Just when is it "enough"? (2014 New Year's Resolution)

p nut

butter
I have been a cycling enthiast for years. As such, I have tinkered with current bikes and I'm always looking to try out new bikes. My bike stable has been fluctuating from 2 bikes to 10 bikes. What I've realized is that my buying patterns keep going in "circles." I started with a steel, rigid hardtail, went to a full-suspension, to road bikes, back to hard tails, back to full-suspension, to singlespeeds, fixed gear road, and now the last few weeks, I've been thinking of a FS bike. Seems like I have a bad case of bike ADD (addiction?), as I keep thinking, "ok, I'll buy this bike and that is it. This will be the perfect bike." Then few weeks after building it up, "cycle" starts over again. But no more. For 2014, my resolution is not getting what I want, but wanting what I've got. (yeah, Sheryl Crow song). Current bikes consist of a rigid MTB SS, fixed roadie, SSCX, couple of vintage bikes, and a cargo bike. No swapping bikes or acquiring any more in 2014 for me. I'm just going to ride. I recently bought a book by Grant Peterson, "Just Ride." I agree with a lot of ideas in that book (not all). It's a good read for all cycling enthusiasts.

Look forward to a good riding year in 2014, and for all of you as well.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I hear you. I've kept a cycling journal since 1985 when I started road racing as a wee tot of 12. In that time I've had exactly 77 bikes. That's actual bikes I used regularly, not my novelty bikes. In there I've had everything from DH bikes (not me at all) to full blown time trial rigs and even a few bikes purpose built for the velodrome.

I also went through the cycles of excess when 10 bikes wasn't enough. I'm currently in the "few but nice" phase...again. I have but four bikes, but they're the nicest four bikes I've ever owned.

One thing is for certain, my appetite for new bikes is insatiable.

southpier

Expedition Leader
if you go to the Rivendell website, the last three Rivendell Readers are available online. interesting philosophy. PM me if you want issues #1 - #39.

I'm still hunting for #40.

p nut

butter
So decided to start out the year with a frameset purchase order. :D

But it's for the wife, so we can do fam rides. Surly Disc Trucker will be built up later this month.

Ok, NOW I'm done buying bikes for a while. :)

squatch

Adventurer
I was down to two in 2013 a rigid ss and my mountain tourer. Well hooked up a Ibis Ripley Frame with fork, Thanks Ibis :) And now a Salsa Carbon Bear Grease! I have Bike ADD too. Happy Trails in the New Year Everyone!

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
So decided to start out the year with a frameset purchase order. :D

But it's for the wife, so we can do fam rides. Surly Disc Trucker will be built up later this month.

Ok, NOW I'm done buying bikes for a while. :)

More Surly (it's like more cowbell)! We grabbed my wife a Salsa Vaya a few months ago, however the disc trucker was on the list also. Excited to see how you guys like it.

p nut

butter
I almost bought a Vaya frameset, as she loves that new blue color. But at almost twice the cost, it didn't make sense. I like the Disc Trucker for the slightly fatter tire clearance, but I like the Vaya for the ligher frame and aesthetics. But I think for her uses, either will do, so looking forward to the build up.

p nut

butter
So as an update. In 2014, I bought:

- A custom SS/rigid MTB
- A 650b randonneur bike
- Bridgestone MB-4 (sold later that year)
- Swapped frames on the SSCX bike (to an All City Nature Boy)

So pretty much chucked the New Year's resolution right out the window. Lasted to about April before scratching that new bike itch.

In 2015, bought a fat bike. So current line up:

- MTB
- 650b rando
- SSCX
- fat bike
- Cargo
- fixed roadie

I think this is a well rounded stable. Don't have plans for additional purchases for the year, but who knows?? :D

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've never had the money to have real bike ADD but I've sold all my bikes and most of the parts accumulated over 20 years since getting the Gunnar. It has scratched all the itches and continues to do so going into year 3. I still have my Rhygin Juke SS because I can't bring myself to sell it being very unique and I still have my Redline CX from 1999 because I don't mind leaving it marginally locked outside the bar. I'd add back a CX race bike if I ever decided to do sanctioned racing again but as far as I'm concerned USAC and UCI can pound sand so I just put skinny knobbies on the Gunnar and that's just fine for the Tuesday night New Belgium races. The only thing I've done since the original build of significance is to convert the original 2x10 XT to 1x10. Oh, and I had PUSH take out the spacer during a rebuild to convert the fork from 80mm to 100mm.

That said, I /do/ have some lust for a bike with through axles (my Gunnar is 9mm quick releases on both axles). Also I wish the paint was more durable. I had Gunnar repaint it about a year ago after the summer had worn away several spots to bare metal. The frame bag especially decimated the paint. After the repaint I put patches of clear vinyl frame protectors but truth is next time the issue arises it'll get properly powder coated. I just like the 2012 custom paint scheme I had (English Blue with white panels and pinstripes) so wanted a few years with it.

Last edited:

mtndude23

Observer
Glad, it seems like I'm not the only who says "I'm happy with my bikes and I've got all my bike needs covered" followed soon after by "I could use one of those" or maybe "that'd fun to rail on"

Andy G

Adventurer
The correct number of bikes to be had can be shown in this easy formula...

Correct number = n + 1, where n equals the current number of bikes owned.

A happy bike shop owner sends...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p nut

butter
I've never had the money to have real bike ADD but I've sold all my bikes and most of the parts accumulated over 20 years since getting the Gunnar. It has scratched all the itches and continues to do so going into year 3. I still have my Rhygin Juke SS because I can't bring myself to sell it being very unique and I still have my Redline CX from 1999 because I don't mind leaving it marginally locked outside the bar. I'd add back a CX race bike if I ever decided to do sanctioned racing again but as far as I'm concerned USAC and UCI can pound sand so I just put skinny knobbies on the Gunnar and that's just fine for the Tuesday night New Belgium races. The only thing I've done since the original build of significance is to convert the original 2x10 XT to 1x10. Oh, and I had PUSH take out the spacer during a rebuild to convert the fork from 80mm to 100mm.

That said, I /do/ have some lust for a bike with through axles (my Gunnar is 9mm quick releases on both axles). Also I wish the paint was more durable. I had Gunnar repaint it about a year ago after the summer had worn away several spots to bare metal. The frame bag especially decimated the paint. After the repaint I put patches of clear vinyl frame protectors but truth is next time the issue arises it'll get properly powder coated. I just like the 2012 custom paint scheme I had (English Blue with white panels and pinstripes) so wanted a few years with it.

My fellow resident of the Rockies, Rhygin and Gunnar--you have good taste!

The correct number of bikes to be had can be shown in this easy formula...

Correct number = n + 1, where n equals the current number of bikes owned.

I think the complete formula is n+1 ≤ s-1, where "s" is the number of bikes that causes ire with the spouse.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've noticed and interesting trajectory in the arch of bike experience and the number of bikes that enters one's quiver. It seems to me that when a new rider finally crosses that invisible line from casual rider to genuine enthusiast, the number of bikes needed to quell their lust for more swells. It's almost like a validator for their commitment to the sport. "I have ten bikes, so you know I'm an avid rider."

One of my good friends is now suffering this disease and has a garage with maybe 15 bikes in it. I'd say TWO are worth riding, and in fact, the only two he rides with any regularity. The rest are just misfit toys, trophy bikes to wow his neighbors every time he swings the garage door open.

I admit I go through phases where my bike inventory grows. I do try to limit it to one bike of a particular platform. That said, it's easy to justify a big fleet with one cross bike, one 29er hardtail, one fatty, okay....one rigid fatty, one full suspension fatty. Well, we can't not have a 27.5+ full suspension carbon bike, so let's cram that in the rack....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger