Damaged by the Dusy

jeremyk

Adventurer
Wish I could remember the trail better. Example I don't remember Thompson Hill at all but both times we ran the entire trail we would have been going down it. I do remember comments like "get a good nights sleep, tomorrow's going to be a rough one." We did stop at a lake and spent two nights there. Did some fishing and climbed a nearby mountain with a very pretty young lady. The picture you showed of the granite peak I also have in my photos.

None of your photos show any serious tippy spots. Maybe your were just too busy to grab the camera.

Great report and anxious for chapter 4.

Hey Ace, glad you're following along on this one! We didn't really experience too much in the way of tippy, the main challenge is the trail is rough and loose, with the random large boulder. Because you are using a dirt surface to push over those Sierra boulders, rather that a rock surface, like the Rubicon, you run into serious traction issues. When you add that to the serious limitation of lines by virtue of the constant procession of trees and the extended length of the trail - you get the toughness of the Dusy.

We definitely spent more time driving than taking pictures and sightseeing, we had no choice...

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Noted Erik is running 35s. Do you think they would help an FJ much? What sort of air pressure where you both running?

jeremyk

Adventurer
Noted Erik is running 35s. Do you think they would help an FJ much? What sort of air pressure where you both running?

Yep Erik's on 35's. Makes rolling over things much easier, like a 29'er. we we're both running 14-18 psi (no bead-locks). I would like to do the 35" thing but am nervous about broken half-shafts. The BFG 285's are 32's, but I love their durability. Erik runs the Kevlar Goodyear MTR's so I'm going to check to see if they make a true 33-34" tire; maybe the lighter weight, with the Kevlar sidewall, I will be able to increase my roll-over and clearance without adding too much stress.

nater

Adventurer
Toyo and nitto make 285/75r17 that is a 34. Bfg is about to release a 34x10.5r17 in their AT ko2

Last edited:

jeremyk

Adventurer
Part 4 - To Ershim Lake

Part 4 - To Ershim Lake

4 Camp at Thompson.jpg
Camp at Thompson Lake

4 Thompson Lake.jpg
Thompson Lake

The next morning we found ourselves camped next to an Outward Bound group that had hiked in from Courtright. They were very respectful and organized and had the discipline to hit the trail well before we were up and going. Exhausted from the previous day’s efforts, we were off to a slow start. Even though we were already two days into the trail, we were only a third of the way done. There was a long way to go and we had to find the energy and enthusiasm to get it done. Our plan was to make it to Ershim Lake and make camp for the night, hoping for an early finish to the day with lots of time to play. And maybe do some fishing. The “less driving more camping” goal was not being met.

4 leaving camp.jpg
Leaving Thompson Lake, tough right out of the gate...

Once again, the going was tough right from the start. At the beginning we needed rock stackers and spotters just to leave camp. We looked at each other and agreed “this is a very tough trail” at least with our experience; always demanding, no easy progress. It all had to be fought for. Since we plan to do this kind of adventure with our boys until we are physically no longer able to, it was all good experience. The more miles of challenge we could successfully achieve now, the better we could face any future challenges we would encounter. kind of like athletic training.

4Granite excercise balls.jpg
Those "granite exercise balls"

4 Fj crawling.jpg
Always tough, always slow

Our goal is to be able to handle trail-stress with calm, grace and confidence. We were on a crash course. Last year the Rubicon for our first class, this year the Dusy for graduate work. In some ways it takes both faith and knowledge combined. The knowledge that you've done this before and the faith that you will be successful in doing it again. This will, hopefully, lead to the confidence necessary to reduce the stress that we were feeling and the physical and mental toll that that extracts. We all were discovering this together, there was no one with more experience on this kind of trail on the adventure with us; it was trial and error. Hopefully not too much error. Error out here can be costly.

4 Erilk to lakecamp.jpg
Erik crawling

4 Erik squeaking through.jpg
Always tight. Look closely, trees on both sides of Erik's rig

It was rough going to Summit Lake where we met up with a crew from the Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno who were out on their annual six day trip through the Dusy. Probably a really good pace for this trail; experience has insight. They all had 35”+ tires, short wheel base rigs and were going at a leisurely pace. We were only half way through our day, and they were already camped. They told us that we still had four hours to Ershim Lake and we were hoping for two. At this pace we were in for another seven-hour day. They told us about Little Thompson Hill, at the very beginning of the trail from Courtright, and how most people skipped that part in order to get on with the main trail. We felt happy that we had not missed that part, because by now, we were convinced that this was going to be our only trip to the Dusy Ershim.

4 FJ to Lake Camp.jpg
Four wheels up on the rocks

4 Ershim Lake sign.jpg
Relief at achieving the day's goal - Ershim Lake

By 6 o’clock in the evening we finally made it through the continuous challenges, all the way to the beautiful camp at Ershim Lake, where we saw the only other group of wheelers we had seen so far on the trail. This was nothing like the Rubicon. There we saw a nearly constant stream of vehicles of all types, probably 50 or 60 by the time we made it to our camp at Buck Island Lake, our half-way point. So far we had seen a total of nine other vehicles in the same distance as the total length of the Rubicon. There we had enjoyed a real party atmosphere, here people were far more subdued and business-like. The group we saw at Ershim Lake seemed to be avoiding us, not wanting to make contact at all. So we let them be. The boys set up camp while I broke out the barbecue and cooked up some tri-tip for dinner. We had a fire and went to bed not too long after dark, still tired from our efforts.

Camp @ Ershim Lake.jpg
Beautiful camp at Ershim Lake. Thanks 4WDC of Fresno!

We decided to hang out until mid-day the next day and enjoy the beautiful camp, take a shower and do some fishing. Stop and “smell the roses” Dusy style.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Now that you have had several months to think about the difficulties of this trail, would you do it again?

jeremyk

Adventurer
Now that you have had several months to think about the difficulties of this trail, would you do it again?

No. Not in the FJ, the damage was very expensive. I will do the Rubicon, hopefully next year, with larger tires and more experience, in the FJ. But the Dusy, if I do it again, will be done with a purpose-built trail rig that I tow down there with the FJ. I have a Series IIa Land Rover that I hope to sell and turn into a 1985 4Runner that will be built for that purpose.

The trees and the corners are so tight that you need a short wheel base, narrow track rig, that you don't care if it gets hammered and can make it 900 miles home. Hopefully we can have some fireside chats in June about this...

pmatusov

AK6PM
Jeremy, thanks for posting Part 4! The weekend would not be complete without this reading!

Interesting that sometime about 12 years ago a Discoweb group drove Rubicon and Dusy back-to-back, with the "lowliest" vehicle being a Disco 1 on 245/75R16s.... Maybe FJ is a lot larger vehicle than a D1, maybe the trail has become more difficult.

jeremyk

Adventurer
Jeremy, thanks for posting Part 4! The weekend would not be complete without this reading!

Interesting that sometime about 12 years ago a Discoweb group drove Rubicon and Dusy back-to-back, with the "lowliest" vehicle being a Disco 1 on 245/75R16s.... Maybe FJ is a lot larger vehicle than a D1, maybe the trail has become more difficult.

Or maybe they were more experienced drivers with more skill and patience than just two brothers and their kids on the trail. I could see doing that in rigs you weren't afraid to hurt with a fair amount of support with experienced drivers.

I've done a fair amount of solo off-road (2000+ miles) around southern Utah, but not much crawling. My brother started his wheeling "career" on the Rubicon. When there is no one along with additional experience, it's hard to know what to do. You do what comes to mind. To this day, we have not used our winches - maybe that's a problem? I don't know...

I'm glad you are enjoying our story.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
There is no doubt in my mind the trail is way more difficult than what I experienced in early 70s so I'm sure it also has gotten harder than 12 years ago. Of course I was a lot younger than too but knowing what we drove in 72-73 we would not have succeeded if we did it again today.

JK, another hard question. How much better did the Rubi fare? Every photo shows Erik looking pretty much undaunted.

jeremyk

Adventurer
There is no doubt in my mind the trail is way more difficult than what I experienced in early 70s so I'm sure it also has gotten harder than 12 years ago. Of course I was a lot younger than too but knowing what we drove in 72-73 we would not have succeeded if we did it again today.

JK, another hard question. How much better did the Rubi fare? Every photo shows Erik looking pretty much undaunted.

Ace- Erik is stressed, no doubt about that, but the JK he has, with SAS, a front locker and 35's is way more capable than the FJ. My BFG's measure 32" (with a real-time ruler) and there is no way IFS has the articulation that SAS in the front has. Plus my sheet metal sticks out past my tires while his is 6" inside his rubber. But the road trip is much easier in the FJ as is most of the travel I do. It's all a compromise, you just gotta figure out what you want. I'll take Toyota reliability for all of the solo travel I do and take my time and chances for the 5% of crawling I go for...

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Your story telling is awesome. I am loving this trail report as much as I did your Rubicon report.

Last edited:

elripster

Adventurer
My fj60 is my first solid front axle rig having owned IFS 4runners in the past and I totally agree that this trail really lends itself to a solid axle rig. Heck, you might even to better with independent all around, at least the flex or what there is of it would be more evenly split between front and rear suspension. With a flexible rear suspension and a front setup with much more roll stiffness like the IFS the truck just leans with the front wheels rather than splitting the difference between the front and rear suspension. Often that means leaning into trees, etc... Oh how I know...

Maybe swap a solid axle into the FJ some day? Best of many worlds there.

As others have said, this is an excellent read and very educational.

Frank

STREGA

Explorer
After our camping trip on the North Rim last summer it didn't sound like you were going to do a trip report on your Dusy adventure, I'am really glad you decided to do so. Your storytelling is great (apparently many others agree as well!) and I enjoyed listening about your trip over some adult bevy's and a warm campfire. Reading and seeing some pics of your trip really shows how tough this trail is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle