ARB rear bumper for late model Frontier

edsd90

Observer
ARB installed their rear bumper on my truck a few weeks back. Sorry for the delay in sending details and photos.
The bumper went on just as expected. It fit very well and took the usual persuasion with a hammer and block of wood to get it fully onto the rear frame. We needed to remove just a little amount of weld at the upper-outside of each frame rail to get it the last 1/2". This bumper mounts with all six bolts as used for both the bumper and rear receiver on a US spec truck, and is rated at 6600 lb with a 660 lb tongue weight.
The rear finishing panel is for an Australian (or rest-of-the-world) Navara so needed a few changes to properly install it and the license plate. I ultimately ended up using industrial Velcro for the license plate so I wouldn't need to drill holes through the plate itself. The license plate light won't work with US plates, since it was designed to be mounted above and there isn't room with our taller plates. I've got a couple Hella side mouint lights to install this weekend, along with a Hella work light mounted to the 5-bar diamond plate.
This bumper gives me an additional 2" clearance under the receiver, so will improve the rear departure angle as well as adding a lot of reinforcement for the rear corners.
I don't believe they had any in stock at the time, but I'm sure your local ARB dealer could order one now. Marc Bowers would be a good contact.
Ed

Attachments

• rear view.jpg
    rear view.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 247
  • corner view.jpg
    corner view.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I like the bumper.

Is it made for the Frontier, or is it made for a Navara? If it was made for the Navara, was it hard to get one here in the states?

mcm4090

Explorer
Looks great.

edsd90 said:
I don't believe they had any in stock at the time, but I'm sure your local ARB dealer could order one now. Marc Bowers would be a good contact.
Ed
SO the rear bumper is now available in the U.S. Do you now when the front ARB well be available in the U.S.?

edsd90

Observer
I'll reply to both questions here -
Yes, the bumper is currently marketed just for the Navara. Fortunately for me, ARB USA is just up I-5 near Seattle and old friends. Also fortunate is the fact that ARB distributes to the entire western hemisphere from there, so has some Navara bits in stock. Much of their product is drop shipped directly to South America from Australia, but they do keep some in Renton.
They've been noticing the Frontier and are interested in getting some of that business in the US. I timed a call perfectly last Summer when I inquired if they could get me the Navara suspension. Turns out they were already thinking about the Frontier but didn't have a vehicle for beta testing.
This bumper was probably the only one in Renton, but they'll definitely take orders and get some shipped in. They're always bringing containers over, so all it'll take is a dealer order.
They were pretty mum about trying a front bumper, but said they'd be contacting me later. I'm not in a tremendous hurry since I've already got the Shrockworks bumper installed. They saw that bumper for the first time when I had the truck up there recently, and were quite impressed.
I'll follow up in a few weeks with them on the front, and start a new thread when I know more.
Ed

ginericLC

Adventurer
I was told indefinitely from ARB for the front bumper so I ended up installing a Schrockworks front bumper on a customer's rig. It turned out nice. I was pleased with that bumper. However, it took 9 weeks for it to arrive. I think I deleted all the pictures of it. I'll look around and post them if I can find them.

hattrik21

Adventurer
super6turbo4 said:
X2 on the front bumper. I have contacted them several times about it so any updates would be appreciated.

I've been in contact with them about that for over 2 years for my Xterra and keep getting the same BS line about its on our to do list. The one they make for the Navara/Pathfinder (Aussie Version) will most likely fit ours but it won't pass the Airbag tests I was told and since then I haven't heard a thing. It'd be nice to get a honest answer if one will be available or not so I can look elsewhere for one.

ginericLC

Adventurer
Here is one I put on an Xterra 07, it is a Schrockworks. It is a nice bumper. I do prefer the looks of the ARB though.

hattrik21

Adventurer
ginericLC said:
Here is one I put on an Xterra 07, it is a Schrockworks. It is a nice bumper. I do prefer the looks of the ARB though.

Yeah I've got Shrockworks skids and Sliders but the bumber just doesn't click for my tastes like the ones from ARB.

david despain

Adventurer
quarter pannel protection?

is there any thing that would keep the tubes that run forward under the quarter pannels from rotating up into the sheet metal? how do they atach and are they for looks or do they provied any real protection? thanks

ginericLC

Adventurer
As I recall the plates bolted on to the frame and then the bumper bolted to the plates. I'm thinking there were three bolts per side and that the bolts had to be aligned perfectly for the bumper to mount up. I think the 3 bolts when aligned kept the bumper from moving back and forth. It is a stout bumper. I'm really thinking it would not move in a hit. But it is not designed like the typical ARB. It would be really easy to bolt it all on and then weld some 1/2" beads making the mounts to the bumper permanent. This would make it really solid in a hit. One thing I wondered is if the bolts could shear in a collison. I know the reason they do it the way they did is to allow for frame differences. The TJM on my 100 series Land Cruiser mounts in a similar fashion.

edsd90

Observer
The side tubes will offer strong protection. The entire bumper is fully welded, there are no separate mounting brackets, and it installed as one piece. I'm sure you could literally jack the truck up using the side tube only.
Being in Oregon, it's raining again today but supposed to dry up for awhile after this front passes. I should be able to get some shots from the underside tomorrow. I also have the diamond plate and filler panel off right now while I'm installing some lights, so that will help get some other details that would otherwise be hidden.
Look for some detail shots tomorrow.
Ed

edsd90

Observer
Here are a couple detail shots of the bumper without the rear filler panel and diamond plate. I didn't need to get under the truck after all, since these shots offer such a great view of the robust construction.
In the first image you can see how the front end of the tube that runs below the rear corner is boxed and gusseted back to the main frame of the bumper. The second shot shows the double rear cross bars that support the receiver. For my 7-pin trailer wiring harness, I used a generic angle bracket available at any auto parts store and attached it up out of the way between the crossbars on the drivers side.
I'll be happy to answer any other questions.
Ed

Attachments

• corner detail.jpg
    corner detail.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle