Has your JK ever left you stranded?

MTSN

Explorer
I was a Jeep guy for a long time - CJ5, CJ7, 3 XJs, and a ZJ, but I got out of the off road game when a few of buddies I'd wheel with sold their rigs. I also moved to Vegas and found absolutely no one interested in the sport, so I got into cars for a while (although one of them was a V8 BMW X5 that I put Range Rover wheels and AT tires on and still off roaded it from time to time ;) ). When I moved back home to Colorado a couple years ago, I decided to find a reliable and tough 4x4 that would be comfortable around town, great for ski trips, be good off road and have lots of aftermarket support. I chose the 100 series Land Cruiser for it's good clearance, perfect wheel base, factory center and rear locking diffs, silky smooth V8 and transmission, good looks and above it's bulletproof reliability record. I've built it fairly well with an OME 2.5" lift, Slee sliders, Slee belly plate, TJM bumper, 10k winch/w Factor 55, URBs, ARB drawers, CVT awning, Duratracs, and put lots of money into preventative maintenance.

I truly do love my 100, but the one thing that I haven't found myself using it for is camping which I figured we'd do all the time once I had the truck. In fact, we've only gone camping once in 2.5 years :( I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to roughing it, and part of the reason is that have a bad disk in my back and sleeping on the ground causes considerable pain for a couple of days after. That lead me to look for alternatives, and the most obvious choice was a RTT for the 100. The main reasons why that won't work are that I would not fit height wise into my garage at work or many of the garages around town I use. In fact, I couldn't even add a Yakima universal ski rack onto factory cross bars because of height! I do not have the option to simply remove the RTT when I'm not using it because I live in a loft/condo complex with nowhere to store it. The next option I considered was having a conversion where the roof would be cut and a pop top solution was put in, but I reached out to several well known vendors and none were interested at this point in doing a 100 series. The last option I've considered and the one I'm pondering daily now, is to replace the 100 with a JKU or JKUR and fit an Ursa Minor J30 top on it which I feel/hope would get us out camping more and would provide a more comfortable situation.

Probably the most critical area for me in considering a new vehicle is the reliability factor since I intend to be in remote areas and often alone. I used to carry 2 huge bins of tools in my XJ (mostly because I didn't have a garage LOL), and I could pretty much fix anything that happened to it. It had sticky starter solenoids, and every now and then I'd take a BFH and give it a few good taps and get on with my day :) Fun as that was, I'm not in college any more, I don't want to carry my garage with me in the Jeep, and I don't want to be calling my buddy with a new baby asking him to load up his car hauler onto his truck and come find me. He already gives me a hard enough time because his $60k Dodge Ram 3500 diesel is so much bigger and better than my 100 :rolleyes:

My question here is - have any of you been truly stranded by your JKU/JKUR? I don't necessarily mean because you were on some crazy hard trail doing something you should have said no to, gave it too much gas and snapped an axle, but more like you woke up ready to leave camp and the Jeep wouldn't start. Or, you were on a road trip and the ignition completely gave out and nearly killed you (like my ZJ). I'm looking for things that could mean the difference between making it out ok from the backcountry or potentially being in extreme danger because of a failure. I'm looking to buy a 2012+, however if I spotted a really good deal on an 07-11 or if someone wanted to trade me for my 100 I would consider it. If I buy a 2012+, I'll most likely buy brand new since around here they're pretty much the same cost new or used with 20-40k miles on them. Sorry for the long winded post - I realize I just kept rambling!

One of the XJs that I tinkered with in college:

misc_0090.jpg

The X5 that made people scratch their heads when they saw it on Jeep trails:

23650d1206840038-more-offroading-pictures-vegas-file0057.jpg

And the current rig:

dsc_0578-jpg.944727

Last edited:

MTSN

Explorer
^ Sorry for the horizontal lines. I can't figure out the correct html tags to get a line break/paragraph!

SoCal Tom

Explorer
73K miles, and a cross country trip. I had a burned exhaust gasket ( probably due to the air compressor mounted over it). and I have an issue with gas overfilling the tank. ( I did run out of gas once). Otherwise its been totally reliable. I used to have an Early Bronco ( 67) with a 91 mustang EFI engine, 4r70w transmission 35s yada yada yada. I carried 100lbs of spare parts. Last trip with the JK I forgot my tools, it didn't matter. I was always wrenching on the EB.
Tom

m(a)ce

Adventurer
Sounds like you have a nicely kitted 100!

As for JKs: nope -we've never been stranded by any of them.

2007 JK X (sold)
2008 JKUR (sold)
2013 JKR
and now 2014 JKUR

if possible I'd say go for the 2012+

111,200 miles

no but I did get a new trans from a dealer when it started making noise but that was at over 100k i rely on mine for work. I am think about selling and getting a new rubicon an 15 .

MTSN

Explorer
Very encouraging posts guys! Sounds like things are a bit more reliable than back in the day! Though to be fair I never really had anything major go wrong with the vehicles I had with the 4.0 I6, it was more the carb'd motors and the 5.2 V8.

MR.Ty

Observer
Owned an 09 and now a 14. Both have made trips from FL to VA and back again with no issues.

jeepovich

Explorer
I have 60,000 miles on my 3.8 with 4 speed auto(2011). Over 20,000 miles of ot were accumulated in 4 low. The only problem I had at 45,000 miles was cracked dr side exhaust manifold. I bought a "redesigned" aftermarket manifold set for $90 (included both sides) and only replaced the cracked one (took 20 min). Front drive shaft CV joint started to make noise at 50,000 miles but it was due to torn boot which I tore in the first year of ownership.

WMPhoto

Observer
LOL.. I've got 202,000 miles on my 09... Started every single time. Never an issue.
She is my D.D., a weekend toy, and tows my m416 for family cross country trips to Moab and Colorado... Thing is a beast and still going...

eaneumann

Adventurer
Mine would have left me stranded once if it wasn't a manual transmission. Starter went out on my 2012 with 50k miles. Carrying an extra starter in an automatic seems easy enough! I did have the cylinder head failure on mine at 150 miles, but it still drove. Was able to drive it to the dealer 60 miles away. Traded it in with 80k with no other issues. We beat ours up and it was my daily driver. Drove cross country many times, miss it.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421517044.165887.jpg

wADVr

Adventurer
It has never left me stranded but have had a couple close calls. The neutral safety switch is dis functional on my JK and until I learned what it was I was almost stranded after a difficult scramble up a peak- walking out was not an attractive option. The other was when the solinoid pack went out in the transmission. This put it in limp mode and 2nd gear is all I had. Top speed of about 35-40. Not stranded but if I was way out in eastern wa would have needed a tow- luckily I was 6 miles from home when it happened. That said I'd drive it anywhere and feel confident.

MTSN

Explorer
It has never left me stranded but have had a couple close calls. The neutral safety switch is dis functional on my JK and until I learned what it was I was almost stranded after a difficult scramble up a peak- walking out was not an attractive option. The other was when the solinoid pack went out in the transmission. This put it in limp mode and 2nd gear is all I had. Top speed of about 35-40. Not stranded but if I was way out in eastern wa would have needed a tow- luckily I was 6 miles from home when it happened. That said I'd drive it anywhere and feel confident.

Funny you mention the NSS. That was a very common issue back in the day, and I figured it was something that was a non issue nowadays. I learned that on an auto you could take it out of park and put it in neutral to fire it up when it wouldn't start sometimes. An annoyance but definitely not a deal breaker. I drove a 2012 JKUR today, and it was nice but not nearly "less expensive enough" to justify used vs. new. There was a very clean 2012 JKUR with 24k miles on it, fully loaded with heated seats and hard top locally for $29k, but it sold before I could get down there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears