New to me 97 Suburban 2500 4x4

tigger

Hi, I have been reading posts since 2012. Back then I had a FJ80. So most of my posting was happening on IH8MUD. Realized that even tho I love my Land Cruiser, I needed more room and more power. I sold my Land Cruiser 6 months ago and the hunt for a 3/4 ton suburban started. Covered most of the normal sale sites. Everyone I found either had a ton of miles on it and needed a lot of attention and still wanted a lot of $$$, or they were well maintained and wanted even more $$$ for there rig. I went to see a ton of 1/2 ton rigs, but I knew if I held off I would find the one I was looking for.

Two weeks ago I came across a 1997 Suburban 2500 4x4 in my town. It had low miles (136,xxx), 2nd owner (original owner was the grand father), and seemed well taken care of for the asking price of $2500obo. I jumped on it. The kid meet me. Went over all of the things that he had fixed, and all of the things that still needed to be fixed. Everything that needed to still be fixed was cosmetic interior stuff, A/C needs to be recharged, new windshield, and alignment, and a small oil leak that I am still trying to track down. I took it for a test drive and it drove great. Brake pedal was a little squishy, but over all, Not bad for the price. After talking to him for awhile then talking to my wife. I asked him, so your price is obo, (even tho I was fine with the first price), what is the lowest you will take cash right now! He thought for a second and said, $1300! My mouth nearly dropped open. I said sold, shook his hand, gave him some cash and drove away. He was happy, I was over the moon, Wife had no reason to kill me. All was good.

Here are some pics when I brought it home.

Attachments

• IMG_1043[1].JPG
    IMG_1043[1].JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1044[1].JPG
    IMG_1044[1].JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1053[1].JPG
    IMG_1053[1].JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1050[1].JPG
    IMG_1050[1].JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1052[1].JPG
    IMG_1052[1].JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1045[1].JPG
    IMG_1045[1].JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1046[1].JPG
    IMG_1046[1].JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1048[1].JPG
    IMG_1048[1].JPG
    40 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1047[1].JPG
    IMG_1047[1].JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1049[1].JPG
    IMG_1049[1].JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

tigger

I plan on doing a slow build and document it along the way. First things first, I am going to go through and change all of the fluids to get a base line, plus pick up all of the small things that the interior needs at pick and pull.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Eggselent. Looks to be in pretty good cosmetic condition, particularly the interior and the roof / hood surfaces.
I see the spare in the back, yours has the 42gal tank? Kind of counter intuitive, but you could put a factory 32gal tank in there instead and fit the spare underneath, if you wanted.

Kmehr

Adventurer
great find, and hell of a price! Is it a 5.7? I've always thought those were some of the best looking factory wheels from any manufacturer. You'll love that truck, suburbans are the tits.

Gigantor

Observer
I've had my '95 Burb for about 18 months and I LOVE it! My build thread is on here too. My wife drives a 4runner that she loves but I grew up in suburban and an happy to have that same experience with my family.
Are you planning to lift yours? I'm contemplating it and am looking for advice...

tigger

great find, and hell of a price! Is it a 5.7? I've always thought those were some of the best looking factory wheels from any manufacturer. You'll love that truck, suburbans are the tits.

When I first went and looked at it I thought it was a 454, but I didn't say anything. The kid put in his post 350. It looked really big for a 350 but I was not really worried.
Started going through everything today, and I was right. It is a 454. Made my day.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My GM truck nut uncle has a special place in his heart for the RV/commercial 8.1L 454 which was pretty rare to find in a pickup and typically found in GM RV's and Commercial applications. He had one of the few Pickups that were built with it he never got better than 10mpg but he could tow is 26ft RV trailer up to Montana at 75mph without so much as breaking a sweat LOL.

He sold that rig after two years decided he didn't need 8.1liters nearly capable of reversing the rotation of the Earth if one were to try. LOL

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Really nice score for the price Tigger. L29 7.4L’s are great engines. The L29 engine also drives on a 10.5” 14 bolt full floating rear axle so that is a bonus too. Not a big fan of the electric shift tcase though. That will be one of the first things to give you troubles. Also looks like you need to go over the accessory belt idlers as the belt routing in your picture is not correct. I suspect the PO had an idle pulley failure and scabbed on a really short belt. You can end up wiping out alternators, belt tensioners and A/C compressors like that.

Here is the correct belt routing for an L29. If yours has a smog pump it will be slightly different on the lower passengers side.
image398.jpg

TXLX

Observer
That's a heck of a find and a deal. My first gm 4x4 was my last, but I might make an exception for $1000 bucks! Good luck, look forward to see what you come up with on your build.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Great deal! Great color as well!

454BeltRouting.jpg

That pic of the routing is kinda dark, here is a factory diagram for the belt routing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179