All-Purpose Scout 80 build

snekvasil

Adventurer
I've been following this build for a long time, but I think this is my first post. How do you like the sheet metal cutter? I'm impressed with the results.

MotoDave

Explorer
Are you done yet?

Are you? :) Are these trucks ever done?

I've been following this build for a long time, but I think this is my first post. How do you like the sheet metal cutter? I'm impressed with the results.

The rotabroach cuts really nicely, definitely a step up from hole saws, and leave a cleaner hole for sure. They seem to have less of a tendency to walk and chatter than hole saws when using with a hand drill. I'm looking into getting some larger sizes as well but they get pretty expensive quick.

MotoDave

Explorer
My garage is currently stuffed full of the contents of my house, we're replacing the crap floors that were in there when we bought. I figured my wife might be happier if I didn't bring the couches back into the house full of grinding dust, so I came up with another project to work on this weekend - shock reservoir clamps.

I helped a friend start up a business machining billet AR15 and AR10 sets, and I've still got access to the machine (Haas VF-1) when I want to. Also have access to a lot of free 7075 material, but its not always the shape I really need, so I got creative and nested 2 parts in one block.
2015-03-06%252014.59.27.jpg

A few more steps, we've got a clamp!
2015-03-07%252020.27.04.jpg

Seems to work
2015-03-08%252021.48.38.jpg

2015-03-08%252021.48.45.jpg

superbuickguy

Explorer
those look excellent

My wife is a mechanical engineer, and (with remarkable frequency) she's offered pretty cool stuff for free (e.g. I have a laser welder that I got for free). I've told her that she needs to be sure and get me (at least) a 5 axis mill in her scrounging...

MotoDave

Explorer
those look excellent

My wife is a mechanical engineer, and (with remarkable frequency) she's offered pretty cool stuff for free (e.g. I have a laser welder that I got for free). I've told her that she needs to be sure and get me (at least) a 5 axis mill in her scrounging...

This mill has a 4th axis, neat for some stuff but pretty unnecessary for most of what I'd use it for as a hobby. I think the Haas Toolroom mills, now that they come with enclosures, are pretty nice for a 'garage' CNC. I could also see getting a converted Knee mill some day, but for now I'm happy to use the fancy stuff while I have access to it.

Very cool! I'd love that kind of access!

Thanks, its fun to get to work with neat tools, but can also turn into work pretty quick.

superbuickguy

Explorer
nice, I just started on rust holes on my '40.... thanks again for your 3 link calculator, it was the perfect starting point. I'd post all that up on pirate, but, well, I've come to the conclusion nothing ever gets discussed there ;)

how did you come up with the weight of your scout for your springs? eduguess?

MotoDave

Explorer
nice, I just started on rust holes on my '40.... thanks again for your 3 link calculator, it was the perfect starting point. I'd post all that up on pirate, but, well, I've come to the conclusion nothing ever gets discussed there ;)

how did you come up with the weight of your scout for your springs? eduguess?

OK, this is all based on some educated guesses, but here goes:

Assumed Scout weight 4500 lbs, assuming 65% of the weight on the front axle. Using 350 lbs for the front axle, 250 for the rear, and ~80 lbs per wheel/tire combo, the front corner sprung weight is 1207.5 lbs, rear is 582.5 lbs.

I want 2" of spring preload at full extension and 7" bump at ride height (5" shock shaft showing), so 1207.5 lbs / (2" preload + 7" compression) = 134 lb/in target spring rate.

If I use a 300 lb/in main and a 275 lb/in secondary spring I'll get a combined rate of 144 lb/in, so that will probably be my starting point. I'm not planning to use the slider stop, don't like the idea of a drastic change in spring rate on a street driven truck.

We will see how all of this works out, i will get actual corner weights as soon as most of the major bits are in the truck. I expect to do some trial and error tuning of spring rates and shock damping, its part of the reason I went with coilovers.

superbuickguy

Explorer
a whole new mountain to climb (learn)... I'm not sure I have a good starting point of weight for my '40... and I really don't want to spend $1,000 on a vehicle scale - though, I'm already $200 towards that with the mis-bought JK springs...

MotoDave

Explorer
A friend of mine built a fulcrum device to lift each corner of the truck using a beam torque wrench, that's what I'll use to get more accurate corner weights. If you have a spring of known rate (easy to calculate based off a few measurements) you can also measure how much compression you get with the vehicle on it and calculate weight back out.

Pirate 4x4 has a good thread for buying and selling or trading used coilover springs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger