07 tundra build

TEC3

Adventurer
I am in the process of building an 07 tundra for overlanding/ offroading. It will see equal hwy time as well as trail time so it has to be street able. I have a 95 YJ for really tough stuff.

Currently set up like this:
07 tundra 5.7l A-trac open diffs.
2" leveling kit.
Fab Four winch mount( rough on the BOA)
Body armor rock sliders( mounting this week)
Tepui tent on cab with camper shell on rear. Has to sleep 6 for the family.
Michelin LTX AT2's

I am wondering what are the real capabilities of this truck? Is it worth my time and money(2500) to invest in ARB lockers front and rear?
I am not rock crawling, just trails for trips in the south eastern United States.

What mods are needed? I already camp out of it plenty, just not offroad camp.

Greenyota

Observer
I think a second gen tundra like yours would be perfect with leveling kit (maybe bilstein 5100s) and some matching rear shocks, an AAL out back to counter the camper shell and tent, and definitely 35 inch tires. If you want you could do a ARB air locker in the back, or some aftermarket UCAs. You already have the sliders and winch mount so your armor is pretty advanced already. Looking forward to how this build comes along!

TEC3

Adventurer
Thanks Greenyota,

What part of TN you from? Any good suggestions for UCA's?
Here is a photo from work today, not the best but it give an idea of where I am at. I have never wheeled anything IFS or long wheel base so I am sure there will be a learning curve.
photo-13.jpg

TEC3

Adventurer
I have really liked them so far. We live on a farm and I drive all over it with them with no issue. This winter I only had to use 4wd in the snow a few times on uphill sections because they maintained traction really well. Great on road manners too. This weekend is my first real trail time with them and I will gladly let you know. I have been impressed so far though.

Really pumped about this site and what it stands for. I spent years trashing jeeps in the woods, breaking things and always for really nothing. With 4 kids and a wife we spend a lot of time camping and now I can combine offroading and camping and I am not out to break/ go big. just get to the next awesome view or surprise around the corner.

TEC3

Adventurer
Does anyone here disconnect their sway bar while offloading? Never wheeled a IFS so I only assume it helps with articulation. It does with my jeep.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Welcome aboard...

TEC3,

You found the right place for good overlanding information. Love to see 2nd gen Tundras out there. Looking forward to your build.

Regards,

BWJ

TEC3

Adventurer
Thanks BWJ,

Looks like you have a pretty nice Tundra setup, got any pics? details? how does it travel off road? Any suggestions?

TEC3

Adventurer
Ok,

I am in Jefferson City just east of knoxville. We should connect and ride. I don't know to many people who are into over landing... more rock buggies and trail crawling.

Matador65

Weather proofing truck bed

Very nice looking Tundra, Tec3. Have you had any problems with water and dust getting into the truck bed when off-roading? If so, can you or anyone else following this thread talk about what products and methods you used to seal up the truck bed and tailgate?

Cheers!
Matador

TEC3

Adventurer
Hey Matador,

I had dust and water issues back in the fall when on any gravel or dirt roads. I finally went to a top shop and got the double rubber seal and since then I have not had issues at all with leaking. It was a little pricy but I live in my truck every weekend from March to October and it helped keep the kids sleeping area(the bed) clean and good to go.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Thanks BWJ,

Looks like you have a pretty nice Tundra setup, got any pics? details? how does it travel off road? Any suggestions?

Thanks! Here are some pics and a link to my build...
.​

.​

.​
.​
.​
I went to the Continental divide last year. The Truck did great. The Tundra's overall size narrows my choices as to where I can go, but I feel this platform is perfect for me and my family at this point. I do have an off-road trailer that I tow, and we are having a blast camping. With your wife and 4 kids, a trailer may be needed eventually. PM me if I can help you in anyway...
.​
Regards,
.​
BWJ

TEC3

Adventurer
That is pretty bad ***. Love the setup. I really like the front and rear bumpers. I would love to pick up an actual winch bumper eventually, the Fab 4 winch mount kills my approach angle. It is hard to justify paying over 1200 for a winch bumper. It seems everything for my tundra is double the price of things for my YJ. Sliders for my truck were 500+ but for my jeep it was 250ish.

I am also interested in a dual batt. setup. any thoughts? info? We camp a lot and I am trying to not kill my batt. Thought about going to a small generator.

FullTankHank

Adventurer
Hey TEC3, here is something to consider for your power source. I am making one of these myself at the moment.

Use a Battery case like this:
http://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-Trol...9996280&sr=8-1&keywords=minn+kota+battery+box

With and AGM group 24 battery like this:
http://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/upc-telecom/UB12750-45821.html

These should make a decent portable power source together, especially if you add an inverter later to run 120v stuff directly instead of 12v only.

Also, to seal your Tundra, you could try this:
http://www.amazon.com/Extang-1140-M...e=UTF8&qid=1400076519&sr=8-2&keywords=maxseal

I installed the maxseal on my Tundra last week, before a quick campout in the foothills out here, and it seemed to work quite well at keeping the dust and water out of my SnugTop Shell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179