UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
It's a good way to get a color change easily for much less than a real paint job. (roughly 1/3 the cost) It holds up really well and he can always do a color change or have it touched up/re sprayed if needed. If you look for imperfections you'll find them and the coating has a texture to it that gets sticky in the heat. Dirt likes to grab on too!

We ave another van going flat black right now but its at the body shop. It will be cool to have them both here at the same time for comparison. But like I said, paint is much more $$.

derjack

Adventurer
Next van on the lift will be this one! It's our 1st "DeHavier" job, ditching the poor performing coil sprung setup and going with our 6" kit along with some goodies. We've already made some mods to this rig so some of you may recognize it. Let the cutting & drilling begin!

10492486_806101429409087_1511172425954598284_n.jpg
Any initial thoughts about this type of 4x4?

I know you don't talk about the competition- and I respect this!

But maybe a hint why the customer wants to go a different route now? The 4x4 transition should be a relatively new job.

As far as I can imagine out of some YouTube videos is that the conversion is done with F350 1999(?)+ front end with coils? Including the F series arms (I don't know the correct English term. Meaning the connection from the axle to the frame).

My guess is: it should work at least better than the Quigley version, due to longer arms + more suspension travel (roughly 1").

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman

But maybe a hint why the customer wants to go a different route now? The 4x4 transition should be a relatively new job.

As far as I can imagine out of some YouTube videos is that the conversion is done with F350 1999(?)+ front end with coils? Including the F series arms (I don't know the correct English term. Meaning the connection from the axle to the frame).

My guess is: it should work at least better than the Quigley version, due to longer arms + more suspension travel (roughly 1").

Javier uses a 2005 (this is when they first used coils) on up F250/350 front axle with stock Radius Arms - very similar to QuadVan. Suspension travel is limited by axle to frame cross member interference in bump so "lift" is the only thing that provides more travel in any solid axle conversion whether Quigley, QuadVan, Coil Sprung or Leaf Sprung.

I've never meet Javier, though we are both in the San Diego area. We have put custom valved FOX shocks on his conversions for customers to improve handling and they have been very happy with their vans. His quality is not on par with QuadVan, Quigley, Ujoint... but for half the cost, it is not all that bad. I am sure they have improved over time as he has built more of them.

derjack

Adventurer
Javier uses a 2005 (this is when they first used coils) on up F250/350 front axle with stock Radius Arms - very similar to QuadVan. Suspension travel is limited by axle to frame cross member interference in bump so "lift" is the only thing that provides more travel in any solid axle conversion whether Quigley, QuadVan, Coil Sprung or Leaf Sprung.

I've never meet Javier, though we are both in the San Diego area. We have put custom valved FOX shocks on his conversions for customers to improve handling and they have been very happy with their vans. His quality is not on par with QuadVan, Quigley, Ujoint... but for half the cost, it is not all that bad. I am sure they have improved over time as he has built more of them.
Right, of course the later ones, from 2005 ;) , otherwise ujoint wouldn't use them for leafs. Thanks for that info. I don't want to go too offtopic here.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor

Like Baja said, for the price its not bad. Are there things we wouldn't do? Of course. I'll be posting some pics of the things we'll be doing. We worked on this van last year and once I took him for a ride in V5 he was sold on making the swap. The ride & handling was loose and disconnected like most coil sprung 4x4 vans I come across.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Here's a before/after on the rear brake lines, DeJavier van.

10444538_811748702177693_1232345544140530601_n.jpg

The 7.3 Belize van is ready for more work before heading south. We're done with what we're doing, leaving tomorrow!

10487591_811870205498876_2641406167182700337_n.jpg

V4's new fuel tank is mostly done, just a few fittings/etc to finish it up! 50+ gallon, the tank is made from 1/4" aluminum and the cradle is 3/16 steel. Nice final touch to the new fuel system.

10492554_811870732165490_5964833478738776300_n.jpg

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
That tank cradle is sweet! You should put some led's behind the "Ujoint" cutout. Did you make a plate for all the bolts coming down through the frame or are they studs welded to the frame?

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
That tank cradle is sweet! You should put some led's behind the "Ujoint" cutout. Did you make a plate for all the bolts coming down through the frame or are they studs welded to the frame?

Thanks! I thought about that, will see how the raw aluminum looks thru the holes. Should be at a good height to shine in cars headlights :)

The studs coming down have "tangs" on them to lock against the frame. We do the same thing for the fuel tanks so you don't have to try and get a wrench up there.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Updates updates. We're finishing up 2 builds and about to start another. Here we are prepping an FB001 for a Warn 16.5 and a Rigid 30" light bar.

10525711_813627961989767_4926471483141480717_n.jpg

Here's another before/after from the DeJavier conversion. Yuk, the way they did the brake lines….

281864_814001035285793_3420432942548373364_n.jpg

The formerly white/now black 5.4 van is getting the finishing touches. We took a stock rear bumper and added a pair of Rigid flush mount reverse lights, our OBA quick disconnect and the trailer plug. Then coated it!

10525795_814253305260566_2191115474762645868_n.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You guys should think about having a San Diego branch. Why?
Because all I want to say about these pictures of your work is...CLASSY.

gty_anchorman_16x9_1600.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12