Box Rocket Homemade trailer build.

Seanrcaldwell

We came back from out walk to make breakfast and my 40 year old Coleman white gas stove decided it had finally had enough and I couldn't keep any pressure in the fuel tank so I couldn't use the stove. So I pulled the grill off the stove and threw it over the fire since we'd be cooking over the fire for the trip.
_MG_4083.jpg

Bjornn and Zetta waiting for some bacon and sausage.
_MG_4084.jpg

After breakfast we just relaxed and hung out. The weather cooperated and the boys played cards with Michelle while I took a nap.
_MG_4087.jpg

Finn (our Welsh Corgi) had a good time too.
_MG_4089.jpg

As the day warmed up the flies began to show up. It didn't matter what bug spray we used, by early afternoon we were fed up with the flies in this camping spot. Liam also began to suffer from severe allergies. Must have been all the sage since we haven't spent much time in the desert with him before and had no idea it would bother him. So we packed up and headed out.

Michelle and Zetta helping us get packed.
_MG_4092.jpg

Finally all loaded back up and ready to head out. Michelle got me that Coleman cooler on the front of the trailer last week. I built a rack for it the night before we left and it worked great other than the latch is a bit weak.
_MG_4094.jpg

nice build man! i just have a few questions. where did you get that handle for your CO2 tank? I'm looking for one from my nitrogen tank I'm using for onboard air. and how do u like the coleman cooler?

Box Rocket

nice build man! i just have a few questions. where did you get that handle for your CO2 tank? I'm looking for one from my nitrogen tank I'm using for onboard air. and how do u like the coleman cooler?

The coleman cooler has been good. It's great for what it is although I utilize my ARB fridge almost exclusively for cold things now and the coolers get used for dry items.

The tank handle was one I got probably 12 years ago from a company called The Source. Honestly I'm not even sure they're still around.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
Solid build! I had the same ideas before I saw your build and what a difference photos make for me to continue my M100 build, well done!

How much would you guess you had in the tent platform/struts portion of the build?
I'm planning on doing that as well, but have to accommodate two sit-on-top kayaks that I may have to store under the tent platform.

Box Rocket

Solid build! I had the same ideas before I saw your build and what a difference photos make for me to continue my M100 build, well done!

How much would you guess you had in the tent platform/struts portion of the build?
I'm planning on doing that as well, but have to accommodate two sit-on-top kayaks that I may have to store under the tent platform.

The tent rack probably cost me $50 in material and another $80 for the struts.

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Nice video. It really shows how well you trailer tacks behind your TV. Nice looking trail too...

One question though. I haven't seen anyone (you included) building a stone deflector for the front of your trailers. Here in Oz if you don't have one then the front of your trailer gets sandblasted and stripped pretty quick. Especially at the speed you were doing. Putting a fridge or a cooler or a gas bottle or jerry can on the front protected is a recipe for disaster too as they just get smashed to pieces.

I can understand not having one for the slow speed rock trail driving a lot of you in the US do because of your smaller trailers. Most of the Aussie stuff is high speed touring which is when it becomes a problem. The stone guards tend to be angled forward so stones are deflected down so they don't bounce off and smash the rear window of your truck too. This is a pretty common problem if you don't have one. Just curious...

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...BHMXykAWXnoHgCA&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1746&bih=861

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
Your trailer tracks and rides super great! I saw very little bouncing at any of the speeds/conditions. Also subscribed to your tube account :coffee:

Box Rocket

Nice video. It really shows how well you trailer tacks behind your TV. Nice looking trail too...

One question though. I haven't seen anyone (you included) building a stone deflector for the front of your trailers. Here in Oz if you don't have one then the front of your trailer gets sandblasted and stripped pretty quick. Especially at the speed you were doing. Putting a fridge or a cooler or a gas bottle or jerry can on the front protected is a recipe for disaster too as they just get smashed to pieces.

I can understand not having one for the slow speed rock trail driving a lot of you in the US do because of your smaller trailers. Most of the Aussie stuff is high speed touring which is when it becomes a problem. The stone guards tend to be angled forward so stones are deflected down so they don't bounce off and smash the rear window of your truck too. This is a pretty common problem if you don't have one. Just curious...

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...BHMXykAWXnoHgCA&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1746&bih=861

Good point. You're absolutely right. If you look back through my build you'll notice the fenders started out white. After the first long high-speed trip the front of the fenders were badly chipped. That's the reason they were resprayed with bedliner. They've been holding up pretty well since then but are still getting a few chips. As for the front of the trailer, I had my two water cans mounted across the front for a long time and they protected the front of the trailer pretty well, but since moving them to the sides, I'm definitely getting more chips on the front of the trailer. I've been looking at different options for a stone deflector. The one I'm considering is a fabric one that attaches with elastic ties to the back of the truck and to the front of the trailer just below the tongue. The elastic ties allow full movement of the trailer and keep all rocks and stones below the tongue. Got the idea from the Aussie built UEV 440.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvfDTaUVAo

Your trailer tracks and rides super great! I saw very little bouncing at any of the speeds/conditions. Also subscribed to your tube account :coffee:

Thanks. That was one of the reasons I posted the video. People are generally quick to dismiss the use of the short/stiff trailer leaf springs like I have on my trailer. Personally, I don't think a trailer needs lots of suspension travel, just enough to cushion fragile items in the trailer and minimize metal fatigue etc on the trailer. I think the trailer springs on my trailer have worked out extremely well. You need to use the tires to help with a bit of cushion as well. I generally run the trailer tires at 12-15psi. The trailer is so light that the low pressure doesn't hurt the tires and they don't heat up on long highway stretches, but the softer pressure makes a huge difference in soaking up the sharp hits of bigger stones on the tracks and the corrugated roads.

I'm not going to argue the potential benefits of trailing arms and airbags for trailer suspension, but if you're building a trailer on a budget you can use the trailer leaf springs for very low cost and have it work extremely well. I think my video shows that it still tracks and rides nicely. We were moving fast enough that I was sure the trailer would get airborne a few times but the suspension still kept it planted. Not bad if you ask me.

java

Expedition Leader
That rides amazing. Still one of my favorite trailers. Mine was more or less modeled after it.

Do you remember the capacity of the springs you used? My trailer axle guy was able to find some that were just over 29" long and 500lbs ea

Box Rocket

My springs came as part of a "package" with the 3500# axle. I got the axle, and spring kit (leaves, hangers, shackles) for $115. So whatever the standard is for a 3500# axle.

Box Rocket

One other little tidbit for anyone following this thread and building a trailer. I have started selling Tepui RTT's and products. let me know if I can help you out with a tent or anything else from Tepui for your truck or trailer project.

leighracer

OK, I'm a n00b to the whole Expedtion Trailer world so if this is a stupid question my apologies in advance. What do you need a C02 tank for while out camping? Btw, nice build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78