Optima Battery Poll (NO DISCUSSION)

Is your Colorado or Mexican made Optima still running?

• Total voters

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The Poll is multiple choice. Choose carefully. I hope that I asked the right set of questions.

Okay, no comments/sniping/discussion/love/hate at all in this thread other than the following PLEASE:

For each battery:

1. I have -color- top battery (or batteries) (Yellow/Blue/Red)
  2. Installed in this year & month
  3. Manufactured in this month. If not sure post the code off of it as it can be decoded to reveal the year (see decoder below)
  4. Manufactured in: Mexico or Colorado
  5. Died in this many months (ZERO if it is still running)
Sample of what I am looking for but at a minimum where manufactured and how long it lasted

1. Blue top
  2. Installed 2011 November
  3. Manufactured 2011 October
  4. made in Mexico
  5. 5 months old

How to read the date code: first digit is the year, and the next 3 digits the Julian date. A date code of 4208 means it was made on the 208th day of 2004. This equates to July, 2004.

If you are a first time poster provide some pictures or something to make me believe that you are not a hanging chad..... :elkgrin: as I'd prefer to see Expo members who have been here for a while.

If you want to discuss Optima batteries go here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70580-Optima-Battery-Problems

Last edited:

ade_beer

It was a yellow top. It went to live at Sears after it died and I replaced it, so I don't have any pictures. I am ASSUMING it was made in Mexico. It came in a truck I bought, and I know the previous owner had built it up within the past 2 years. I didn't bother replace with an Optima since I didn't have the original receipt to warranty since it came in the truck. I had no need for it anyway as I pulled the stereo out after I bought the truck. New Diehard works nice though.

PS- Feel free to delete if this screws up scientific analysis as I can't PROVE it was a Mexico battery

PPS- I would get an Odyssey if I needed a nice battery

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
1. Two BlueTops
2. Installed 3/2011
3. Born 3/2011
4. Hecho en Mexico (ordered directly from factory)
5. 15 months in service and working perfectly

1. RedTop
2. Installed 12/2009
3. Born 11/2009
4. Hecho en Mexico (ordered directly from factory)
5. 31 months in service ---- in the Jeep I traded for the pw

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Just FYI. The new Optimas do not have a burn code.

Two Redtop and a Bluetop "Gilling Group" all older than sin (12+ years) and still working.

3 New Redtop, 7 Yellowtop and a Bluetop "Johnson Control" all junk cores less than three years old.

Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
One Yellow Top- Old as sin, had it in 4 different rigs. Gave up the ghost after 6+ years of abuse.

One Red Top- Made In Mexico- Used only as starting battery in '99 XJ, lasted less than 18 months. (No winch/other accessories)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Yes, but what I want to know is...how did those batteries make you feel?

Sorry couldn't resist. :D

I'll ask my dad and update this post. I only run interstate's, but I think he's running an optima in his westy.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I've had to dig a bit to get dates and may come back and edit for accuracy.

1. First Optima was a Yellow Top
  2. Installed Jan 2007
  3. Purchased Dec 2006
  4. Unknown where manufactured, possibly Colorado
  5. Replaced March 2009 with a Yellow Top (CostCo)

1. Second Optima was a Yellow Top
  2. Installed March 2009
  3. Purchased March 2009
  4. Made in ?
  5. Replaced Nov 2010 (CostCo)

1. Third Optima was a Blue Top
  2. Installed Nov 2010
  3. Purchased Nov 2010
  4. Made in Mexico
  5. Replaced Nov 2011 (independent seller)

1. Fourth Optima was a Blue Top
  2. Installed Nov 2011
  3. Purchased Nov 2011
  4. Made in Mexico
  5. Replaced March 2012

1. Fifth Optima is a warranteed Blue Top
  2. Installed March 2012
  3. Purchased March 2012
  4. Made in Mexico
  5. Still alive at this date because I have turned off the fridge and the battery is crusin'

Last edited:
I don't have the dates but I had a yellowtop that was replaced after 6 months and 2 times using the winch. Half the amps/cells were bad. Winch was connected to top post and there was no other signs of potential problems. Replacement is 9 months old and doing fine with 3 long pulls.

The only other time I've had a problem I went through 3 Yellowtops in a month due to a faulty regulator that was working intermittently in my Toyota. Apparently Optimas don't like extra voltage. Replacement was still working fine after 4 years when I sold it. It had also been left with a light on for three months and showed 6 volts but was fine after jumping it and letting it run for a few hours. 220Amp Mean Green alternator.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thanks to all for keeping out discussions. I appreciate all attempts to provide ownership duration information.

bfdiesel

Explorer
Red top made in 2003 bought from Cosco. Deeply discharged multiple times. Sat deeply discharged for who knows how long once as I was out to sea and didn't get to check it for about 8 months. Used to power a winch alone on my trailer, used as a starting battery for a couple of years, used to power a trolling motor, used the power an inverter, used as a jump start battery, just some of the things I remember using it for.

Last edited:

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Blue top purchased from American Battery in Temecula, CA in March/April, 2005. Can't see the top right now for date codes due to it's location but I'm sure of the date. Used for popup camper, charged off vehicle when running (no solar). Sits in the shed when the camper is off the truck, sometimes for several months. Still going strong.

Cliff

bugnout

Adventurer
1. RedTop1
2. OEM for 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
3. Replaced in Fall 2010 with another RedTop in prep for the Wisconsin winter.
4. I'll check to see where it was made when I get home
5. 5+ years in the vehicle about 90,000 miles.
Still have it, Still holds a charge, I keep it on the battery tender.

1. RedTop2
2. Bought in Fall of 2010, for said Jeep CRD
3. Still in the CRD
4. I'll check when I get home
5. 1.5 years and 25,000 miles no issues

65BAJA

Da Nu Guy
I've had 5 Optima batteries now. The first red top 800U I bought back in 1995 lasted 13 years. The second red top has now been in service since '08, so 6 years on that one. The yellow top G34 I bought in 06 or 07 only lasted 3 years. I also currently have two blue top G31 batteries. One mfg'd in '11 and one in '13. Both still charge up to 13.1V after an hour rest from charging. So except for that one yellow top I can't complain too much I'd say. :ylsmoke:

kpredator

Adventurer
optima

2 blue tops 5 or 6 years old.
used and abused in my john boat
still running the 80lb trolling motor great
kp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78