstrek (104 in WB, 175 in OL)

Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (105 in WB, 169 in OL)

Toyota RAV4 (105 in WB, 180 in OL)

Nissan Rogue (106 in WB, 182 in OL)

Jeep Cherokee (106 in WB, 182 in OL)

Ford Escape (106 in WB, 178 in OL)

haven

Expedition Leader
Physical dimensions aren't the only criteria people use when purchasing a vehicle, of course. Price, style, and reputation are important.

Jeep has not yet announced the price of the new Renegade. The least expensive AWD utility vehicle in USA today is the Subaru Impreza wagon, which starts at $18,400. The crossover category is more expensive. The Nissan Juke S with AWD starts at $21,000. The Subaru XV Crosstrek and Forester start at $22,000. The Jeep Cherokee Sport with AWD starts at $25,000.

So I'd expect the Renegade with 1.4L turbo motor, 9 speed automatic and AWD to be priced around $23,000.

The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with 2.4L gas engine, 9 speed auto and low range starts at $30,500. I expect the Renegade Trailhawk with similar drivetrain to start at $29,000.

The Renegade is not as attractive as the Buick Encore or MINI Countryman. But compared to its competitors, it has a distinct, rugged style that should appeal to lots of buyers.

The MINI Countryman has a racing pedigree (Dakar Rally winner for the last three years, for example). The Renegade has to depend on some caché rubbing off from earlier Jeep models.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I guess I'm interested in knowing where the Renegade fits in with the Patriot and the Compass. Are the later models being discontinued? Can't say I'm real interested in any of these three vehicles but its still interesting I guess.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
My wife is from South America and her family has had its share of FIATs. We have a FIAT.
I wouldn't want one of those crossdressers but I could see her in one or maybe the Countryman. She likes the MINIs better anyhow...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
So it seems there is conflicting information out there about whether or not it actually has a low-range xfer case - with the 9 speed's gearing range it seems like its possible for it to get to the 20:1 "crawl" ratio without having the separate low range shifter. Wish it was available with a manual - but I suppose most people would choose the slush box version...

haven

Expedition Leader
I think Allpar.com has it right -- the 9 speed automatic has the option of adding a low range. The trans is essentially the same as that found in the new Cherokee. With low range engaged, first gear is 20:1.

I added photos and more information to the original post above.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
But the new cherokee has a crawk ratio of 56:1 as it has a real transfer case - so I think the renegade doesn't have a real low range - just uses lower diff ratios and the low first gear on the trailhawk version...

Too bad it doesn't match up to the Cherokee drivetrain wise - can't really get myself to like the cherokee while the renegade is somehow sort of appealing - for me its mostly the sunroof and more usable space inside (i.e taller?).

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If it has anything in common with the FIAT 500L, it will be roomy. I can't sit comfortably in a new Cherokee but the 500L is the most comfortable thing I ever tried on. I'm 6'5" and all leg though.

That's been one of the most confounding selection criteria of my life too. I have to fit. That's ruined many a purchase (damn you, Lotus...).

tarditi

Explorer
I see it as an answer to a question nobody was asking. That segment is cluttered and a bit fickle, and still maturing. Are compass sales so hot that they need something smaller because customers are saying how the current offerings are too large?

While this may be an OK tiny 4x4 it, at best, doesn't help and perhaps even hurts Jeep's image - they have too many offerings in the mall rated category, and lose touch with their roots that got them where they are (and keep them as a desirable brand). Jeep is becoming as relevant as Oldmobile.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
Don't forget about the Suzuki SX4 as a competitor. Granted, it's not available in North American as a new car anymore.

Andy

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I see it as an answer to a question nobody was asking. That segment is cluttered and a bit fickle, and still maturing. Are compass sales so hot that they need something smaller because customers are saying how the current offerings are too large?

While this may be an OK tiny 4x4 it, at best, doesn't help and perhaps even hurts Jeep's image - they have too many offerings in the mall rated category, and lose touch with their roots that got them where they are (and keep them as a desirable brand). Jeep is becoming as relevant as Oldmobile.

I would hardly say the b-segment AWD category is cluttered. There are only a few other offerings. And there are no offerings in this segment that allow you to buy a vehicle with a 101" wheelbase, AWD, and a manual transmission for under $30K. The Suzuki SX4 used to, but that car (and brand) is no longer for sale. So, in fact, this actually stands out to me.

With regards to Jeep's image, I don't think it hurts it at all. In fact, I think it'll help it, especially in the long run. Keep in mind, those of us that actually take our vehicles off the pavement are in the vast minority. The image that you can take a vehicle on an adventure is a heck of a selling proposition, and I think that's what Jeep's doing with every vehicle it sells, including the Renegade.

It just so happens that the Wrangler is a hell of a vehicle off road. Plus, the Wrangler is a bit of a halo vehicle. And for manufacturers to continue to sell halo vehicles, they often have to sell heaps of other non-halo vehicles in order to keep producing the vehicle that everyone looks up to. (Think Viper, Corvette, Subaru WRX, Nissan GT-R, etc. and how many Chrysler 200s, Subaru Foresters, Nissan Altimas, and such they need to sell to be able to offer low-volume niche vehicles.) Plus, it's advantageous for Jeep to add another vehicle. Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Cherokee sales are doing pretty well, although its Patriot/Compass are long in the tooth. It's time to add some freshness to the brand.

IMHO, the more people that can get into the Jeep brand, the more people may aspire to own something like a Wrangler—something that is truly capable of amazing off-road feats right out of the box. I suppose you could think of it as as a cradle-to-grave philosophy. Get them in with the Renegade, have them buy a Cherokee, and maybe a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78