Converting To LED Headlights

peneumbra

Explorer
Who out there has converted their vehicle(s) to LED headlights? I'm talking about the real-deal, high-dollar items. I'm thinking about doing this to our large (40 foot) diesel motorhome, and I'm looking for feedback as to how satisfied you are with the conversion. This is, of course, for on-highway use only.:snorkel:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
What lihts are you looking at, I have truck lites and LOVE THEM. They have the best high beam of anything I have seen yet. IF your looking at the plug and play little things from ebay, run away.

Lucky j

Explorer
well, Theire seems to be one draw back but It might not apply to you. Someone might be able to confirm, I've heard that when you drive in the snow, since they hardly put out any heat, To snow would not be melting on the light. So you loose visibility.

That is if you ever get to drive in a snow strom.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I did go with Rigid Industries light bars, those things are super impressive.

One thing I have learned with LEDs, you definitely get what you pay for. Rigid Industries and V-Leds are expensive, but worth it. Cheap LEDs from ebay are worthless.

Last edited:

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
I found a link over on thenissanpath.com (a Nissan Pathfinder forum) that linked to a thread on a Fronteir forum about LED lamps. (Thus explaining why the link isn't posted)

The net/net was that some trimming was required, but the light output was dramatically improved.

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
I have lifetime leds and really like them. Light output is incredible, no more yellow light, great pattern and throw, drove in snow with no issues. And their customer service is great. I had on go out on me on a trip and they next day mailed me a new one to an address on my route with prepaid label to send old one back.

peneumbra

Explorer
Not likely that I'll be driving this 22-ton, 40 foot long motor home in snowy conditions; at least I hope not.

The led units I've been looking at are priced around $250 per headlight, give or take, and are the same sort one uses on a large Class 8 truck.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What size lights do you have?
There are options for 7" round and 5"x7" that range from very good to excellent.
The drop-in replacements from unscrupulous companies like Lifetime LED are not legal and don't/can't work properly.

I've tested and used:
Trucklite Phase 5, 7"
Trucklite Phase 6, 7"
Trucklite Phase 7, 7" & 5x7
JW Speaker Model 8700 7"
JW Speaker Model 8700 Evolution, 7" and 5x7
JW Speaker Model 8700 Evolution 2, 7"

I'm on my second set of the Evo-2s, beta testing the new adapter for use on Jeep JKs (needed for their pulswidth modulated power delivery to the lights)

The JWS Evo-2 is the benchmark right now. I haven't tested the Petersons yet (also sold as KC) but I've seen the photometry and it's very good. The TruckLite's are also good, better in their ECE rendition; in their SAE trim they produce some "artifacts" that many users are distracted by.

I have to add the Evo-2 to this mess but I started all the testing with TL Phase 6 here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/headlight-shootout-1166827/
More info: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?394127-7-inch-LED-conversions
About Rigid: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?394127-7-inch-LED-conversions

And no, they don't melt snow well. The original JWS Model 8700 did. It had a fan and a glass lens.
And I've heard that there is a Trucklite version of their Phase 7 designed for snow use but my contact at Trucklite has moved on and I've never seen this white unicorn...
BTW, the Trucklite Phase 7 is also sold as a GE branded product. Shop around.

020_zpsd4fb0922.jpg

orangeTJ

Explorer
One thing I have learned with LEDs, you definitely get what you pay for. Rigid Industries and V-Leds are expensive, but worth it. Cheap LEDs from ebay are worthless.

Ditto.

I have V-LEDs in my truck (The 2006) as DRLs and backup lights.

Regarding the OP's 40 DP coach - most coaches I've seen are using automotive headlight housings from various cars or trucks, though some use a projector style headlight. For either style, I've yet to see a full LED housing that would replace those.

The only LED headlights I've seen are the complete replacement style that take the place of sealed beam halogen lamps, such as the 5x7 like a Jeep Cherokee uses, or the 7" round like a Jeep JK, TJ or CJ use, and some housing on Class 8 trucks - though those would only work if they could be adapted to your coach.

I had TruckLite 7" round in my Jeep and loved them.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Ditto.

I have V-LEDs in my truck (The 2006) as DRLs and backup lights.

Regarding the OP's 40 DP coach - most coaches I've seen are using automotive headlight housings from various cars or trucks, though some use a projector style headlight. For either style, I've yet to see a full LED housing that would replace those.

The only LED headlights I've seen are the complete replacement style that take the place of sealed beam halogen lamps, such as the 5x7 like a Jeep Cherokee uses, or the 7" round like a Jeep JK, TJ or CJ use, and some housing on Class 8 trucks - though those would only work if they could be adapted to your coach.

I had TruckLite 7" round in my Jeep and loved them.
Some coaches use 90mm projectors. If so, Hella has a decent LED version ---- decent, not spectacular. They also have an H9 and HID version that are better.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Don't waste you money on the truck lites. Spend a few more bucks and get the jw speakers if you're considering this type of option.
They don't even compare. The light output of the truck lite looks dim, purple, "splotchy" fill, and a "meh" cutoff (scientific terms) compared to the JW speakers. My JW Speaker fog lights were 1000x better as a low beam than my truck lite low beams were.
Just my experience. I really wish I would have spent the little extra on the Speaker head lights instead.

peneumbra

Explorer
On this motorhome, the headlights are 4" X 6" - same size as a KW 900 series. So I've ordered the set that fits the Kenworths. I've seen one truck with them, and they appeared to be very bright and very white in color, without blinding oncoming drivers.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
On this motorhome, the headlights are 4" X 6" - same size as a KW 900 series. So I've ordered the set that fits the Kenworths. I've seen one truck with them, and they appeared to be very bright and very white in color, without blinding oncoming drivers.
What brand did you order?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
^^They're made (or marketed by) United Pacific, a company that makes high-end lighting stuff for Class 8 trucks.
I've seen UP in truckstops but don't know much about them. I pinged Virgil to see his thoughts on them.
They're at least legal.

JW Speaker makes 4x6, btw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179