Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Better late than never. The mattress is 50 inches wide. With memory foam this thick, you seldom move around much. We have a queen and this seems to be fine. We have slept in more than 30 nights.

Again so sorry for not seeing this a long time ago.

Bob

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
After the last two builds, I decided it was time to renovate the original. Putting new electrics, gas system and plumbing in the old girl. Will get some fresh photos of her soon. Now just a little over 18500 miles on it. Out side still looks like new, but the kitchen needs some help. Not going crazy, but will repaint and maybe put some vinyl on the walls and galley back. Maybe even do it on the rear door. Mounting some mountain bike clamps for the Summit. A lot to get done in a just a few days. Oh well like a challenge!!!

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Well almost done with the remodel.
Removed all wiring, all plumbing and all propane.
Installed new Progressive Dynamics control box, soldered all wires and heat shrink on all wiring.
Installed new TV with DVD, last one failed after two years.
Installed new Microwave, door broke, would not open.
Installed new Chairman 255 amp hour battery. It has ran for four full days with galley, interior lights on and off, water pump running, still at 12.6
Installed 12 volt fan behind fridge area, new vent on electrical side, to move air at night and to cool fridge. This is on a switch.
All wiring runs to the Progressive Dynamics box, but the 12 volt load runs through the Morningstar Digital controller. I know exactly what is running and how much it is drawing. I can completely shut down all 12 volt use by pushing one button, but the main box will monitor and charge the battery if connected to 110. Do not need to monitor it.
Installed new Fox Wing, removed old ARB and moved it to the FJ
Installed new quick connect box, built interior box.
Installed new plumbing and am trying foam for protection against rubbing. Nothing failed other than my brain in that I did not drain the tank and the PVC I had used exploded over the winter. All plumbing now metal. Rewired so all wiring is behind the cabinets and not visible.
Installed new bike racks on rear. Will attach at the rear wheel after a trip to the hardware store. Metal bar runs under the rear wheels but requires cutting the bolt to exact length as it hits the counter top.
Still have to setup new solar panel and brackets for it.

Headed to FJ Summit next Friday, almost done.

Attachments

• Ouray base camp remodel 001.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Ouray base camp remodel 002.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 002.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 94
  • Ouray base camp remodel 003.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 003.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Ouray base camp remodel 004.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 004.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Ouray base camp remodel 005.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 005.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Ouray base camp remodel 006.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 006.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Ouray base camp remodel 007.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 007.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Ouray base camp remodel 008.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 008.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Ouray base camp remodel 009.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 009.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Ouray base camp remodel 010.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 010.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 92

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
More pictures hopefully.

Attachments

• Ouray base camp remodel 011.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 011.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Ouray base camp remodel 012.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 012.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 101
  • Ouray base camp remodel 013.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 013.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Ouray base camp remodel 014.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 014.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Ouray base camp remodel 015.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 015.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 117
  • Ouray base camp remodel 016.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 016.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Ouray base camp remodel 017.jpg
    Ouray base camp remodel 017.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 102

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
I originally had it on the door completely, but too much weight hanging on it. Moved it to above the door, but the bikes will be attached to the door. Heavier struts would lift and hold it, but then if the bikes were not it, it would knock you down. I am tethering the bikes to the roof rack for long trips, do not want to lose one.

Bob

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Back from Colorado, trailer and all updates worked flawlessly. Did develop a leak around the roof rack. Fixed it with a little silicone. I will remove it and do it right this time. Instructions say no silicone is needed. Wrong. Went to all the work to get the bikes to Colorado and never even rode them. Too busy with everything going on at the Summit. will try to get some pictures soon.

The Progressive Dynamics box is the best upgrade I made. Truly amazing system. Kept the battery at the top of the range the whole week. Never ran the generator or the Solar system. Just plugged into 110 and all performed great.

Hit rain most of the way home, and it rained on us nearly every day for a week. But the trails were perfect and the wild flowers were the best I have ever seen. Miles of them in the higher meadows. Anyone who has never done the Ouray runs, should make it once in their life times, truly some of the most beautiful country in the world. Nothing like it in the Continental United States. Even Coloradoans say they never knew it was there. A wonderful week of fresh mountain air, afternoon showers and fantastic rainbows, with miles of Aspen, Blue Spruce, water crossing and wild flowers. I want to go back right now.

BSR

Utter Numpty
rhinoliningplasticremovedfromouterfiberglass001-1.jpg

I was addicted to this thread and the updates when it was first built. It's still my favourite Tear/Trailer/Camper build.
Beautiful machine and so neatly executed, hugely inspirational to me and (I imagine) many, many other builders.

How's she bearing up with a few years under her belt now?

dvsjw

Observer
The original found a new home in KC. We did some of the KAT on the way to Overland Expo East and a handful of Midwest camping after we dragged it over a mountain pass on the way back from Ouray. I made some changes and additions to the back and inside this summer to add some creature comforts for the better half. There are some additional changes planned to fine tune it for our use. I should get some photos and add to the link as it truly is an awesome trailer design. Thanks Skersfan.

fortel

Adventurer
I originally had it on the door completely, but too much weight hanging on it. Moved it to above the door, but the bikes will be attached to the door. Heavier struts would lift and hold it, but then if the bikes were not it, it would knock you down. I am tethering the bikes to the roof rack for long trips, do not want to lose one.

Good idea, I would do the same. Even with the lawyer tabs on the drop outs I would worry about the front fork coming out of the mount. A little extra security will never hurt.

dvsjw

Observer
I have traveled locally with the bikes on blacktop as shown and it works, but it looks like too much leverage for the system for long hauls or any off road. I think I would add a strap more to assist in the side to side torque for any real distant travels with the bikes. SKersfan added new struts and now the hatch lifts fine with light weight bikes, it just requires a little extra push mid lift. The real issue is the straps might prohibit quick roadside access to food, never a good thing.

We are not huge bike fans, but do enjoy a good outing on them. A tire mount to the spare on the truck or trailer could be possible alternative answer.

dvsjw

Observer
Took some photos today of the hatch when I opened it to check on the charge of the battery...

P1120121.jpg
The changes I made were a pair of spice/soap racks, moved the back wall behind the sink back about 6 inches to accommodate the cooking utensils in the tackle box, moved the power control board from the center middle. I added a few switches for control of the LED's, refrigerator and a fan. Changed the florescent to LED (went from 1.5 amp per light to 200 milliamp with a red and/or white light.) Moved the paper towel holder, added a storage space behind the counter top for pots and pans. I made an oak pan, Corelle plates, bowls and silverware storage rack. They slide in and down to keep them in place with a bungee for good measure. Hanging from the cross braces are 4 (2 shown) stemware glasses held by a polyurethaned 1/4 ply board with a home made spring to retain them while off road. (Our tribute and threshold for glamping) I added a re-settable main cutoff breaker just off the main battery, underneath storage for a step stool, wheel chalks and misc things under the cabinet. The level indicators on the back, as that is where it counts and where I can see it jacking the low sides. If it is not at least close the pans will slide off the gas stove.

P1120122.jpg

The goal for the back was to have a place for everything and everything in its place. When we camped out of the back of the tow vehicle I was the only person who knew where stuff was and how to get it back. Now everyone that goes knows how to get use and return whats needed. Note the Velcro on the lighter to keep it right there and easily put back. I camp with near professional campers (wife and now only sometimes with kids) but it makes it easier when it is easy.

Plans for the kitchen include some way to get a little wider/longer sink to make cleaning easier. I also want to be able to get a plastic bear sink in and out easily for bear camping. And if possible a faucet that will fold down or out of the way when not needed. The current one is kinda a pain as it will easily turn on and if not over the sink will run over into the floor of the trailer.

When it gets above freezing I will take some of the inside and underneath the trailer to show the other changes.

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Well thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments. I am so glad you are happy with it.

I stopped building them, this spring-summer. My son had to have major heart surgery, two little children and a young wife. I realized that life was more about being with them than spending my life in the shop making these things. It took 3-4 months to build one from ground up. It was time I was missing with my family. So Patti and I decided to stop doing it. Sold our original prototype to DVSJW. This trailer structurally was bullet proof, it did things no one else would even attempt with a small military type trailer. I was fortunate to never put a scratch in it.

My other half had had the camping seen, her comments were you keep a sleeping bag warm and dry with a Mariot around it. We bought a little sports car, we go on car runs all over and stay at hotels. Did the Summit this year and stayed in the hotel. Amazing how much happier the trip was!!!

I miss my baby, but family and happiness is far more important than that beautiful crisp clear morning air on Imogene, the smell of bacon and eggs, OH SHYT I need to stop!!!!!

If some have interest in building one and would like to talk with me, PM me I will give you as much information as I can. The Kelley trailer is pretty telling on how I did things, follow it through.

Good day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12