2007 Jumping Jack Build

dnellans

Adventurer
Wheels are just some american racing 16x6 inch (i'd have to look to find backspacing) if i remember correctly. Tires are BFG AT in 215/85/r16. When I was upgrading tires I couldn't really find a lot of good info so played it safe on the sizing. No lift or modifications at all required to run this size, just slap 'em on and you're good to go. I was afraid of running a really wide tire due to all the clearance issues but i don't think running a 235/85/r16 would be a problem as-is. I've got 235/85r16's on the truck but since I didn't bother to swap out the hubs or anything to match my toyota, having matching rims/tires didn't matter all that much to me. Anything bigger than that 215/85 is also going to start sticking out of the wheel well even more which I don't love, so it seems like a pretty good size to me right now.

Totally agree on the table - its pretty big/awkward - if we're at a place with a existing table we'll always use that but I'm too lazy to carry yet another table around so this is the one that goes with us always. Hard to argue with integrated design!

You should look into some of these folding ramps on ebay - i was pretty concerned it was going to be a piece of crap given how cheap it was but I've been pleasantly surprised thus far for 99 bucks.

That fancy pants propane tanks is great - the only issue is that I probably should have gotten a bigger one. For cooking and a 2 night weekend trip its more than enough, but when I was in the desert and it was getting cold and running the big buddy at night, that thing would just chew through propane on every setting it seemed like. So for a week of use, you definitely need a 20lb equiv even if you go with a fancy lightweight once like that. One bummer i've discovered with the tank since purchase though is that when it needs to be "recertified" in 5 years, it looks like basically it can't be. The only places that will recertify them right now aren't even in my state. Maybe in 5 years there will be a place, but I'm not really willing to blow more than $10 in gas to recertify something like that. So thats a major drawback to the composite tanks I wasn't aware of at the time. It sure as hell beats a 20lb metal tipping over and banging around the back of the truck though.

the rear stabalizer appears to be an atwood brand stabalizer - i was googling them on amazon the other day and was surprised you can just buy them with prime even! I'm actually considering changing/adding 4 of them to all the corners since when the fold up out of the way they' don't hurt clearance at all. when my 2 year old is jumping around in the tent, not sleeping, while mom is trying to get a moments rest, not having the trailer bounce so much on the suspension might be a nice upgrade. will report back if i eventually do it.

where are the pics of YOUR jj??

kishzilla

Awesome, thanks for the info on the wheels and tires. I'm probably gunna have to be that guy and outright copy you if I can't find a set on craigs from someone pulling them off their jeep.

As far as the table, I don't even have it on the trailer anymore unless I'm using it as a utility trailer because it's just one more thing to rattle around and make a racket. I'm gunna have to go buy some camper shell weather stripping or something to put between the bed wings and the trailer walls when it's closed because it bangs around so much. I don't worry about it so much if I'm rolling into camp during the day but I usually end up headed into the hills Fridays after work and get to camp at night and I don't like waking up the entire forest in the process. I even thought about some kind of clamp like ones you have on pop-up tent trailers or something to hold the wings secure so there's not so much slop.

I'm probably gunna pass on the propane tank and just stick with the 20lb one. It's way cool but it sounds cost prohibitive for me. They do sell small steel ones that size. maybe I get one of those for the weekend trips.

I did find the atwood stabilizers on amazon too. I ordered one but I haven't put it on yet because the one that's on there that's jacked up has the bracket welded on and there's some kind of press fit bolt that I can't get off holding the arm, so I'm probably going to have to cut the bracket off and then drill holes and bolt the new one on or have it welded on at a shop or something. I'll just stick with the one stabilizer since I seem to have a hard time remembering even just the one lol.

As far as the pics, mines pretty much just stock. I'll take some pics of the cables etc. that I put together to replace the plastic handle jobs later, but here's some that I have of it on the computer now:

XVTup.jpg

pShID.jpg

wqMn1.jpg

YthaH.jpg

MVA70.jpg

vAjVe.jpg

Ynsuj.jpg

jri1n.jpg

dnellans

Adventurer
Hehe - no worries on the wheels! I totally just got mine through a local discount tire, there were lots of style options in that size so you can find others that suite your taste! The clanking of the leaves has annoyed me as well actually, when i have the boat or dirtbikes on top of them they don't clank nearly as much but I've got a solution in mind just like yours - the "grip tape" that is on top of the wheel wells looks like it would be a great material to put on all the rail surfaces where it clanks to deaden the sound. The stuff on my wheel wells is a little too think but harbor freight seems to have a few other options that are rubber grip tape in 1/8-1/4 inch thickness. I haven't gotten around to getting down there yet, but seems like it should work fine, couple small patches in strategic points and should be much improved. I tried to find some rubber grip tape at home depot / lowes / ace and even amazon but most of that tread tape is just sandpaper like material versus rubber. If you find a good source online for it before I find my way to harbor freight, let me know!

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
How do you like the Big Buddy heater? Do you think that a standard Mr Buddy heater would have sufficed for the tent size? According to the website the Big buddy can heat up to 400sq/ft and the standard up to 200. There is also a neat in between size (camp buddy) stated to heat up to 300sq/ft.

I only ask because they seem to be a pretty popular set up, but hesitant about your comments on the amount of propane it burns thru. Wondering if a slightly smaller unit would help me with that.

also, when using the heater in the JJ, do you run into any condensation issues or is ventilation pretty decent? Do your heater have a CO sensor?

Thanks! Set up looks great BTW

kishzilla

How do you like the Big Buddy heater? Do you think that a standard Mr Buddy heater would have sufficed for the tent size? According to the website the Big buddy can heat up to 400sq/ft and the standard up to 200. There is also a neat in between size (camp buddy) stated to heat up to 300sq/ft.

I only ask because they seem to be a pretty popular set up, but hesitant about your comments on the amount of propane it burns thru. Wondering if a slightly smaller unit would help me with that.

also, when using the heater in the JJ, do you run into any condensation issues or is ventilation pretty decent? Do your heater have a CO sensor?

Thanks! Set up looks great BTW

I like mine. I have the Big Buddy version and to be honest if I had to do it over again I would have gotten the smaller one (Portable Buddy?). The big one can be overkill and will cook you straight out of the jumping jack, even with temps reaching single digits outside if you don't have it on a lower setting, plus it would have been nice to have the smaller one just for the sake of logistics. The Big Buddy has come in handy when working out in my 2 1/2 car garage in the winter, and once in a cabin, so it's nice to have the option of using it in a bigger space, but if the intention is to use it to heat the Jumping Jack and as a personal heater outdoors or something then just get the smaller one.

They don't have CO sensors but they do have low oxygen sensors and a tilt sensor on them. Both of which I tested out and they work. I've never ran it through the night while sleeping because it's not necessary with a good sleeping bag imo and is just a waste of fuel. On my hunting trip last October we barely used half of the 20# tank of propane over about 6 days and 5 nights, and we used it for cooking too. I use mine to warm everything up before bed, say 30 minutes or so with all the sleeping bags opened up etc. and then I'll turn it on in the morning before I get up. Only takes maybe 5 to 10 minutes to go from really cold to roasty toasty. As far as condensation, again, never ran it more than an hour or two inside the jumping jack but I never noticed anything. I wouldn't really expect it to though, because it's a big canvas tent so it's going to breath really well anyway. If it was inside a hard sided camper it would probably be a different story.

Also as a side note, the batteries in the heater to work the fan motor last quite a long time, which is important because having that fan on heats things up much quicker as far as I can tell.

dnellans

Adventurer
My answers are nearly exactly the same as Kish above. I got the big buddy since I didn't know what I would really need and its way overkill for heating it up in there. It does have 3 settings, medium appears to use 1/2 the propane of high and low, maybe 1/2 again. I've run it on low overnight on some of the coldest nights to make the wife happy and that seems to be plenty. The high setting is quite hot and is plenty just to warm it up for getting naked/changed/cleaned up. The fan on it is a bit cheesy but the D batteries were more than enough for 2 weeks of trip, and people complain about the AC adaptor being fragile, so its just batteries for me. Like kish I actually use it in the garage once in a while and there having the full blast is nice. If it was just JJ use, you could get away with something much smaller. I haven't even considered condensation nor the O2/CO issue after making sure that both the tilt sensor worked and that it shut itself off quickly after putting a big garbage can over it (mmmm hot garbage can juice smell). The price of the quick connect thing to a propane tank can be a little infuriating, I remember than when I bought it all - other than that its worked great. My biggest propane sink was turning it on high, going outside to take a leak, and ending up leaving it on for 3 hours while the campfire crew convinced me to stay up late for a few more beers...

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
thanks for the feedback. I really like hearing both of ya'lls input. Seems not many talk about the jumping jack much more on here. I too am a tacoma owner, and am looking for a JJ to camp with the family.

kishzilla

The price of the quick connect thing to a propane tank can be a little infuriating, I remember than when I bought it all - other than that its worked great.

I just bought the in line fuel filter and leave that attached to the Big Buddy, and a 5' hose. It was like $30 or $40 all together. Are you talking about something else?

dnellans

Adventurer
i bought the big buddy branded one just because i saw some posts that the quick connect they use is non-standard but it sounds like maybe its not. i'm mostly just being a crusty old man about having to spend $40 on an accessory for a $120 item =p

Weeds

Adventurer
I just bought the in line fuel filter and leave that attached to the Big Buddy, and a 5' hose. It was like $30 or $40 all together. Are you talking about something else?
It does not hurt to carry a spare fuel filter, mine plugged after a couple of seasons using the bulk propane. I assume if the filter clogged from dirty propane the heating surface could also clog? Just wondering if anyone knows.

dnellans

Adventurer
huh - the one they sell as their branded attachment doesn't seem to have a filter - its just the regulator and a much longer hose than needed. maybe the regulator is getting all gunked up instead and will eventually crap out

kishzilla

It does not hurt to carry a spare fuel filter, mine plugged after a couple of seasons using the bulk propane. I assume if the filter clogged from dirty propane the heating surface could also clog? Just wondering if anyone knows.

If my filter ever clogged on me I wouldn't be too worried about running it straight from the tank until I got back to town for a new one, personally. a few hours isn't going to kill the heater. And the whole point of the filter is so that the fuel is clean by the time it gets to the catalytic portion of the heater so you should be fine if you have a functioning filter. Honestly I'm a little dubious as to how necessary the filter really is. I ran my Big Buddy straight from the tank for like a year until I saw someone on a forum or something talking about the filter so I figured I'd buy one just in case. Never noticed anything with the heater before using the filter or since.

kishzilla

huh - the one they sell as their branded attachment doesn't seem to have a filter - its just the regulator and a much longer hose than needed. maybe the regulator is getting all gunked up instead and will eventually crap out

It's kind of counter intuitive, but this is how I've gathered it works.

If you are using high pressure (no regulator/ from a 20# tank etc.) then you need the filter to keep the propane from dissolving oily contaminates in the hose because it could be at 120psi or more and something to do with that high pressure and the material that the hose is made of creates an oily residue that can jack up the heater. I think that's largely dependent on the hose but I digress. Now if you use a low pressure setup, i.e. regulated before the heater from an RV source or from your regulator hose, you don't need the filter because the propane is delivered before the hose connection at 1 or 2psi like the little canisters, and doesn't create the oily residue that comes from the higher temps, so no filter is necessary. That's why you're able to use the little bottles with nothing else, because there's no hose etc. and its at a lower psi.

I went with the hose and filter set up because they didn't have the regulator and hose set up locally and I wanted something then and there. I don't think the filter really does anything as long as you don't have a cheapass hose, but it's not in the way since I just leave it on the heater anyway, so buying it wasn't hurting anything other than spending money that may or may not have needed to be spent.

ilguy

Observer
Morning JJ er's!

I think this has been talked about but what has been used to quiet down the "beds" when traveling. The metal slapping sound really gets to me.

Thanks

Sorry for the hijack Dnels!

kishzilla

Morning JJ er's!

I think this has been talked about but what has been used to quiet down the "beds" when traveling. The metal slapping sound really gets to me.

Thanks

Sorry for the hijack Dnels!

I'm still working on it myself. I think a better option might be to fore go the way that the jumping jack bed wings are secured in the first place since there is slop built into the design by only having the front secured via the bolt in a slot on the bed wings, and nothing in the back. It was designed to have a load on the top, and as Dnellans said, when you have a bike or quad or something on top it doesn't clank around.

I was thinking of getting some latches like these:
Latches1_zpsa2fbd9e1.jpg

and putting a pair on the front and the back. As well as putting some kind of rubber gasket or something. I just think that if I don't find a way to secure the back side of the bed wings, that in spite of there being material between the pieces of metal, youre still going to have banging when you go over washboard etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior