Post up your drawer/storage system

SGTCap

Adventurer
My roll your own attempt failed miserably so I resorted to craigslist. Not my ideal setup but it was cheap and waterproof. The weight is problematic though.
hu9ydama.jpg
3u2eza5a.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

SGTCap

Adventurer
I'm going to live with it a while and see what I think. If the boxes stay I'll paint them black

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

fireball

Explorer
I'll call this 95% done :)

vyte2y6y.jpg

Still need to finish the wiring, decide if I want to stain it or paint it and then put a bunch of stuff in it!

qunuvaju.jpg

Built in two halves with the intent that DS will stay in all the time and house electronics. Right side will be removable if we want to use 3rd row seat. Three switches for camping light, inverter and possible fridge. Aux fuse panel on the driver side behind the OEM subwoofer cover. DS is 26" deep drawer, lock-out 100# slides with two 8" subs firing towards the backseat. PS is full 40" deep drawer with the super heavy duty 250# slides, dadoes for dividers and a tabletop that will sit in the open drawer.

yhahyju6.jpg

aperebes.jpg

t4rFL

Adventurer
what kind of wood/material does everyone use, especially the SUV ones. i want to build one for my Grand Cherokee...a sleeping/storage platform.

Bennettbf

Observer
what kind of wood/material does everyone use, especially the SUV ones. i want to build one for my Grand Cherokee...a sleeping/storage platform.
Baltic Birch.

Get something north of 7 plys. Also, there's a product out there that comes with a heavy coat of clear finish already on it - I used that for my drawer box and it's slick as hell. I don't know what it's called. Bottom line, don't go cheap on this project.

I used marine grade 1/2 plywood for the top, bottom and drawer bottoms. The verticle structure is 3/4 poplar in the box and drawers.

Once my main box is complete and installed I will post up a few pictures.

fireball

Explorer

Birch ply is the popular option. When I was down in Atlanta, baltic birch was readily available and relatively inexpensive but comes only in 5x5 sheets. Up here in PA I'm able to get a local supplier who has 11-ply birch in standard 4x8 sheets. That's what I used to build my system, and I'm really happy with it.

southpier

Expedition Leader
birch plywood (not "Baltic" or "Russian" birch) is pretty much a lumberyard (not bigbox) standard material in 4'x8' sizes. it comes as lumbercore or veneer core; choose the latter for better dimensional stability. the only downside (aside from both being interior grade wood products) is the thickness of the face/ birch veneer. from memory, it's 1/64" thin, so care needs to be taken not to sand through when finishing.

fireball

Explorer
Yes, you can get birch ply at the lumberyard but it will likely be 5 or 7 ply and not very good quality. I paid $69 a sheet for 11-ply birch from a local specialty supplier. Way better quality and only ~$20 more a sheet. Given the amount of time you'll spend building it, and the cost of other materials, an extra ~$50 on ply is a good investment. Especially if the success of your next camping cookout depends on it :)

nehaqagy.jpg

Ramjet

Explorer

I just bought that Yeti bottle opener last week to put on my drawer. Great minds think alike. Great job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12