Toroweap Rendezvous

ExpoMike

I could be interested. With all the time off I am taking in Sept, mid Oct. would be better but whatever you decide, post up details. :)

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
We could be interested and might fit our schedule. I was looking at that area a couple of weeks ago and planning a route to get there from the West.

bearman512

Adventurer
I will keep you posted Mike.
BEAR

Great!
I would like to get at least 5 rigs including mine.
We will most likely be arriving from the west as we will be in Vegas for my sons wedding that is yet to be set in stone and I hope to hear in the next couple weeks the exact day.

BEAR

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Susie and I are planning a trip to Chaco Canyon during the first week of October. We might be able to re-route for this trip. I need to check with her, of course.

FWIW, two of us stopped at the Toroweap overlook campground on the way to OX13 last year. The ranger came by and asked if we knew each other. When we said we did he asked us to leave as groups are not allowed to use the campground. He pointed out the sign we missed that said two campsites cannot be associated in any way (in ANY way, the sign is pretty humorous in including all possibilities of association). You also can't have more than one vehicle on a site. We annoyed him by staying as we were meeting a third vehicle there and didn't have a way to communicate a location change. So... if you're thinking of using that campground - the one just inside the park right at the north rim - practice saying you're there by yourself and just met those other people in very similar vehicles.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
From the sound of this so far none of us have ever met. We're good! "Honest Mr. Ranger, I've never met these people in my entire life".

bearman512

Adventurer
As for the Ranger he can suck it until the official National Park website changes.
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm

Tuweep Campground (Primitive)

Overnight use is ONLY allowed in Tuweep Campground. There are 9 primitive first-come first-serve sites for 1 to 6 people. A MAXIMUM of 2 vehicles, including motorcycles, is allowed. ONE campsite is allowed per group travelling/congregating together.
I say we take 3 sites!
BEAR

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
We'd be interested in driving out to the middle of nowhere and meeting some like minded, COMPLETE strangers. What are the odds?!? We'll monitor this thread.

bearman512

Adventurer
We'd be interested in driving out to the middle of nowhere and meeting some like minded, COMPLETE strangers. What are the odds?!? We'll monitor this thread.
Mr. Ranger sir, these people just showed up and how in the world would I know them I'm from Eastern New Mexico. :D

briansocal

Observer
As an FYI, there is one "Group Campsite" at Toroweap that requires reservations.

There is one PERMIT REQUIRED campsite in Tuweep Campground for groups of 7 to 11 people. A MAXIMUM of 4 vehicles, including motorcycles, is allowed. The group site may be reserved, free of charge, up to four months in advance submit an email request here. Please include the following in your email: name, address, phone, license plate, date(s) you are interested in, and organization name. (if applicable)

bearman512

Adventurer
As an FYI, there is one "Group Campsite" at Toroweap that requires reservations.
Thanks Brian, as soon as I get a firm commitment from folks going then I will reserve the site.
I think we hav 5 vehicles including mine and I just need to know when folks want to meet. Somewhere between 1-18 Oct.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
We will be heading towards Chaco Canyon the week of September 29th. We can make a detour for a day or so during that time if it works for you guys. We're coming from San Diego County. Sounds like fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12