Pete's Tacoma Build

pnorvell

Adventurer
Hi All! Thanks for the kind words. I have to tip my hat to the guys at ACC for making those wheels a possibility. If you're in Georgia (or the southeast) give them a shout for some powder coating or really anything (custom fab, restos, lifts, etc). I've been busy recently as my wife and I dropped everything and moved to Colorado this past February. It was tough going for awhile (job hunting, networking, paying bills!) but we both managed to land our dream jobs and are loving every moment of being out here.

I had some time recently to do some updates to the truck and figured I would share them here. After hitting an elk and going through a hail storm or two it was in need of some love! Minor updates, but I think they speak volumes! Reached out to my good friend Sam Stewart for an OEM 2011 "honeycombed" grill and then purchased some aftermarket Depo Headlights. I have a thread on TacomaWorld regarding the lights as there was a lot of scattered info that I tried to consolidate:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/348037-non-oem-replacement-headlights.html

The lights are very nice (covered in plastic wrap in photos)! The upper tabs are a bit flimsier than OEM, but I couldn't find many other differences without having them sitting next to one another.

I wanted to post up the Depo model numbers in case anyone was interested. I also want to mention that the stock photo on Amazon (and pretty much everywhere else) is a little misleading. The housing is flat black, not a smoked chrome. Also, the running light lens is clear, not the yellow/orange as the photo depicts. I'm not aware that any of the aftermarket lights are available "smoked". Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll promptly be frustrated... :D
IMG_5177 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_5183 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_5174 by pnorvell, on Flickr

Ok, so when you read EVERYWHERE that you have to seal these lights, you HAVE to seal these lights. I guess that's why I paid $130 for both when OEMs are $227ea. It even came with a pamphlet discussing condensation in the lights. They are fully aware of the issue and don't care Hahaha

Look at that gap!!
IMG_5175 by pnorvell, on Flickr

Again, GAP!
IMG_5176 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_5186 by pnorvell, on Flickr

I digress... Ok sealing the lights was incredibly simple to do so please everyone realize that. Anyone could do this! You just need a caulking gun, GE Silicone II, and your finger. By the time you get to the second light you're practically a pro. It took about a third the time.

IMG_5173 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_5178 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_5184 by pnorvell, on Flickr

IMG_5179 by pnorvell, on Flickr

pnorvell

Adventurer
I got the lights and grill installed pretty quickly. A little wiggling must ensue due the ARB bumper but everything works as it should. Really simply update that I think anyone with a pre-'11 truck should consider. While I was at it I swapped the Bestop out for Softopper. I loved the Bestop, but I think I like the Softopper better. The lack of windows doesn't affect visibility at all. I actually think you can see much better out of the Softopper due to the none-tinted vinyl they use. Just my opinion.

photo 1 by pnorvell, on Flickr

photo 2 by pnorvell, on Flickr

photo 3 by pnorvell, on Flickr

photo 5 by pnorvell, on Flickr

photo 5 by pnorvell, on Flickr

photo 2 by pnorvell, on Flickr

MTWheeler

Observer
Wonderful lookin Tacoma man! As soon as my old Nissan craps out, I'll be in the Taco market! Again, great lookin rig... Perfect combination of looks and useability!

soonenough

Explorer
Looks great! I went with almost the same setup on my '08 - 2011 chrome grille painted black and 2009 OEM smoked headlights (which leak even though they're OEM). What process / product(s) did you use to paint the chrome on the grille? I got lazy and rattle-canned mine and it's looking pretty rough after 2 years and lots of highway miles.

Jeff H

Adventurer
I'm a huge fan of the updated grill. I never noticed the difference until you posted it so now I'm searching for one myself.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Looks great! I went with almost the same setup on my '08 - 2011 chrome grille painted black and 2009 OEM smoked headlights (which leak even though they're OEM). What process / product(s) did you use to paint the chrome on the grille? I got lazy and rattle-canned mine and it's looking pretty rough after 2 years and lots of highway miles.

The new grill is actually the base unpainted model. It's more of a gray but that's how it comes from Toyota, which is exactly what I wanted. On the previous grill I used Rust-Oleum bed liner. It too looked pretty rough after a few years; broken tabs, cracked in a few places, and the paint was going too.

Thanks everyone for looking! I'm hoping to address bed storage next. Nothing too insane just simply mounting items so I can quit using ratchet straps. What are some good hi-lift options that you all are using? I also plan to get a proper bedside tire mount for the spare. I know there are a few custom fab companies that make these.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I have had great luck with mounting my jack to a custom DIY bracket (found on Tacoma World).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414446289.203503.jpg

Fits very nicely and out of the way.

Regarding the spare, why not just leave it under the truck?

pnorvell

Adventurer
I have had great luck with mounting my jack to a custom DIY bracket (found on Tacoma World).

View attachment 253605

Fits very nicely and out of the way.

Regarding the spare, why not just leave it under the truck?

Thanks for that! I'll look into it. I was hoping to find a solution involving the trac-system and not have to drill holes. Looks like that's a perfect match! As for the spare, two reasons - 255's don't fit in the stock location without grinding down some tabs. 2nd, I'll get heat for this one :)sombrero:) but I don't want the powder coating to get beat up/marred under there. Out of sight out of mind makes me worry it could be rusting up under there, or worse, puncture.

soonenough

Explorer
The new grill is actually the base unpainted model. It's more of a gray but that's how it comes from Toyota, which is exactly what I wanted. On the previous grill I used Rust-Oleum bed liner. It too looked pretty rough after a few years; broken tabs, cracked in a few places, and the paint was going too.
Maybe I'm confused, but in this pic below it looks like a chrome grille? That's why I thought you'd bought a chrome grille and painted it. Either way, the end result looks great. I need to pull the headlights out of my truck and do some polishing on them. I've been wondering if they would even come out with the ARB bumper installed, or if I would have to pull the bumper, but it sounds like you were able to get them out with the bumper installed.

I got the lights and grill installed pretty quickly. A little wiggling must ensue due the ARB bumper but everything works as it should. Really simply update that I think anyone with a pre-'11 truck should consider.

pnorvell

Adventurer

Yep! Found this the other day and think I'm going this route. He has some really neat tool mounts too that he made. Any luck finding those T-nuts at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace? Or is that a custom order? I know other people mentioned in that thread that they used variations of hardware. This was that other thread here I guess I can just take morning and visit all the stores!

Maybe I'm confused, but in this pic below it looks like a chrome grille? That's why I thought you'd bought a chrome grille and painted it. Either way, the end result looks great. I need to pull the headlights out of my truck and do some polishing on them. I've been wondering if they would even come out with the ARB bumper installed, or if I would have to pull the bumper, but it sounds like you were able to get them out with the bumper installed.

Indeed it looks chromed in that photo but its just clean (had just come out of the box). The bumper does make things more interesting but it's definitely doable. I would recommend using painters tape across the front or plastic wrap so you don't scratch it while re-installing them. That was a pro-tip from a guy on Tacomaworld and it is definitely useful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12