Overland style 2 Dr Jeeps... Pics?

combolc

aPy5lWBl.jpg

'13 JK Sport with 2.5" TeraFlex spring lift, TF quicker disconnects, TF front sway bar, rubicon take off rims and tires (BFG KO 255x75x17), 4.56 gears, rear Eaton e-locker, CB and handheld ham. I bought used 35s a couple weeks ago and drove around with them for a week. I lost 3 mpgs and didn't necessarily see any benefit to the added height for my style of off roading. I have been able to run mid range trails in Moab (Fins and Things, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider Mesa) without any trouble with my small lift and cute little tires.

What type of Jerry can holder is that? hitch mounted?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My bone-stock 2-door TJ was perfect for my 2 year, 40k mile Alaska->Argentina adventure.

I never needed more than 600kms of range, which I could do on the stock tank, and I slept in a ground tent.

-Dan

ih8philly

Adventurer
I bought my Jeep new in 2005, and I always had the idea of a trailer, but time and money. I made plenty of trips out west with what would fit in the back of the Jeep and strapped to the spare tire. Last month I spent two weeks roaming around Utah with my trailer and I love it! It just makes camping more comfortable, especially with the RTT vs. a ground tent.

Camping along Lake Powell:

TTGHnu.jpg

Is this a Savvy front bumper?

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
My bone-stock 2-door TJ was perfect for my 2 year, 40k mile Alaska->Argentina adventure.

I never needed more than 600kms of range, which I could do on the stock tank, and I slept in a ground tent.

-Dan

Expedition in a STOCK vehicle?!!!! Do you know that if our wives see your post, it will invalidate every excuse we have to buy parts?!:coffeedrink:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Expedition in a STOCK vehicle?!!!! Do you know that if our wives see your post, it will invalidate every excuse we have to buy parts?!:coffeedrink:

Haha, yep.

That way you can spend the money on gas and time off work to go on expeditions :p

-Dan

dpicard154

My '98 TJ

photo_1-2.jpg photo_2.jpg photo_1-1.jpg

Its tight, but handles well on the road and in the trails. It's forced us to optimize storage to just what I need for the trip. No trailers to worry about. We have a blast with this rig. -Dave

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Any issue with weight distribution with the mount over the spare tire?

No, the bumper and tire carrier is so heavy that I had to install a taller right rear spring to bring the rear back up. The loaded fridge was by far the heaviest thing carried in the pic. We ran the first 2 days of Jeep trail on this week long trip, hence no trailer.

dpicard154

Looks great...... Any issues with tent getting stuck on trees or anything?

Not really any height problems so far outside of it not fitting in the garage as pictured. I do have to keep an eye in the overhead clearance in the trails. I sometimes place the magnetic CB antenna on the hood. Its height serves as a good visual reference for height clearance. The best part of this rig is its quick and easy convertability. The RTT can be removed in 5 minutes, the roof-rack takes another 3 minutes with 2 people, so if there are any doubts, I just pull it off, usually as a unit. Undo two bolts in the front of the rack, tip it back on its rear hinge, remove the hinge pins and put it on the ground. Same if Colleen and I just want to do some sun-running. I'll be taking the rack system off soon for the Winter so the Jeep fits in the garage. - Dave

nnnnnate

Adventurer
What type of Jerry can holder is that? hitch mounted?

Its a one off made of stainless. It was made to fit a Toyota and I bought it off a buddy. A couple welds actually broke about 10 miles past where the picture was taken and I haven't had time to find someone to fix it that can weld stainless. I'd like to make a couple alterations to the design as well to better fit a Jeep. I had to use a hitch extender to get the cans to clear the spare tire which wasn't great.

Here is a different angle.

xqICDoXl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman