Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Dave I thought I remember you questioning ones decision to go aluminess, thinking the arb steel unit to be superior in a collision?

I still think steel is better in a collision overall. But the ARB weighs 175 lbs. As for Aluminess, I think they are lacking in the aesthetics dept. YMMV.

The APEX bumper is only 55 lbs, and nearly the same strength as steel, so the weight savings and the effect of that weight reduction on the drivetrain, and MPG impact, is significant.

Losing 100 lbs up front, in front of the tires, makes the truck handle better too.

austintaco

Explorer
I did't realize the weight difference was that substantial. I thought I would never give up my ARB, but if AP makes an aluminum version for the 1st gen, I would grab one up for the savings in weight.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Here's the deal: the APEX is on BUT... the truck is back at the Goose Gear skunkworks again for round two of the camper interior project (yes, there is more!) and while that is going on there is rumor of some LED stuff en route from Rigid.

Stay tuned, I will post it here when done gents.

Last edited:

sumnrfam

I still think steel is better in a collision overall. But the ARB weighs 175 lbs. As for Aluminess, I think they are lacking in the aesthetics dept. YMMV.

The APEX bumper is only 55 lbs, and nearly the same strength as steel, so the weight savings and the effect of that weight reduction on the drivetrain, and MPG impact, is significant.

Losing 100 lbs up front, in front of the tires, makes the truck handle better too.

Great choice Dave,, that thing is beautiful!! :wings::wings: Cant wait to see the next Goose gear update,,,:Wow1:,,,But hey,,I thought I remember you thinking about "another platform" :box: ??

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
There will be another platform at some point, but it will a smaller, faster "soft roader" of the AWD variety that will augment the Tacoma ;)

juicebox

Adventurer
There will be another platform at some point, but it will a smaller, faster "soft roader" of the AWD variety that will augment the Tacoma ;)

B97331068Z.120140613162323000GUR5QGO0.11.jpg

:smiley_drive:

ddog45

Adventurer
We love our cross trek we put 25,000 miles on it last year having fun and car camping. Sometimes a built 4x4 isn't the best tool for the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman